N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
http://wbal.com/stories/anmviewer.asp?a=31735

Arrest In College Park High Tech Bomb Threat
Thursday, June 02, 2005
WBAL Radio as reported by John Patti

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]University of Maryland College Park Police have charged a campus employee in connection with a bomb threat that was e-mailed through the university's homepage.

The threat forced the evacuation of the South Campus Dining hall for one day.

Police say 40 year old Vernon Bland of Hyattsville e-mailed the bomb threat as a joke.

Bland was employed by dining services. However, Director of Dining Services Pat Higgins said Bland will no longer be employed by dining services.

University of Maryland Campus Police Major Cathy Atwell says Bland has been charged with filing a false report, filing a false threat of a bomb, making a false statement to police and disorderly conduct. He could fce a penalty of up to $10,000 or 10 years in prison.
[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

How honestly stupid do you have to be to think bomb threats are funny? Or to NOT know they're illegal?? (Aren't they felonies?)
[/font]

Greebo said:
How honestly stupid do you have to be to think bomb threats are funny? Or to NOT know they're illegal?? (Aren't they felonies?)[/size][/font]

That's a good question. Who was it that said that nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public? I'm no longer surprised by these types of things. :dunno:

I've never understood the mentality of people who do things like this.

I remember a munitions guy in Guam who thought it would be funny to come up to my entry control point (ECP)one day and set a clock that looked like some sticks of dynamite strapped together on the ledge in front of my armored window. Now, this was an ECP into a nuclear weapons storage area. Talk about zero sense of humor, we made the Secret Service look like a gang of absolute party animals when it came to those kind of areas. Yet this yahoo thought his little clock was going to be funny. He ended up wetting his pants, because my assistant in the entrapment area, who did not have the advantage of being behind a foot or so of steel and concrete, came within a fraction of a second of blowing his head right off of his shoulders. Poor guy was bawling like a baby. Needless to say, his problems were just beginning. This guy wasn't even new, he was a staff sergeant, he had to have known that he was going to be in a whole load of trouble. I just don't understand what prompts people to do such things.

Back