Help on being a pilot in the USAF

iwannafly27

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
iwannafly
I am a junior in high school and I have already decided that I want to fly in the Air Force. Here is my plan so far, I want to join the Air Force ROTC and try to get a scholarship for college. I also plan on majoring in aerospace engineering. Here is the list of colleges I have visited and might go to:

Virginia Tech
University of Central Florida
NC State
Embry Riddle Aeronautical University-Daytona Beach
University of South Carolina

I have a few questions: are any of these AFROTC programs considered better than the other? Which would be the best to go to for a pilot slot? should I be looking at any other colleges? What are some good clubs in colleges to join for flying? is it true that air force pilots can get laser eye surgery? because my vision is 20/100 and I was told that it might be possible, and would it be smart to go ahead and try to get my private pilots license? thank you for your time.

I was in the same boat about 16 years ago. I went on an ROTC scholarship to ERAU in Daytona Beach, then on to pilot training. I've been flying in the USAF for almost 12 years now. Lots of good info at http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/

The best bet is to get good grades in school. Degree doesn't matter for pilot training (it matters a lot if you don't get into UPT or if you want to have something to fall back on) - common misperception that you have to have an engineering or technical degree to become a pilot. Scholarships are easier to get for those degrees but they are not required to get a pilot slot. PM me if you want more info.

Also keep in mind the future of military "aviation". I do not think we are done with fighter pilots yet, but the slots are getting smaller and smaller. You can go through a lot of training and end up flying an supped-up R/C.

I am a junior in high school and I have already decided that I want to fly in the Air Force. Here is my plan so far, I want to join the Air Force ROTC and try to get a scholarship for college. I also plan on majoring in aerospace engineering. Here is the list of colleges I have visited and might go to:

Virginia Tech
University of Central Florida
NC State
Embry Riddle Aeronautical University-Daytona Beach
University of South Carolina

I have a few questions: are any of these AFROTC programs considered better than the other?
No. AFROTC programs are all run by the USAF to the USAF's own standards. You seen one, you seen 'em all. There may be differences in the academic standards between the various schools, but the ones you named are all pretty much at the same level of academic excellence, with the possible exception of UCF, which might be half a notch below the other four, but still a perfectly good school for an undergraduate education.

Which would be the best to go to for a pilot slot?
All the same in that regard. What you major in and how well you do both academically in your studies and militarily in your ROTC training will be more important than anything else.

should I be looking at any other colleges?
Other schools may be better in some academic areas. In what are you planning to major?

is it true that air force pilots can get laser eye surgery?
Last I knew, the USAF was not allowing it, but the Navy was. That may have changed since I last checked, and could change again before you graduate in 5-6 years. Check with the AFROTC unit at one of the schools you are considering for the "latest and greatest" on that subject.

because my vision is 20/100 and I was told that it might be possible,
Possible, yes, but not real likely, and there are definite risks with eye surgery.

and would it be smart to go ahead and try to get my private pilots license?
That won't make a lot of difference, and actually could hurt you if you learn in a school where they don't teach military-style procedures-oriented flying. If you're selected for a pilot slot in AFROTC, they're going to give you 25 hours or so of pilot training while still in college to test your aptitude anyway.

Good luck.

Degree doesn't matter for pilot training (it matters a lot if you don't get into UPT or if you want to have something to fall back on) - common misperception that you have to have an engineering or technical degree to become a pilot.
Technically, that's true -- I flew in the USAF with a pilot who majored in playing the trombone. He retired as a LtCol after 22 years and is now flying for Delta (and still plays the trombone with his church choir on Sundays). However, as he would tell you himself, the engineering/technical fields will better prepare you for the technical challenges in UPT, and my subjective perception is that folks with engineering/technical degrees had a lower washout rate and did better (important for getting the aircraft you want) in pilot training.

Also keep in mind the future of military "aviation". I do not think we are done with fighter pilots yet, but the slots are getting smaller and smaller. You can go through a lot of training and end up flying an supped-up R/C.

I know a lot of C-17, F-16, and B1B pilots sitting in Predator/Reaper pilot console stations. B)

My plan is to major in something like aerospace sciences or physics. Do you have a suggestion on what I should major? and if the navy does the surgery I might just look into that too

My plan is to major in something like aerospace sciences or physics. Do you have a suggestion on what I should major? and if the navy does the surgery I might just look into that too
Physics would be OK if you actually end up in a field other than physics, otherwise you need a PhD to be competitive in that field. Consider aerospace engineering or some other type of engineering where you have a chance at a good job with a bachelor's degree if you do not make it as a pilot.

Last edited:
Counter point to you Cap'n Ron - I know a lot of guys who would have been 4.0 students in an easier major that did not get a pilot slot because their GPA wasn't high enough in their technical degree - and they didn't "spend enough time on ROTC" (because they were always studying). The guys who had easier degree's skated with excellent GPA's and lots of free time on your hands - and many left with a pilot slot. I'm not saying that he shouldn't go for a technical degree, I just said that it's not a requirement - which it isn't.

Sure, technical degrees MAY help, but they won't help jack if you don't get into UPT. I think flying aptitude in the military is made up much more from attitude and determination and of course a bit of luck.

Physics would be OK if you actually end up in a field other than physics, otherwise you need a PhD to do be competitive in that field. Consider aerospace engineering or some other type of engineering where you have a chance at a good job with a bachelor's degree if you do not make it as a pilot.

You need a degree that will get you hired in or outside of the military in a non pilot position. I have a BS in Aviation Managment, and while flying in the AF, I completed an MBA. Now retired AF and using my MBA managing AF test programs.

I work as a flight surgeon in the Air Force, and if your main goal is to fly, I suggest you make sure you do not have any underlying and disqualifying conditions. For example, even a history of asthma would make you require a waiver, and likely not acceptable.

If you search on AFI48-123 you can look up the current requirements for flying class I exams. The vision requirements are constantly changing, but I suggest you do not have any vision correcting surgery until you review the latest AFI so you don't end up with a surgical procedure that will disqualify you from flight training.

Good luck.

Back