Help me hire a private jet or charter plane?

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Not joking. Somebody asked me to research this.

Sure, I'll go on Google here but thought you all would know someone.

Funny thing is when I said "you don't need a jet, a multi will do" he said "I don't want to take two days to get there."

Not sure if one way or not but he said typing online he found one for $2,100. I have no idea if that is one way or round trip.

The destination is Boise or a nearby smaller airport. You can PM me for more details, but does anyone know where I can start?

I guess they could depart any Bay Area airport though for some reason he asked for KDVO (small airport in Marin).

Many Thanks,

Kimberly

I'm curious what kind of jet he found for a charter from the Bay Area to Boise for only $2,100.

I heard just yesterday Citations out of here run $2,100 / hour. Perhaps it was the hourly rate that was quoted.

Funny thing is when I said "you don't need a jet, a multi will do" he said "I don't want to take two days to get there."

Not sure if one way or not but he said typing online he found one for $2,100. I have no idea if that is one way or round trip.

The destination is Boise or a nearby smaller airport. You can PM me for more details, but does anyone know where I can start?

I guess they could depart any Bay Area airport though for some reason he asked for KDVO (small airport in Marin).

Many Thanks,

Kimberly

$2100 buys a block of seats on an airliner, might get you there in a Cheyenne.

I heard just yesterday Citations out of here run $2,100 / hour. Perhaps it was the hourly rate that was quoted.
Most companies quote a round trip or how would the airplane get back to its base? You might be able to find a one-way but that depends if someone is selling it.

What model Citation?

$2100 seems a wee bit low for a jet charter. When I was running the numbers for a masters degree project (comparing business travel costs between various modes) a year ago, turbo props were running ~$1500-2000/hr.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What model Citation?

$2100 seems a wee bit low for a jet charter. When I was running the numbers for a masters degree project (comparing business travel costs between various modes) a year ago, turbo props were running ~$1500-2000/hr.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am guessing it is a 510 / Mustang..:dunno:

More money than brains, eh?

United and USAir run several daily nonstops from SFO to BOI.

I was trying to figure out why he would not do this. My guess is the dog issue.

They have one tiny dog (miniature french bulldog) and that is very comfy sitting in a purse / kennel.

The other dog I think hates being crated and is a labradoodle. Tallish but probably less than 20 pounds.

That is my only guess on why they would want a private plane.

Preliminary results:

Called FBO I have been to out of SFO. They gave me two charter company phone numbers. First one is going to email me back with prices. Second one asked "how many people" and when I told them they basically said "we are too big."

I said "how much" and they said the Gulf Stream starts at $15,000 per hour. Then I said "this is Christmas" and he said we're talking closer to $19,000 - $24,000 per hour with crew and everything since we're competing with ownership. Each plane owned one fourth by somebody.

Oh also the following airports are "too small" for the 4-seater jet:

DVO

O69

So we have to use STS. I said "why not SFO instead"? She told me the fee would be $600 more each way. She has to quote both flights as a one way trip since they are 6 days apart. We got an airport he wanted, though, since Boise is a 2-hour drive:

MYL - McCall

Anywho, I won't talk to him until next Monday. I'll find out then where on earth he saw the $2,100 number. My guess is he went and used Google and that was an hourly rate. I doubt he knew they would charge him extra for the dogs or the holidays or the trip to get the plane there in the first place.

They have one tiny dog (miniature french bulldog) and that is very comfy sitting in a purse / kennel.

The other dog I think hates being crated and is a labradoodle. Tallish but probably less than 20 pounds.

Preliminary results:

Called FBO I have been to out of SFO. They gave me two charter company phone numbers. First one is going to email me back with prices. Second one asked "how many people" and when I told them they basically said "we are too big."

I said "how much" and they said the Gulf Stream starts at $15,000 per hour. Then I said "this is Christmas" and he said we're talking closer to $19,000 - $24,000 per hour with crew and everything since we're competing with ownership. Each plane owned one fourth by somebody.
tell him if you find an extra $1.2k in your bank account you were going to make a trip to Boise and could take the Labradoodle with you in the back seat.

tell him if you find an extra $1.2k in your bank account you were going to make a trip to Boise and could take the Labradoodle with you in the back seat.

I know, right? I don't get this, they just drove to Idaho only last month. Took them 13-15 hours with the Parrot, Dog, and two adults.

Why can't they do that again?

