Here's what a tornado looks like on TDWR

scottd

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
scottd

Last edited:
That's amazing. Any idea of the vertical windspeed needed to generate 2"+ hail? The biggest I've ever seen is maybe 1/4".

Is that green wedge on about a 340 radial a TBSS?

I was in 3.5" (9 cm) hail in Munich, GE in 1984. Dinged my car. :) Between $1 billion and $2 billion in insurance claims. Here's the video in German. You don't need to speak German to see what hail this size does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ-nEDcwTpY&feature=related

Last edited:
Jim,

No. But it's a good observation on your part. It's just a beam blockage issue that's always there. Here it is on another day where a squall line was moving through.

Interesting. I hadn't seen that one before. This past fall I took a satelite & radar interpretation class and we looked at all kinds of issues with radar stuff. Never saw just a blockage similar to that one.

Below is an image from the Charlotte Terminal Doppler Weather Radar (TDWR). These are off-airport Doppler radars that have a lower elevation angle than the NEXRAD Doppler radars. So, they do an excellent job depicting rotations. This is the velocity image and notice the "spot" of differing colors within the white circle on the left side of the image. This is a classic tornado signature.

Tornado-Signature-TDWR-Annot.gif

My house was in the path of this cell. No tornadoes at my house, but we got pelted with 2"+ size hail here in Charlotte.

We were treated to quite a few views like that in Pinellas County Fla. week before last. Hunkered in our condo, we watched as the squall line went across and over to Sun-n-Fun. The local weather reporters were all agog at the multiple rotations in the line, and showed off weather products that we never get to see on the 6 o'clock news. I half expected to see a skew-T chart pulled up!
Happily, no twisters touched our place, but they tore up the place a couple miles north at St. Petersburg airport.

I hope your hail attack did no serious damage.

Jim

yep that was our massive hail storm for 2010. there were a few airliners parked outside at the airport that got pummelled. lots of damage on the west side of town.

hail storm 2009 here managed to hit centered on the minor league baseball field during a game. whole parking lot full of cars with busted out windows.

haven't gotten hail storm 2011 yet but we are in a tornado watch today...

Holy Crap .:hairraise::hairraise::hairraise:

That there will leave a mark on the hood/roof fender of any car, and I bet it will not buff right out either....

Can you imagine the poor cows/horses etc standing is a field getting hit by that stuff.:sad::sad::sad:

Ben.

Back