hernia question

U

Unregistered

Does discovery of an inguinal hernia during a physical exam (not an FAA physical) require a pilot to self ground?

Unregistered said:
Does discovery of an inguinal hernia during a physical exam (not an FAA physical) require a pilot to self ground?

I passed a class 1 med with a Umbilical Hernia , so I would say no.

I lived with it a year. It hurt less 12 hr after surgery then is had since it came about......

Moral of the story.... Get it fixed & get it fixed now.

Now days you are home the same day & then driving, flying in a week or less.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure the FAA considers umbilical and inguinal on the same footing though.

Mine is small and pretty much asymptomatic, though I've long suspected I had it because of a slight pulling sensation there when I strain. There is no protruding mass and no pain or interference with movement. It's not a question of do I get it fixed, of course I do, and sooner rather than later, but that could still be a couple of months or more because it's elective. My question is, do I have to self ground until then.

I can see no way there would be a difference as to where your insides are sticking out of. The risks are the same.

It is really the same problem.

If no MD steps in with an answer, You should prolly call AOPA's help desk if you are a member.

Good Luck.

Unregistered said:
My question is, do I have to self ground until then.

No, you don't have to self ground before the surgery. Afterwards, ground until your doctor says it is Okay. I tell people not to drive until they can get up and down without looking like they just had surgery.(usually takes about a week) If you can do that then your reflexes(reaction times) will pretty much be up to snuff. Flying would probably be okay at that point also. However, there is no lifting, pushing or pulling for awhile after hernia surgery (the time depends on the type of surgery and the surgeon) So you might not be able to pull your plane out or push it back for a longer period of time. (2-6 weeks). When you go for your next medical list under "other surgery" and say you had Hernia surgery, doing well, and have no activity restrictions. That should be good enough.

Barb (AME and General Surgeon)

And Barb is too modest to add, "Hernias are like oil leaks. They don't get better on their own".

Thanks Drs. Barb and Bruce. As I said I'm not putting off surgery, I just don't expect to be able to get in before late August or September. Good to know I don't have to ground myself until then!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back