Helpful Additions to Pilot Library

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
For those on here who are working towards or considering the CFI -- FWIW, Here's my list of books that I found helpful in preparing to instruct with some editorial comment on each:
  • ASA "The Pilot's Manual" Series -- Well written, clear illustrations, at about 1/2 the price of equivalent Jepp series.
  • William Kershner, Flight Instructor Manual -- The best (and only) book written for the aspiring and new CFI. I consider this a must-read.
  • William Kershner, Student Pilot's Flight Manual -- A very good primary book. Will not appeal to all students, but was a good review for me of what to cover with student pilots.
  • Jeppessen, Guided Flight Discovery, Flight Instructor Manual -- Excellent text, though written for typical undergraduate.
  • Gleim Flight Instructor Practical Test Prep -- I'm still not a fan of the presentation (indented paragraphs from beginning to end), but this book worked as a "Pick it up, pick a section at random, and see if I know this" type reference. I've yet to be able to go through a Gleim book cover to cover (I've used them for Instrument and Commercial).
  • Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators (ASA reprint) -- If you're serious about aviation, you'll own, read, and even understand most of this book.
FAA texts:
  • Airplane Flying Handbook -- Must have -- read an know this and you'll know what you need to for the FAA practical
  • Pilot's Encyclopedia of Aeronautical Knowledge -- Another must have
  • Aviation Weather -- A classic
  • Aviation Weather Services -- reference only -- written in ponderous, bureaucratic style
Knowledge Exam prep
  • ASA Test Prep
  • checkride.com test prep software
There are thousands of books, and a few dozen others every CFI should have in his/her library. These include (but are in no way limited to):

• Stick and Rudder
  • The Savvy Flight instructor
  • I learned about flying from that books
Please add to this list, as I'm sure there are plenty of other good books out there!

For those on here who are working towards or considering the CFI
Regardless if you want to be a CFI but just a competant pilot those are a good list of books you should have. I would add the Jepp Instrument commercial book in place of the flight instructor manual in that case. But other than that....

Aviation Instructor's Handbook

Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge

A book on spins explaining mechanics: Kershner's Book on Aerobatics has a good section

Gleim Flight Instructor Flight Maneuvers - More involved in preparing for oral

There are more but my mind is drawing a blank at the moment. All of my books and binders I kept while preparing fills nearly two paper boxes. While researching, you'll find hundreds of articles you'll want to print. Some will help immediately. Others, you'll want to keep for a later date. I have a bunch I need to organize into binders and topics.

If you're serious about creating lesson plans, make them worth the effort. I've seen some that were very short and lame. I added a lot of graphics to mine so they could be of use to students such as further explanations with good graphic detail on constant speed props. Some CFIs say they never looked at them again after the checkride. I didn't look at them during the checkride. But, I'll dang sure draw upon them during teaching.

Aviation Instructor's Handbook

It's ok.... While required reading for any CFI candidate, there are plenty of good texts on Education and Training theory and application. I read and studied this one so I could speak in FAA terms, but most of it is standard stuff.

(For example -- the Army uses "Task, Conditions, and Standards" for task skill description)

Also, that book was revised prior to the release of FITS -- a much more natural and applicable training approach.

Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge

The lastest incarnation is Pilot's Encyclopedia of Aeronautical Knowledge. This rev has a more complete discussion of Newton's 3rd law as a factor in lift, etc. It's a good update.

A book on spins explaining mechanics: Kershner's Book on Aerobatics has a good section

Kershner has a chapter on spins in his Flight Instructor Manual.

Stowell's Emergency Maneuver Training is an excellent spin primer and has lots of other aerodynamic theory as well. Add this to a "must have for CFIs" (and "strongly recommended for all pilots") list.

I agree with the other references but it's not only a good idea to have the FAA books, it may well be expected by a DPE and almost certainly by a FSDO inspector. The PTS references only the FAA books. That's the catch to be ready for.

Back