Oh and if you meant plane there is NO WAY IN HELL I would ever fly these people. They would go after my family and my everything if anything went wrong or there were delays or whatever. I'm not even going to go there let alone the fact I'm not a commercial pilot and would NEVER risk my license on this.

How can I look up the FAR to be official if they do ask? I want the LAW to show to them. Thank goodness they didn't ask this yet.

I know, right? I don't get this, they just drove to Idaho only last month. Took them 13-15 hours with the Parrot, Dog, and two adults.

Why can't they do that again?

Because it took 13-15 hours in car with a Parrot, Dog and two adults.

One hour ride in private jet: priceless

There are hundreds of such one time jet charters running back and forth around the country every day. It's an important part of GA. Why is it that every time it comes up here so many condem it? "You can drive; the price is ridiculous; you can fly United cheaper; blah; blah;blah"

If someone wants to go somewhere quickly, without hastle, in comfort, with a pet, with privacy and can afford it, he/she should charter/lease/time share/buy a jet.

Good grief, most of the FBOs we little piston guys use wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the part 135 and 91k jets.

I just don't understand the negativity on this subject, esp. On this forum.

DVO

O69

So we have to use STS. I said "why not SFO instead"? She told me the fee would be $600 more each way. She has to quote both flights as a one way trip since they are 6 days apart. We got an airport he wanted, though, since Boise is a 2-hour drive:

MYL - McCall

Anywho, I won't talk to him until next Monday. I'll find out then where on earth he saw the $2,100 number. My guess is he went and used Google and that was an hourly rate. I doubt he knew they would charge him extra for the dogs or the holidays or the trip to get the plane there in the first place.

Six days apart? They are either going to have to pay for two round trips or put the crew up in a hotel for six days....at Christmas time???

Bob Gardner

If they are serious and want to make it a frequent thing, try Net Jets or one of the many other fractional ownerships.

Cheers

There are hundreds of such one time jet charters running back and forth around the country every day. It's an important part of GA. Why is it that every time it comes up here so many condem it? "You can drive; the price is ridiculous; you can fly United cheaper; blah; blah;blah"

If someone wants to go somewhere quickly, without hastle, in comfort, with a pet, with privacy and can afford it, he/she should charter/lease/time share/buy a jet.

Good grief, most of the FBOs we little piston guys use wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the part 135 and 91k jets.

It is because they have no concept of the charter business. I am not rich enough to charter a plane, but I fly for a charter company. We fly celebs, high profile business people, althletes, and families that find the cost benefit to weigh towards charting an aircraft. And trust me, business is good.

The lear is 2600 an hour plus other costs I am sure. We fly out of all kinds of bay area airports. We are based in OAK but will regularly fly to SFO, SJC, LVK to pick people up. Sure it would save them money to drive to OAK instead of us flying to LVK to pick them up, but the last reason anyone charters an airplane is to save money. It is for convenience.

Six days apart? They are either going to have to pay for two round trips or put the crew up in a hotel for six days....at Christmas time???

Bob Gardner

Plus the plane is going to have a daily fee to sit to cover lost revenue. At X-Mas time that fee will be HUGE. No way will that be cost effective. Much cheaper to pay both ways twice.

I get the feeling your friend can't afford what they want to do. It's like the saying goes, 'if you have to ask how much you can't afford it.'

Preliminary results:

You might have called the company I work for. Holiday is no discounts what so ever and we get double the day pay rate for the crew.

If it is just 4 people and a couple of dogs we could do it in the Lear 55 no problem, but we would be going out of STS as I don't see any neighboring airports that would be long enough. Give SP Aviation a call 800-466-3538.

Oh and if you meant plane there is NO WAY IN HELL I would ever fly these people. They would go after my family and my everything if anything went wrong or there were delays or whatever. I'm not even going to go there......

Geez... Sounds like some really (nice) people..:no::nonod:..

If you talk to them feel free to offer this advice...

Don't go to Wyoming, the bears eat people and the wolves eat their dogs...
The last thing we need here is more snivveling, sue happy ,rich wanna bees..:eek::mad:

So realistically I would expect a price in the $5,000-7,000 range for a smallish jet unless you find a one-way. $2,100 is low and $15,000 (or was that $15,000/hour is really high). A Gulfstream is way overkill. They would need to pay it twice for legs that are 6 days apart.

Many Thanks,

Kimberly

First, this is a Part 135 trip, so you have to find an air taxi outfit. Second, since when does it take two days to fly a twin from the Bay area to southern Idaho? Depends on the twin, of course, but most turboprops could do it in less than a day. A King Air could do it easily and would be much cheaper than a jet.

