Hemifacial spasm

R

Rudderman

Has anyone had experience getting a third class medical with a hemifacial spasm condition (facial twitch)?:blueplane: :blueplane: :blueplane:

Rudderman said:
Has anyone had experience getting a third class medical with a hemifacial spasm condition (facial twitch)?:blueplane: :blueplane: :blueplane:

These fall into the category of orthopedic conditions (even though they are neurologic) insofar as they are entirely "motor". So long as the twitch is not of the sort that would render one with difficulty in controlling the visual scan, hand motions, neck motions- it shouldn't be an issue. These are usually dealt with in box 60 by the AME with a single comment.

If it is of the magnitude that the listed items are called into question, then the AME needs to call the FSDO and arrange a medical checkride. In the case of a student, he issues a medical "valid for student purposes only". You can then go through the training, but just before the checkride there is the medical ride with a FSDO inspector, so that he can verify you can do all the tasks in spite of the "twitch". Then you're good to go.

Thanks Bruce. My AME deferred my case to FAA for a high blood pressure issue (now solved and blessed by FAA) but FAA then wanted to see all neurologic records on the facial twitch which I then faxed to them on Feb 1st. Still waiting to hear something back.

Dave, It's 60 days. Start bugging the FAA regularly at 405-954-4821. Be polite, but be persistent. Take names, keep records. Cite the person with whom you spoke to the next person with whom you speak. The file gets labelled "interested airman". I do think they move more quickly.

It would be even better if you had an interested AME. He could call in and get it reviewed on the spot...were there an incentive for him to do so. Sigh.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back