Help Saving E-Mails

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I am starting to send a lot of emails to client's, and others for work. I need to know the best way of saving them. I usually open up a file in the Computer as follows. If Mrs. Gold is buying a house I will open a file under the REALESTATE heading call GOLD, SUSAN. I will then save copies of all my letters and documents ( word format) in the file. From time to time I may have subfiles such as Deed or Agreements etc under GOLD, SUSAN, that really doesn't matter for my question though.
It is fairly simple to save the word documents, but I'm not sure what to do when I save emails. Currently I may send an e-mail to the mortgage company or Title company. ( I use outlook to send and receive my email at work) After I send it I go to sent mail open the email click on file the click on "Save As" I have a choice of saving it as 1) HTML (*.htm; html) [I have been saving them under html] 2)Text only (*.txt) 3) Outlook Template (*.oft) or 4) Message Format (*.msg) What do these mean?
I can still save it in the Susan Gold file but it wont appear with the Word documents. Its kind of hidden unless I look for it. Can someone tell me the best way to save the emails ie which one of the above formats. Can I make it appear with the other hard copy word letters I have saved?

Thanks for the advice.

HTML is a good format. TXT is a smaller format but saves no formatting. OFT and MSG formats can only be reopened by Outlook. HTML and TXT can be opened in Word.

When in Word, when you click on the Open File button, change the "Files of Type" option to "All Files" and you'll see everything. (See attached image)

Adam, you should get Time Matters ( www.timematters.com ), which tracks files, contacts, email, documents, calendar, all related to each other. Steep learning curve, but all elements associated with client and matter. I could not live w/o it, now. Also, can do billing (I am still using TimeSlips, though).

SCCutler said:
Adam, you should get Time Matters ( www.timematters.com ), which tracks files, contacts, email, documents, calendar, all related to each other. Steep learning curve, but all elements associated with client and matter. I could not live w/o it, now. Also, can do billing (I am still using TimeSlips, though).
Spike, you just gotta be a lawyer.......
We used to use Outlook to record all our project billable time. We just couldn't imagine a more cumbersome package.... Till we got Time Matters.:mad: Some of the programming mistakes are just so fundamental it hurts to think we paid so much monet for it. Granted, we are not a law firm, we are an engineering consulting with heavy emphasis on litigation support for Railroad defense. We won't upgrede it because we're scared of the bugs we might introduce to what we now know. Steep learning curve is right on!

Back