Here's a new twist.

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
I have an acquaintance who is looking to buy into my airplane partnership. He is a CPSEL-IA. He went to a part 141 school for his training. Through some problematic math, he ended up getting his connercial single engine certificate in less than the required amount of time. Neither his instructor nor the examiner noticed the problem. The problem was later noticed at the school where he was enrolled. Nothing was done about it as he already passed his checkride. Now he would like to get his multi-engine rating. My insurance will require him to get more than enough hours to go past the time requirement that was in place for the past certificate, but will there be an issue if the examiner looks back when he goes for the checkride? This could have repercussions for both him and the school.

I would think that if the FAA OKC processed and issued the certificate, then it's a done deal. How many hours was he short? Remember part 141 school hours requirement are less than part 61. If he got his Commercial under pt141, then adding ME under part 61 should be no issue.

I would think that if the FAA OKC processed and issued the certificate, then it's a done deal. How many hours was he short? Remember part 141 school hours requirement are less than part 61. If he got his Commercial under pt141, then adding ME under part 61 should be no issue.

He had around 150 hours at the time, which was 40 hours shy of the required amount for 141, and about 100 hours shy for part 61.

Typically when the FAA discovers a 141 school cheating on the hours they require all students to get retested. Fun, eh? He may be best off being pro active with the FAA on this. It would probably help to get legal counsel to run a bit of interference at the start so that he comes away clean. The 141 school and the DPE are not going to get away so easily.

He had around 150 hours at the time, which was 40 hours shy of the required amount for 141, and about 100 hours shy for part 61.

No FTD/simulator time on top of that? I know people who had a commercial certificate at just over 140 hours in an airplane (with 140 being the minimum)

Back