Help with electricity

The term "electron flow" implies the movement of electrons. As I was taught, the electrons jump from atom to atom, but they'll travel at a rate of maybe inches per hour in a conductor. Their effect in the conductor is immediate (speed of light or something close to it) as shown by the balls-in-a-pipe analogy. A Coulomb is about 6.24 x 10*18th electrons past a given point in a conductor in one second and represents a flow of one ampere. Sounds like a lot of electrons, but there are a lot of atoms in a conductor.

A battery's weight doesn't rise with charge. The number of electrons within it doesn't change. Every electron leaving the negative pole requires another one entering at the positive. In the typical lead-acid battery, the plates consist of lead and lead peroxide. They're immersed in sulfuric acid, and as electrons are moved along they're pushed by the reaction of the acid with the plates, with the result that the acid mostly becomes water and the plates both become lead sulfate. With the battery made of dissimilar metals and an acid, it produces electron flow. With plates of the same material immersed in water, it makes nothing. The neat thing about secondary cells like this is their rechargability; forcing electrons backwards through it turns the water back into sulfuric acid and the lead sulfate into lead and lead peroxide again. The chemistry here: http://www.green-planet-solar-energy.com/how-batteries-work.html

Sure, the specific gravity of the acid is higher than the water, which makes it heavier, but as the acid turns to water the lead picks up the weight by turning to lead sulfate.

Old and clumsy and somewhat dangerous technology that should soon disappear.

The generator typically seen on old airplanes (and in old cars) was a heavy thing that produced much less power per pound than the alternator. It does produce AC but the action of the commutator and brushes rectify it to DC. The world had to wait for compact, efficient, low-forward-resistance diodes for the alternator to produce its DC output. The old generators could "bootstrap" themselves using residual magnetism in the field pole shoes, so that if the battery was totally dead the generator (if you got the engine started somehow) would produce a small current that was fed to the field poles via the regulator and the output would rise to a useable level real quick. The alternator is not inclined to do this, because the diodes still have a breakover cutoff (or whatever the EEs call it) of a volt or so, just enough to prevent that first little bit of flow from getting to the output. This is textbook stuff, but I also learned it the hard way by once killing a battery really dead by leaving the headlights on in my truck. My elders, having grown up with generators, said "we'll just tow it and it'll start." It did not. They were used to the old generators that would pony up enough juice to get themselves going and eventually (rather quickly, actually) making enough for spark. Had to find some jumper cables.

The magneto is an AC generator. No diodes, no commutators, no brushes. The coil in it gets an alternating flow so that the spark output is also alternating, which is why we rotate the spark plugs when we clean them. A spark erodes one electrode depending on its direction, and if we leave them in the same positions for a long time they won't last as long since one electrode will wear out really quickly. Like not rotating your tires periodically.

Dan

Last edited:
Best post on this thread Dan. Informative, concise, and best of all you confirmed two of my analogies!

Yep, direct current and like you pointed out, an alternator (AC generator) uses rectifiers and filters to convert and refine alternating current into DC. From my understanding, it's actually a pulsating DC that is filtered as much as possible to apporximate true direct current. It not 100% DC as you get from a battery or DC generator.

This is how I remember it from school.
The output from an automotive or aircraft alternator isn't "pulsing" all that much because it comes from three phase full wave rectification. Single phase full wave rectification delivers a voltage waveform that looks like a series of adjacent half sines running from zero volts up to the peak voltage and back to zero twice for each cycle of input AC. With the three phase version the ripple is reduced to about 10% of the average voltage (vs 100% for single phase).

So it's like the horizontal stack of suspended metal balls that knock back and forth? The stack barely shifts but transmits it's energy quickly?

Yes it is. The same analogy applies to sound propagation in solids, water and air.

José

True, that.

It seems like a pressure equation and the mechanism is the increased repulsive force of like charged particles as their proximity is reduced. As you 'squeeze' the atoms together excited with potential, the electrons get closer together and the repulsive force will increase in an exponential fashion. Kinda holds up with higher voltage being exponentially more thermally efficient than lower voltage as well.

Not quite. Higher voltage is more efficient because for a given power transfer you need less current at the higher voltage. Less current means less I squared R loss in the conductor. Hence, greater efficiency.

