Help - Popped Nose Wheel at KHAI

USAF-LT-G

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
USAF-LT-G
Well so far this has got to be the only airport I've ever landed at that has zero emergency number. I tried the airport managers cell and no luck. First time ever I've popped a tire.

Basically came in for my second fuel up on way home from Boston to Chicago just before the lake. Landed, and during my slow down, pop goes the nose wheel. I BARELY got it off the active and onto the taxiway. But I'm stranded at the moment.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump

Call 311, see if the local police have an emergency contact number for the airport manager.
If no 311, then walk in to the FBO area and see if there is a different number posted on the door.

Maybe someone at nearby KAZO can offer suggestions if you call them up.

Thanks guys, got a hold of a dispatch And airport manager who said (I've never had someone blow a tire before...) but he's on his way. I just hate to abandon the plane in the middle of the field and have someone not see it. Hopefully he gets here soon I'm freezing my tucus off!!!

Thanks guys, got a hold of a dispatch And airport manager who said (I've never had someone blow a tire before...) but he's on his way. I just hate to abandon the plane in the middle of the field and have someone not see it. Hopefully he gets here soon I'm freezing my tucus off!!!

Bad deal. You flying a Cirrus by any chance?

Bad deal. You flying a Cirrus by any chance?

Negative. An Archer. Airport Mgr is here and I think he got a hold of the maintenance guy. All is at least safe. So weird to have a tire pop.

did you buy the maypops brand tire by any chance?

Good lesson to all to always wear or carry clothing appropriate for the season. No reason to freeze while waiting for help.

Good lesson to all to always wear or carry clothing appropriate for the season. No reason to freeze while waiting for help.

I had a blanket it back if needed. But I found the code posted for the admin bldg and waited there.

Many wintertime accidents--and some in not-so-cold weather--kill the occupants by hypothermia alone, not injuries. In Canada we are legally required to carry survival equipment appropriate for the season. It's crazy, the way some folks will take off and assume everything will go well. Used to tell my students that if they had to walk one mile across farm fields at -20°C, in a 20-knot wind, in the light jacket and sneakers they brought along, they'd be dead long before they got there.

Had that happen to me, along with the left brake failing...twice in the same plane.

Glad you got it sorted out.

I've been wondering about that myself. My home airport has no reliable contact information after hours and no real support at any time, and if my plane were to become stranded on the runway (collapsed nose gear, for example) I've wondered what steps I should take. I'd first call FSS and NOTAM the runway closed of course, but if it is at night, how do you keep someone from landing and possibly colliding with the wreck already on the runway? Would 911 be the first call to make, with assistance from the local police in the form of a light-all or cruiser parked on the runway with the lights flashing? And, if they insist on a local wrecker or backhoe operator "moving" the plane off the runway, can I say "No"?

I've been wondering about that myself. My home airport has no reliable contact information after hours and no real support at any time, and if my plane were to become stranded on the runway (collapsed nose gear, for example) I've wondered what steps I should take. I'd first call FSS and NOTAM the runway closed of course, but if it is at night, how do you keep someone from landing and possibly colliding with the wreck already on the runway? Would 911 be the first call to make, with assistance from the local police in the form of a light-all or cruiser parked on the runway with the lights flashing? And, if they insist on a local wrecker or backhoe operator "moving" the plane off the runway, can I say "No"?

I'd break out the black and white paint making my plane look like the TDZ with my roof looking like and aligned with centerline ... no one ever hits that anyway:p

In my area (uncontrolled), I'd actually notify the Class C field near me and ATC, using the handheld to notify any that combo missed while trying to get on field response.

This is great, there should be an app called ask POA.

newbie pilot: "Siri, ask POA how the hell I get this 172 backed into this tie down space."
siri: "POA says use the dang tow bar in the baggage compartment you nitwit!"

I did get stuck on an uncontrolled runway once. I sat next to the radio and warned other traffic of the situation. Only one plane showed up and he went to the next one 20 miles away. I got his cell number and called when the runway was cleared.

