Help Please - FAA Checkride - Student Took IFR Written in Married Name...

ruthsindelar

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ruth
But her private pilot certificate is in her maiden name.....ugh!!

I was filling out the IARCA form and it would not let me finalize the app as her written test is In her married name and she never changed her private pilot certificate to her married name.....Checkride is scheduled for 1:30pm on Wednesday. Visiting FSDO in AM to try to fix.

Any ideas on how to solve this so she can still take her IFR check ride tomorrow?!

Thanks

Last edited:
Ouch.

I hate to suggest this, but I think the easiest solution is to have her take the written again tomorrow morning (using the same name as her certificate).

Joe

But her private pilot certificate is in her maiden name.....ugh!!

I was filling out the IARCA form and it would not let me finalize the app as her written test is In her married name and she never changed her private pilot certificate to her married name.....Checkride is scheduled for 1:30pm on Wednesday. Visiting FSDO in AM to try to fix.

Any ideas on how to solve this so she can still take her IFR check ride tomorrow?!

Thanks

Unless you can get her into the fdso for a temp certificate, I believe you(she ) is out of luck.
according to the FAA web site:
Name Change
To obtain a new airman certificate that reflects a legal name change, you must appear at an FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) for positive identification You must present to an FAA Inspector either a:

* photocopy of a marriage license
* court order
* other valid legal document verifying the name change
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/name_change/

Wouldn't taking the marriage certificate to show the FSDO the two names sufficient proof?

Wouldn't taking the marriage certificate to show the FSDO the two names sufficient proof?
yes but the question is will they change it fast enough in the computer system so IACRA will tie the written test to it before the checkride.

A career bureaucrat explained it to me, "we are the government, we are not ALLOWED to be efficient."
Cutting corners to 'help' a citizen is the surest way to get demoted or fired from government jobs... Maybe the FSDO can expedite change but I have strong reservations about it being finalized at OK City in less than a few weeks... A document has to go sit on a desk until it is mature enough for the clerk to pick it up and do something...

denny-o

One option may be to do the paperwork the old fashioned way (on paper) and submit the whole package through the FSDO rather than through IACRA, but going to the FSDO this morning and begging for mercy is probably the best path to a solution.

A career bureaucrat explained it to me, "we are the government, we are not ALLOWED to be efficient."
Cutting corners to 'help' a citizen is the surest way to get demoted or fired from government jobs... Maybe the FSDO can expedite change but I have strong reservations about it being finalized at OK City in less than a few weeks... A document has to go sit on a desk until it is mature enough for the clerk to pick it up and do something...

denny-o

Funny thing is I know lots of dentist that routinely "cut corners" in order to maximize profits.

Funny thing is I know lots of dentist that routinely "cut corners" in order to maximize profits.

I have always said there are a lot of similarities between dental practices and veterinary practices. This is just one more. I can't stand knowing the corners some veterinarians cut and people LOVE those corner cutters because they don't charge as much as we do. (Sorry about drifting off topic, but I don't know what else to add).

One option may be to do the paperwork the old fashioned way (on paper) and submit the whole package through the FSDO rather than through IACRA, but going to the FSDO this morning and begging for mercy is probably the best path to a solution.

Long live the 8710 I will reserve my strong and sensational comments about IACRA....that is asinine you have to even discuss hanging up a check ride over such BS

Last edited:
Hey, this is a bureacracy. Try getting a class 2 monovision waiver ride in less than 6 weeks. I think I bent every rivet at OKC and at the FSDO.

Interesting topic. We have to report change of addresses within 30 days, but there doesn't appear to be any time limit on name changes?

You guys are so great.....thanks for your advice/help on this topic & the others I have posted recently. Here is the update.

Went to FSDO. The safety officer assigned to "this case" shared that he was disappointed that a seasoned instructor like myself could allow this to happen. I swallowed my pride and apologized and assured him that it would never happen again. He shared that "normally they do not issue new temporary certificates for something like this" which told me they could if they wanted to. He agreed to call Oklahoma City and see if they would ok it. That could have been the kiss of death so I asked if the local supervisor could approve it. He agreed to check and.....10 minutes later he came back and agreed to help.

We changed the private pilot license to the married name (which matched the written test) and filled out the 8710 the old fashioned way. Much easier than the IARCA. Luckily the examiner was familiar with the old forms. And then she took the check ride and she ........

!!!! P A S S E D !!!!