The output from an automotive or aircraft alternator isn't "pulsing" all that much because it comes from three phase full wave rectification. Single phase full wave rectification delivers a voltage waveform that looks like a series of adjacent half sines running from zero volts up to the peak voltage and back to zero twice for each cycle of input AC. With the three phase version the ripple is reduced to about 10% of the average voltage (vs 100% for single phase).

True, I was just trying to keep it as simple as possible. Didn't want to confuse the OP with all of the details of three phase circuits and the fact that each phase is 120 degrees apart, Peak Voltage is at the 90 & 270 degree points, Peak to Peak voltage, RMS (root mean square) voltage=.707*Peak,etc:D.

Anyhow, yes you are correct. We have three phase AC coming from the power generating plants. On my job, we use all three phases. Your house gets single phase...(residential supply is single phase 240/120Vac)

We get 13200 volts AC supplied from Con-ED & PSE&G, then we step that down to 480V to feed our 3 phase motors.

At the airports, we use 4160V and that's fed into constant current regulators which feed isolation transformers for the airport lighting, signs, etc. This keeps the field lighting consistant throughout regardless of how big the airport is and how many lamps are in the circuit.

Each runway/taxiway light gets the same current which illuminates it to the same brightness level as the rest. There are five brightness steps available.

It's a big series circuit believe it or not. A very effective system. Hey but what happens when a bulb burns out, do we lose all of the runway lights:idea:

So if a battery doesn't gain weight or atoms, how does it increase pressure? It seems to me that it would mean that the atoms are each taking up more space being excited by the energy input....

So if a battery doesn't gain weight or atoms, how does it increase pressure? It seems to me that it would mean that the atoms are each taking up more space being excited by the energy input....

The movement of electrons is based solely on the production of surplus electrons when sulfuric acid breaks down into water and the sulfur bonds with the lead. The chemistry link I posted shows that quite nicely. I am no chemist but those equations seem simple enough to me. As I understand it, a chemical bond depends on the sharing of electrons when atoms combine to form molecules, and certain combinations result in surplus electrons. Other combinations require extra electrons from somewhere, reflected in the recharging equation here.
When more pressure is required, we need stronger acid and the presence of purer lead and lead sulfate. Not that no reaction happens unless there is electron exchange, which requires someplace for those electrons to go: the circuit must be complete to allow electron flow. Pressure may be present but that does not imply flow.

The way to ruin a battery, and the reason a battery eventually gets tired: not all the sulfate turns back to lead and acid during recharge. If you leave your master switch on so that the battery slowly and completely discharges through the master solenoids's coil, the sulfate formed is thick, hard and resistant to reconversion. The battery might recharge but its capacity will be reduced. In some cases the sulfate can flake off and fall to the bottom of the cell and short the plates together so that the charging current passes through it instead of recharging the battery. No hope for that one. Those little battery minders produce a square wave that breaks up the sulfate a bit at a time and does help to rejuvenate the battery as long as it isn't shorted. Years ago there was a battery (automotive) "rebuilding" place in my hometown; they would take old batteries and put them in an armored cell and feed them massive voltages and force the sulfate back into solution. The armored cell was to contain the occasionally exploding battery. Yuck.

Dan

This post was made using recycled electrons.

hahaha:rofl:. no it comes from the chemical reaction of the electrolyte and the electrodes. The battery doen't really increase pressure, if it did, you'd get an increasing voltage from it.

:confused: Isn't that exactly what happens when you charge it?:dunno:

The movement of electrons is based solely on the production of surplus electrons when sulfuric acid breaks down into water and the sulfur bonds with the lead. The chemistry link I posted shows that quite nicely. I am no chemist but those equations seem simple enough to me. As I understand it, a chemical bond depends on the sharing of electrons when atoms combine to form molecules, and certain combinations result in surplus electrons. Other combinations require extra electrons from somewhere, reflected in the recharging equation here.
When more pressure is required, we need stronger acid and the presence of purer lead and lead sulfate. Not that no reaction happens unless there is electron exchange, which requires someplace for those electrons to go: the circuit must be complete to allow electron flow. Pressure may be present but that does not imply flow.

