Hernias

U

Unregistered

Recently went in for a medical and the doc was inspecting my private parts. Thats seems a little sketchy. I'm A guy. He said he was looking for a hernia. I didn't have one but if I did why does that matter for flying? Why does the doc need to fondle me to see if I'm fit to fly?

Hopefully, the 3rd class medical will be history soon.
It's not going to be history anytime soon, but it may soon become optional for people with US drivers licenses who wish to exercise only limited Private or Recreational Pilot privileges.

My AME does a "thorough" exam including prostate and hernia. My primary care Dr. (Kaiser) not so much.

My AME does a "thorough" exam including prostate and hernia. My primary care Dr. (Kaiser) not so much.
My AME asks me if I'd had a prostate check within the last 12 months. If the answer is "no", he offers to do the check in the interest of my health more than to make the FAA happy. I would point out that at my age (63), such checks are kind of important, although I understand some docs now are foregoing the digital exam as long as the PSA results remain stable and "normal".

Last edited:
My AME didn't check prostate or hernia.
so I went to a couple others until I finally found my new AME :rofl:

My AME didn't check prostate or hernia.
so I went to a couple others until I finally found my new AME :rofl:
LOL

When I did mine last year, he checked my sack. But I thought it was because he was a urologist. That's not a joke either. I didn't know he was checking for hernia.

LOL

When I did mine last year, he checked my sack. But I thought it was because he was a urologist. That's not a joke either. I didn't know he was checking for hernia.

I don't mind them checking there, but is all the giggling and pointing necessary?

"Do whatever you need to Doc, but I gotta warn you I had red chili for dinner and green chili on my breakfast burrito." ;)

Last edited:
If the doctor is thorough.....they will always check for a hernia. It's a normal part of a well done physical. A strangulated hernia can kill you. Doctors are like auto mechanics or aircraft mechanics, some good some not very good. Prostate should be checked also.

Wouldn't you have at least an inkling that you have a strangulated hernia before you go for the exam?

You might or.... You might not. Let me repeat. A well done physical will include both a hernia check and a prostate check.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back