Examiner shared that she was one of the best students he has seen in a long time. I'm very proud of her!

You guys are so great.....thanks for your advice/help on this topic & the others I have posted recently. Here is the update.

Went to FSDO. The safety officer assigned to "this case" shared that he was disappointed that a seasoned instructor like myself could allow this to happen. I swallowed my pride and apologized and assured him that it would never happen again. He shared that "normally they do not issue new temporary certificates for something like this" which told me they could if they wanted to. He agreed to call Oklahoma City and see if they would ok it. That could have been the kiss of death so I asked if the local supervisor could approve it. He agreed to check and.....10 minutes later he came back and agreed to help.

We changed the private pilot license to the married name (which matched the written test) and filled out the 8710 the old fashioned way. Much easier than the IARCA. Luckily the examiner was familiar with the old forms. And then she took the check ride and she ........

!!!! P A S S E D !!!!

Examiner shared that she was one of the best students he has seen in a long time. I'm very proud of her!
Congratulations to both of you! :yes:

Crow, eaten judiciously, serves well.

Lucky for the student that she has an instructor who goes to the effort to fix this.

good to know that got resolved.

i dont understand why the FSDO person thought it was your fault that the student got married and didnt submit a change of name to the FAA?

i dont understand why the FSDO person thought it was your fault that the student got married and didnt submit a change of name to the FAA?
I don't think they did. I think they thought it was her fault she didn't check the applicant's paperwork until the day before the ride. That's the first thing I do when starting a 10-day IR course -- check proof of citizenship (not for the checkride, but for me to give training), pilot certificate, medical, written test report, and photo ID. Then I check the aircraft paperwork, including the ARROW documents and the AV1ATE inspections in the logs. That way, if there's a problem, we have nine days to get it fixed, because if we wait until Day 9 to check that stuff, and something's wrong, Day 10 probably won't include a checkride, and then everybody's unhappy, including the trainee, the examiner, me, and my bosses at PIC.

I don't think they did. I think they thought it was her fault she didn't check the applicant's paperwork until the day before the ride.

That was it exactly, Ron. The safety officer was pretty direct with his criticism of me. I have to say that I did not appreciate being scolded by the FAA in front of my student. That said, he had a valid point. From now on, I will do like you wisely do Ron.....check all the paperwork at the beginning of the training.

In my defense, my student has been married 5 years. Her written is in her married name. I wrongly assumed her private pilot license had been updated to her married name in the 5 years since her marriage. I think this is why the FSDO officer eventually helped us out. It was an oversight that even a conscientious instructor could make. I have learned my lesson and am grateful that the FSDO officer chose to help us out.

My student is still on cloud nine. Very rewarding to see....

I would have been annoyed by that, too -- commend in public, correct in private. Even if the ASI had a valid point.

Also, it's just a paperwork error that did not necessitate a scolding from anyone. Dealing with the government is a sea of paperwork and if everyone got it right the first time, every time, 80% of the nitwits would be without a job.

I had a name problem come up too - but it was over an apostrophe. There is one on my certificate but not on my drivers license so not on the written for my commercial. O'Cuilinn vs. OCuilinn Lovely. Same IACRA problem - DPE sent in the paperwork the old fashioned way and it was no problem.
Congratulations Ruth for you and your student. The fact that the examiner shared that she was one of the best applicants he's seen in a while should help a little w/ the sting from the ASI attitude.

!!!! P A S S E D !!!!

Be grateful, he could have just as easy stone walled you, as they do so many times in the maintenance side.

Boy it would have taken every ounce of restraint for me not to have said "Bite me" to that over-officious jerk.

Minor, MINOR issue. Absolutely nothing to do with safety of flight, which I believe is FAAs primary responsibility.

Minor, MINOR issue. Absolutely nothing to do with safety of flight, which I believe is FAAs primary responsibility.
Primary, yes, but making sure trainees don't suffer from the errors of their instructors is also one of their responsibilities. Had this error been discovered the evening before an AM ride, or after the FSDO closed on Friday for a weekend ride, it would have been the trainee, not the instructor, who suffered the consequences. Therefore, I think it entirely appropriate for the Inspector both to have expressed "disappointment" with the instructor over the issue and to have seen to it that the trainee got the necessary paperwork to take the ride on schedule. OTOH, had the instructor shown a "bite me" sort of attitude, I would not have blamed the inspector for doing more than merely expressing "disappointment."

Last edited:
Back