The way to ruin a battery, and the reason a battery eventually gets tired: not all the sulfate turns back to lead and acid during recharge. If you leave your master switch on so that the battery slowly and completely discharges through the master solenoids's coil, the sulfate formed is thick, hard and resistant to reconversion. The battery might recharge but its capacity will be reduced. In some cases the sulfate can flake off and fall to the bottom of the cell and short the plates together so that the charging current passes through it instead of recharging the battery. No hope for that one. Those little battery minders produce a square wave that breaks up the sulfate a bit at a time and does help to rejuvenate the battery as long as it isn't shorted. Years ago there was a battery (automotive) "rebuilding" place in my hometown; they would take old batteries and put them in an armored cell and feed them massive voltages and force the sulfate back into solution. The armored cell was to contain the occasionally exploding battery. Yuck.

Dan

This post was made using recycled electrons.
:yeahthat:

Sounds good to me:yesnod:

:confused: Isn't that exactly what happens when you charge it?:dunno:

Exactly. When we have more molecules ready to react, we have more pressure and therefore more amperage available.

Dan

It explains the mechanism of a battery beautifully, yet it doesn't explain the nature of electricity at all.

I don't think anyone really understands the electron or atom or anything else involving quantum mechanics. The closer the researchers look, the weirder things get. I have a book here from the late '80s called "In Search of Shroedinger's Cat," a basic explanation of quantum mechanics, and there is some really fascinating stuff in it. For example, there is evidence that the basic atomic particles (electrons, protons, neutrons) and the smaller particles that they're made of (Up, Down, Spin, Quark, and all the rest) are merely forms of energy and are not matter at all. Everything we see and own and feel and ride in is nothing more than energy stored in very complex and fantastic forms. I am no physicist, either, but I do find this area really interesting and wonder how man might eventually use it to create antigravity flying machines, for example. There's the old Grand Unified Theory (Unified Field Theory now?) that says that the strong and weak nuclear forces, gravity and electromagnetism are various manifestations of the same force; I wish they'd figure it out so we could get going on new machinery.

Magnetism. What is it? What really is that force we feel between two magnets? Isn't that fascinating?

Dan

I don't think anyone really understands the electron or atom or anything else involving quantum mechanics. The closer the researchers look, the weirder things get. I have a book here from the late '80s called "In Search of Shroedinger's Cat," a basic explanation of quantum mechanics, and there is some really fascinating stuff in it. For example, there is evidence that the basic atomic particles (electrons, protons, neutrons) and the smaller particles that they're made of (Up, Down, Spin, Quark, and all the rest) are merely forms of energy and are not matter at all. Everything we see and own and feel and ride in is nothing more than energy stored in very complex and fantastic forms. I am no physicist, either, but I do find this area really interesting and wonder how man might eventually use it to create antigravity flying machines, for example. There's the old Grand Unified Theory (Unified Field Theory now?) that says that the strong and weak nuclear forces, gravity and electromagnetism are various manifestations of the same force; I wish they'd figure it out so we could get going on new machinery.

Magnetism. What is it? What really is that force we feel between two magnets? Isn't that fascinating?

Dan

Exactly! That's what I was talking about, not the principles of supplying the pressure, that's pretty clear. The question I was addressing was the nature of the transference of the energy/force and my point was that as with magnetism not requiring a particle exchange to provide transference of force by using repulsion; I was speculating that the energy introduced to the conductor could be passed along through the same force of like charge repulsion.

Last edited:
“My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.”
Stephen Hawking

"If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of reason – for then we should know the mind of God."

I know the good professor doesn't believe in God but I like his quotes:).

Exactly! That's what I was talking about, not the principles of supplying the pressure, that's pretty clear. The question I was addressing was the nature of the transference of the energy/force and my point was that as with magnetism not requiring a particle exchange to provide transference of force by using repulsion; I was speculating that the energy introduced to the conductor could be passed along through the same force of like charge repulsion.
I believe the best description we have now is quantum electrodynamics. Maxwell's equations are a subset of this model.

Dr.David Ball published a series on this subject and tried to keep it simple- the collection is here: http://www.spectroscopyonline.com/spectroscopy/author/authorInfo.jsp?id=227

The history is here: Here's the first in the series: http://www.spectroscopyonline.com/s...History/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/719073

You'd do better reading this or a similar treatise since there is quite a bit of background that is useful and there is no need to repeat it here when Dr. Ball has written it up so well.

Wouldn't it be cool if we actually see atoms? Come on God, just let me see an atom, please:lol:

Depends on your definition of "see" but here you go:
afm1.jpg

Atomi force microscopy of pentacene- the corners of the hexagons are carbon, the little sticks are hydrogen atoms.