The right main was stuck in the mud. I had to wait for someone with a capable 4WD to pull it out.

Not a terrible idea to call FSS, but they won't let you issue the NOTAM unless you are the airport manager or authorized delegate. Each airport has a list on file with the FSS of people approved to issue NOTAMs for the facility. Best bet is get in contact with local law enforcement. They or the FSS will usually will have a way to contact airport management.

BTW removal of a disabled aircraft is the aircraft owner/operator's responsibility, so don't let them talk you into something you are not sure about.

Sorry guys. Had a TERRIBLE cold. Should have updated. Yes, made it home A.O.K. Basically, was told this is a "fairly" common problem in the cold winter, whereby the innertube gets a slash on the inside, and you don't really know about it, and depending on it's orientation / position to the ground when you fill it.... it being pushed up against the tire, may completely hold the pressure just fine.... or..... it may just decide to give out. Turns out the innertube in fact did have about a 1 inch slash.

So the tire and innertube were replaced the next morning at 6:30am, in about an hour, and all was good. My AME, confirmed this was in fact a fairly common issue, and no rhyme or reason for it happening.... just happens occassionally. All is well, other than the fact that I have a bad cold.

Sorry guys. Had a TERRIBLE cold. Should have updated. Yes, made it home A.O.K. Basically, was told this is a "fairly" common problem in the cold winter, whereby the innertube gets a slash on the inside, and you don't really know about it, and depending on it's orientation / position to the ground when you fill it.... it being pushed up against the tire, may completely hold the pressure just fine.... or..... it may just decide to give out. Turns out the innertube in fact did have about a 1 inch slash.

So the tire and innertube were replaced the next morning at 6:30am, in about an hour, and all was good. My AME, confirmed this was in fact a fairly common issue, and no rhyme or reason for it happening.... just happens occassionally. All is well, other than the fact that I have a bad cold.
Glad to hear! Thanks for the update, get well!

Lost a tire at an uncontrolled field,doing night landings,got it off the runway into the grass area,next day got the local mechanic to fix the tire ,no big deal. Gets lonely at night at uncontrolled fields.

This is great, there should be an app called ask POA.

newbie pilot: "Siri, ask POA how the hell I get this 172 backed into this tie down space."
siri: "POA says use the dang tow bar in the baggage compartment you nitwit!"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Always carry a extra tube and some basic tools, I'd say this is one of those repairs a PPL should be able to do.

Tires, brakes and plugs, with tires being a #1 by a large margin.

Even if you don't carry tools, often you can always find a auto parts place and get some loaners that'll due, but if you get a flat somewhere and no one has a tube, you ain't going have a good time

One morning I got to work (back in Oklahoma) and saw a 421 on the taxiway. Took the truck for a runway inspection and lo and behold, front tire was flat and he just left it there. Pretty crazy stuff. Almost got another 182 stuck after he blew a tire later in the year - he had wheel pants and I got the local maintenance guys to help with a forklift and some manpower to get it off the runway before bad things happened. Then I realized that you could push down the tail and at least move it to the taxiway. Something for next time!

Glad to hear that all went well. It brought some thoughts to mind.

After being absent from here for a while and coming back, it's great to see how the community still cooperates in helping each other. Sure the bickering goes on, and it's quite entertaining. But somebody in an actual situation, get the person assisted, and afterwards when all is clear, continue said bickering. It seriously reminds me of the fire department. A big dysfunctional family, but when someone calls for help (internally or externally), forget all that other crap.

KHAI is less than 100 miles from me. Had I seen this post Thursday night, or had the OP noticed that I wasn't that far away and happened to ask, I would have driven over to assist if needed.

Glad that you were able to get it fixed and get out of there.

The only flat tire I've had so far was fortunately at home base, with my A&P on the field to help tow the plane off the taxiway. It was also a nose tire, for which I was thankful as directional control was not an issue, just getting onto the taxiway so as not to close the runway. The A&P's verdict, IIRC, was a defect in the tube.

Back