He's going to sell my airplane.....

Kaye

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iPlaneless
As some of you know, I'm in a fractional lease with the Trinidad. The owner informed us last week he's selling the plane this year. :(

He's probably going to replace it with a "new, more capable airplane." I know he's been looking hard at the Columbia and has run some numbers in the past. Based on those numbers, it would be a hefty increase to my cost of flying, and it's not a "ditty-bop" plane.....as in when I don't have a destination, I just want to go ditty-bopping around. With the Columbia, if you're going to start it up, ya better be going somewhere.

I'm really satisfied with the arrangement I'm currently in, and the owner takes excellent care of the airplane, so this is really tough deciding what to do. I don't look forward to relying on FBO rentals.

When I retire in a few years, I plan on getting a sailplane so I can afford to keep flying. There's a glider club close to the farm where we will eventuallly live. With this latest news, I told the husband that I might do it now instead of waiting for retirement. No reaction from the husband one way or the other.

Couple of days later, Karl tells me to go with the Columbia or whatever the owner ends up buying since I like the arrangement and the plane is well cared for. He still wants me to fly him places :)yes: ), but get this.......he doesn't want me flying gliders since they don't have an engine.:dunno: He's never mentioned before that he didn't like gliders. Sheesh!

Oh, and Karl's co-workers agree that I should go with the new plane......they all want rides.:D

So, I'll probably go with the new plane. But I'll sure miss the Trinnie.......hey, maybe it won't sell!!!

Kaye

ps....I asked the owner to buy a Husky, but he said we'd be the only 2 flying it.....hhmmmmmmmm......

the safety record for gliders is much much better than airplanes with failed engines. perhaps a day at the glider club is in order for both of you, with a good intro to him on what flying a sailplane is really like. many people assume that lack of engine means lack of control which is, obviously, completely untrue.

...but get this.......he doesn't want me flying gliders since they don't have an engine.:dunno: He's never mentioned before that he didn't like gliders. Sheesh!
Karl must have met a few of the shady characters who fly gliders. Has he been to the Midwest?

:D

Bummer. Yeah, you don't putt around the pattern in the Columbia.:yes:

Kaye any chance you putting together a club to buy the Trinnie with the other lesees?

Kaye any chance you putting together a club to buy the Trinnie with the other lesees?

Probably not. There's only 4 of us. #1 = the owner, #2 = been chomping at the bit for more than 2 years for a Columbia, #3 = his flying habits don't mesh with my personal opinions, and #4 = me.

So out of the 4 of us, I'd be the only one. And if I was doing that kind of money alone, I'd get a Husky. :yes: But since I haven't won the powerball, it's not happening anytime soon.

There's another Trinnie on the field, an older model, that has a similar setup with 4 pilots, and it had an opening. But the owner also has that plane for sale.

From what I gather, it's difficult to meet insurance requirements for reasonable rates when you're dealing with a HP, complex airplanes. So finding pilots who qualify can be difficult.

I wonder how the insurance will change with the new (younger, small fleet, etc) airplane, given the same group of pilots.

Would you folks be looking to expand the group a little to help offset the higher costs of the Columbia?

If I hang on to the Commander and move it to DC.....

Back