Here kitty kitty...

Everskyward

Experimenter
Display Name

Display name:
Everskyward
Working out in the yard yesterday I felt a pair of eyes watching me. Looking up I saw a little tan-colored cat sitting by the shed. "Hey kitty", wait a minute, you don't quite look like a kitty...

Took me a second for me to figure out what it was. This little guy is pretty fearless or stupid. I was probably within 10 feet when I took the picture and I had to keep making noise to get it to look at me. Now I understand why holes have been appearing under the concrete slabs of my back porch and front step. I thought it was a skunk, which I've had living here before, or an oversize rabbit. When I first moved to the "country" I used to do combat with these critters that tried to move in but I've developed more of a live and let live attitude these days. :dunno:

Attachments

• Fox.jpg
    Fox.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 104
Mari,
Ill trade you a couple of those uparmored bunnies we've got around here for your new outdoor "kitty".

Attachments

• 200px-Armadillo.jpg
    200px-Armadillo.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 35
Mari,
Ill trade you a couple of those uparmored bunnies we've got around here for your new outdoor "kitty".
The bunnies around here are going to need to be uparmored with the "kitty" family around! :eek:

No wonder I haven't seen any bunnies recently...

Working out in the yard yesterday I felt a pair of eyes watching me. Looking up I saw a little tan-colored cat sitting by the shed. "Hey kitty", wait a minute, you don't quite look like a kitty...

Took me a second for me to figure out what it was. This little guy is pretty fearless or stupid. I was probably within 10 feet when I took the picture and I had to keep making noise to get it to look at me. Now I understand why holes have been appearing under the concrete slabs of my back porch and front step. I thought it was a skunk, which I've had living here before, or an oversize rabbit. When I first moved to the "country" I used to do combat with these critters that tried to move in but I've developed more of a live and let live attitude these days. :dunno:
Beautiful creature. I wish we had one in our yard. You don't have to be in the country to have them. We were driving home from my parent's house in suburbia one evening and saw one dart across the road, illuminated by our headlights. I've seen them at our suburban local airport, too.

I saw a show on TV once about a British boy who had something happen in the house and couldn't figure out what was going on. They rigged up a video camera and discovered a fox was sneaking in the house at night, going upstairs to his room, then laying down on his bed for a while. Then he'd leave.

I've heard it's possible to domesticate foxes if you're patient and wait a few generations.

I think I'd welcome it if one moved in to my yard. They would keep the other varmints at bay. I just read that one cure to keep deer out is
spreading fox urine.

We had one cross the runway at the nearby airport, where there are lots of deer. I can't imagine how that little thing can bring down a deer, but I guess there's a reason why deer are considered gentle.

I can't imagine how that little thing can bring down a deer, but I guess there's a reason why deer are considered gentle.
Think about the fawns.... The deer don't select adult communities, they want a children friendly neighborhood.

-Skip

Around here, the risks with having a resident fox are:

a) The local population of cats and very small dogs may decline promptly.

b) We have rabies in the wild around us. Foxes, being the top of the food chain, often get rabies from their dinner. Be very alert for strange behavior on the part of the fox.

But I am jealous! I love foxes. Can you tell if it is a fox or a vixen? You could soon have a den of fox pups. Would that be cute or what?

-Skip

wow i dont think ive ever seen a fox during the day. they dont say "sly as a fox" for nothing.

Also in Elizabeth, a fox used to harass my sons very old and arthritic dog. The dog was tied up when he was outside and the fox would actually poop in his food bowl. Son caught the fox up on the roof once and startled him from the low side of the roof. The fox launched into space from the two story part of the house and didn't come back for a while.

Can you tell if it is a fox or a vixen? You could soon have a den of fox pups. Would that be cute or what?
This is a pup which I think may be a few months old. I haven't seen the vixen or any other pups, but I haven't been home much the past few weeks. I have seen adult foxes running across my yard before, in fact there was a 3-legged one for a while. However, this is the first time they have seen it fit to move in.

Mari,

Careful with them, they can carry Leperosy which you can catch from blood contact with their poo. I know a guy in TX who caught it playing High School Football. Got tackled and scraped in a piece of armadillo manure.

Back