Ref: http://physicsworld.com/cws/article...les-revealed-in-all-their-glory-by-microscope

I think you're seriously confusing force with energy and work. You can push all day on something that doesn't move and not add a little bit of energy to it, nor will you be performing any "work" even though you end up feeling like you did.

Also FWIW, AFaIK you cannot have an electrical current unless there is a movement of what we call electrons. With an AC current said electrons won't necessarily move very far but with DC current the free electrons involve have to make the round trip eventually unless some are being created and destroyed in the process.

The reality is that electrons in a wire do indeed move with the current flow but they do so very slowly compared to the effect of this flow because the electrons in a wire spend most of their time bouncing into each other and the positive ions they leave behind. For example a 1A DC current in a 12ga wire results in an average drift velocity of about 25nm/second or from a different perspective the average time for one electron to move one meter in that wire would be 40,000 seconds or about 11 hours!

Last edited:
Oh holy one, I must bow to you for this blessing. You DO answer prayers:rofl:

Seriously, I meant with the naked eye:yikes:

but yes, this is cool
Well- the atom is smaller than the wavelength of what we term visible light. You're gonna need a different set of eyes and I'm not sure how they'd detect high energy gamma rays (I don't recall their wavelengths, so I'm not sure if even those would work).

I have seen light emitted from individual molecules detected in a light microscope. It was still at the diffraction limit so all we saw was a spot.

I think you're seriously confusing force with energy and work. You can push all day on something that doesn't move and not add a little bit of energy to it, nor will you be performing any "work" even though you end up feeling like you did.

Also FWIW, AFaIK you cannot have an electrical current unless there is a movement of what we call electrons. With an AC current said electrons won't necessarily move very far but with DC current the free electrons involve have to make the round trip eventually unless some are being created and destroyed in the process.

The reality is that electrons in a wire do indeed move with the current flow but they do so very slowly compared to the effect of this flow because the electrons in a wire spend most of their time bouncing into each other and the positive ions they leave behind. For example a 1A DC current in a 12ga wire results in an average drift velocity of about 25nm/second or from a different perspective the average time for one electron to move one meter in that wire would be 40,000 seconds or about 11 hours!

Very interesting explanation. Correct me if I'm wrong but in theory (there's that word again:)) matter can neither be created nor destroyed. So that applies to electrons also, right? If that's true, then you can only transfer them from one atom to another.

Very interesting explanation. Correct me if I'm wrong but in theory (there's that word again:)) matter can neither be created nor destroyed. So that applies to electrons also, right? If that's true, then you can only transfer them from one atom to another.
Generally true. There's extreme exceptions (like particle accelerators where they removed all the electrons from the ions) but even in those cases, the "books get balanced". In vacuum tubes, the electrons cross, well...a vacuum, and meet with atoms on the other side of the vacuum. In the case of metals, the electrons are very loosely bound so they are drifting between atoms anyway. We still don't really understand superconductivity very well. There's a couple of models for superconductivity.

Last edited:
Perhaps matter cannot be "created or destroyed" but I think it's been proven quite conclusively that matter can be converted to energy. In any case my intent was to convince that electrons are indeed making it all the way around the circuit (vs being created and destroyed).

Perhaps matter cannot be "created or destroyed" but I think it's been proven quite conclusively that matter can be converted to energy. In any case my intent was to convince that electrons are indeed making it all the way around the circuit (vs being created and destroyed).

Yes I agree.

In that whole discussion of mass of a battery, no one brought up battery out-gassing of hydrogen via electrolysis when charged at too high a voltage?

It's not much mass, but it's a fact of life with lead-acid batteries charged at too high a voltage.

Virtually zero aircraft applications alter charging voltage by temperature which is what's needed to avoid that particular problem. When it's super cold out, charge voltage should technically be decreased slightly until/if the battery warms up.

Many aircraft systems set up to charge flooded batteries aren't adjusted downward about .5 of a volt when a VRLA "sealed" battery is swapped into the system either. Luckily they tend to hold on to the gas produced long enough to allow it to recombine.

Big telco and data center UPS battery plants often have temperature sensors which assist in getting voltages exactly right. Expensive. They also have to deal with "equalization" of multiple cells in the plant which is purposefully done at a high voltage but only for short periods of time.

Back