Help w Lesson plan

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
This is an instrument student that the cfii sends out to me for a diversion from normal training,....so he can just practice. The student likes me to be a little more than just safety pilot - he goes for me making a plan.
The cfii says pick a couple vor approaches at random. What he means is use the local vor to fly approaches depicted for other airports. I'll add a couple thousand feet for safety.
The vor is all we have to work with unfortunately. No DME/ADF, nada.

I was thinking, find one with an extreme dog leg. I could make one up with "radar" fixes as stepdowns. Maybe one with a hefty descent rate to mda.
Hes never done a vor-on-the field approach.
Got any good ones?

Last edited:
I used to be based at Ona Airpark in West Virginia and the approach was a dive for the field. This VOR approach - the final descent is 1600 feet in 4 miles - was designed to avoid a hill east of the field. The fix to descend (Gomez) is published as a cross radial with another VOR, but locals knew GOMEZ was directly over a local AM radio tower, so we all used the ADF swing as confirmation before descending - the cross VOR was so far away that a degree or two VOR deviation was less exact than the am tower.

http://www.aopa.org/members/airports/ustprocs.cfm?id=12V

Dave, the VOR-32 at Stinson is a dog-leg, no DME so you have to time it.

Look at the back-course ILS approach up at ROW, "The Widowmaker" if he's got GPS or DME to do the arc.

KMFR has some difficult approaches with steep descents, but even more challenging are the departure procedures out of here. Take a look at the complexity of some of these DP's.

It's almost comical to watch the airliners come into Medford. They come over the mountains and then have to do S-turns and/or 360's to descend enough to land. I just imagine the passengers' reactions. And what about the FO's first time into this airport? He must be wondering, how the heck are we gonna get down there?

KMFR is located in the bottom of a narrow valley surrounded by tall mountains on all sides. Many departures must climb in a holding pattern before proceeding on course.

Back