Bob Gardner

Plus the plane is going to have a daily fee to sit to cover lost revenue. At X-Mas time that fee will be HUGE. No way will that be cost effective. Much cheaper to pay both ways twice.

Not the case usually. We can wave a lot of fees by buying fuel, especially if there is an FBO we have contracts with. We get salary no matter what so really you are only paying the crews day rate, plus per diem, plus hotel fees. That will be much lower than flying the plane back home, then back out again.

Not the case usually. We can wave a lot of fees by buying fuel, especially if there is an FBO we have contracts with. We get salary no matter what so really you are only paying the crews day rate, plus per diem, plus hotel fees. That will be much lower than flying the plane back home, then back out again.
Doesn't your company charge a minimum per day on the airplane?

I'm sorry I didn't mean to be negative. Just found a Pilatus for $1550 per hour that flies single pilot and will put a passenger up front if needed for space - (!) Now I want to go just to sit up front LOL.

I just don't understand why - now - he wants a jet. He travels every month (or more) and has never wanted one before. Perhaps he is tired of the airport lines.

I just don't understand why - now - he wants a jet. He travels every month (or more) and has never wanted one before. Perhaps he is tired of the airport lines.
Some people don't like props and will pay more for a jet. I know a number of folks like that.

It is because they have no concept of the charter business. I am not rich enough to charter a plane, but I fly for a charter company. We fly celebs, high profile business people, althletes, and families that find the cost benefit to weigh towards charting an aircraft. And trust me, business is good.

The lear is 2600 an hour plus other costs I am sure. We fly out of all kinds of bay area airports. We are based in OAK but will regularly fly to SFO, SJC, LVK to pick people up. Sure it would save them money to drive to OAK instead of us flying to LVK to pick them up, but the last reason anyone charters an airplane is to save money. It is for convenience.

He wanted to save money. He wanted to get the cheap one. My guess is that since he hasn't bought tickets he thought - key word here is thought - that it would be cheaper to do a private plane than pay for the doggie airlines plus three adults.

I am 99% positive that if these quotes come in around $6,000 and above he will act shocked and book a United ticket.

Some people don't like props and will pay more for a jet. I know a number of folks like that.

Actually the woman on the phone with the Pilatus warned me it was single pilot.

I said "so what, my friend he flies a Pilatus sometimes alone and sometimes with a co-pilot."

She said "some people don't like that there is only one pilot and want to pay extra for a co-pilot."

So yeah, I think this guy might want a jet instead of a turbo prop (especially a single engine). And if he found out it was single pilot he might also want a second pilot.

They said they fly around 25,000 feet.

If they are serious and want to make it a frequent thing, try Net Jets or one of the many other fractional ownerships.

Cheers

Thank you, I will try them next week if needed. Right now I'm waiting on two quotes and then we'll see what he says.

DVO

O69

MYL - McCall

You know, this sounds like an interesting business opportunity. I've tried finding charters once, and the cost was literally all over the board. I think people would pay for an agent to do the footwork for them. And, being a knowledgeable pilot, you would be perfect for that! :thumbsup:

Bob Gardner

Actually, the woman at the first place said they just charge two hours of plane time per day for every day you keep them there. But no, I don't think he expected the plane or crew to stay.

You know, this sounds like an interesting business opportunity. I've tried finding charters once, and the cost was literally all over the board. I think people would pay for an agent to do the footwork for them. And, being a knowledgeable pilot, you would be perfect for that! :thumbsup:
There are lots of people like that. They are called charter brokers.

Doesn't your company charge a minimum per day on the airplane?

Not that I know of. We reserve the right to fly it if we are sitting. So if we are chartered to Arkansas for 6 days, and a trip comes up while we are there, we will fly it and be back by the time the customer wants to go home.

You might have called the company I work for. Holiday is no discounts what so ever and we get double the day pay rate for the crew.

If it is just 4 people and a couple of dogs we could do it in the Lear 55 no problem, but we would be going out of STS as I don't see any neighboring airports that would be long enough. Give SP Aviation a call 800-466-3538.

Nope it started with a "T". I will call your company if needed, sorry I thought I posted above that DVO was out and O69 was out and we ended up choosing STS. Though the Pilatus lady said they could land at DVO but STS would be cheaper. I asked "why" and she said it is based out of where the plane is located. It must be in Santa Rosa or close to there.

Back