Help me fundraise my PPL(A) Course

According to Google, Sofia University is located in the South Bay on the 101 next to Google. If the OP can't swing an internship with Google or Apple that will not only fund his pilot training through ATP but give him money to spare for alcohol, ho's and recreational gambling along the way, then he probably isn't cut out to be a pilot anyway.

Sofia University?

We never called ourselves that. Just SOFIA.

And we don't train people to fly. Just operate a big-*** gyroscopically stabilized telescope with a pesky airplane in the way preventing it from pointing where we want.

We have one professor -- who is really our outreach guy -- who teaches the non-astronomical locals about astronomy.

I doubt we would be interested in a freeloader for anything.

Now those ***holes just up the road who stole our name seem to have hired Professor Harold Hill to teach "transpersonal [cough] psychology" by the Think System. And they don't seem to be doing very well financially. Can't imagine why.

According to Google, Sofia University is located in the South Bay on the 101 next to Google. If the OP can't swing an internship with Google or Apple that will not only fund his pilot training through ATP but give him money to spare for alcohol, ho's and recreational gambling along the way, then he probably isn't cut out to be a pilot anyway.

Sure we're not talking Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria?

As a network guy, it makes me want to build out a MAC addr trace-bot that will comb all the Cisco routers deep inside the ISPs, and where ever a MAC shows up from a weenie, I can go shut down his interface, or better yet, the whole vlan or even the router. That would be worth coding. Now, if only I can get to the MAC tables in the router without giving away my plan. muuuuaaahahhahahhaaa!

Sadly, I'm not a very good coder anymore. :(

As a network guy, it makes me want to build out a MAC addr trace-bot that will comb all the Cisco routers deep inside the ISPs, and where ever a MAC shows up from a weenie, I can go shut down his interface, or better yet, the whole vlan or even the router. That would be worth coding. Now, if only I can get to the MAC tables in the router without giving away my plan. muuuuaaahahhahahhaaa!

Have you been watching NCIS again?

I do believe that finances should not get in the way of the pursuit of a dream. So I am going to donate $10000 US. I will require a cashiers check in the amount of only $20000 US so I can be assured I am dealing with a legitimate individual. Once the funds clear, I will transfer $30000 US. You can contact me through my Embassy in Nigeria.

Do you accept three-party, out of state, post-dated, hand drawn checks on a Somali account written in crayon?

When my $13 million inheritance from the king of Gofukistan shows up, I'll make sure to get right on your request.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! Love it! P.S. I'm still waiting for my inheritance as well....mine was $80 million though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sofia.... that piece of furniture sitting in front of the Tv. I rule there nightly while watching Sanford and Son......

Ester... you ugly
Here I come 'Lizabeth..... this is it.... its the big one....

I need to start a fundraiser to buy a Zulu PFX.. :)

OP hasn't logged back in to thank POA for the generous donations? What's up with that?

This is a photoshopped image I found online. I value it at $15k. It should just about settle your costs. Good luck

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 8.56.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 8.56.47 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 68
Here's a thought... Join the military and learn some common sense...

I joined the military and moved out of my parent's house at the age of 18 and paid for every flight hour... Your turn...

Sofia University?

We never called ourselves that. Just SOFIA.

And we don't train people to fly. Just operate a big-*** gyroscopically stabilized telescope with a pesky airplane in the way preventing it from pointing where we want.

We have one professor -- who is really our outreach guy -- who teaches the non-astronomical locals about astronomy.

I doubt we would be interested in a freeloader for anything.

Now those ***holes just up the road who stole our name seem to have hired Professor Harold Hill to teach "transpersonal [cough] psychology" by the Think System. And they don't seem to be doing very well financially. Can't imagine why.

Sounds interesting.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/SOFIA/index.html#.VQtmpOFd-Fo

http://www.sofia.edu/

Sofia University sounds groovy:

Who We Are

At Sofia University, our curriculum focuses on six core areas of inquiry: the intellectual, emotional, spiritual, physical, social, and creative. Sofia is a leader in transpersonal research and transpersonal education, training clinicians, spiritual guides, wellness caregivers, and consultants who apply transpersonal principles and values in a variety of settings. The Sofia educational model offers students not only a solid intellectual foundation, but an extraordinary opportunity for deep growth and personal experience of the subject matter.

Far out.

As a network guy... :mad2:

The customer interface router? Hell, nowadays thats on the customer prem bundled in their modem. The only MAC the ISP may know about is the one that the modem sends back to get stored for filtering. Anything upstream of those fairly unmanaged devices, and nothing knows nothing about any MAC addresses.

These responses are so strange.

When I posted my kickstarter campaign for My PPL a couple years back, It was funded within a few weeks by the nice folks here at POA.

All these guys, Narchee, Mike, Henning, Aunt Peggy... All very Generous.
I got my PPL and then started another to get me a plane and the results once again were great. I have an ErCoupe, and a TriPacer. Couldn't believe I would end up with two. Thanks Cpt_Kirk for helping there.

And then they pretty well keep my insurance and fuel fund loaded.

Geico paid for my hangar (very nice sir)

Crap, that reminds me, The Tripacer has an Annual coming up. Aggie Mike, I'm lookin at you. "Pockets" we sometimes call him because he is always digging in and giving money to other members.

Really shocked by these responses.

LOL! Nicely played.

Even if slightly disingenuous as he did have some assistance in truth.

Wha????:dunno:
I paid for my PPL. $8924.65

I am fortunate to have access to Dad's planes. But in the event they weren't available, I'd still have my ticket.
I rented before he bought a plane and would have continued to do so but I'm no dummy.
Even after having access to other planes, I still rented for much of the training. I took my checkride in a rented 172

disingenuous...:(

Edit: Crap, Mrs 6PC just read this. Errrg... I told her it only cost me 1000 bucks... ;)

Last edited:
Wha????:dunno:
I paid for my PPL. $8924.65

I am fortunate to have access to Dad's planes. But in the event they weren't available, I'd still have my ticket.
I rented before he bought a plane and would have continued to do so but I'm no dummy.
Even after having access to other planes, I still rented for much of the training. I took my checkride in a rented 172

disingenuous...:(

Edit: Crap, Mrs 6PC just read this. Errrg... I told her it only cost me 1000 bucks... ;)

$9k for a PPL?:confused::dunno: How?

It took me a long time because I made some mistakes.
Primarily, I got signed off to solo and was signed off to go to a handful of airports in the area so I kind of just flew a lot on my own for fun.

I went back to fly with MY CFI so we could get a checkride scheduled and he explained how badly I had shot myself in the foot by flying solo and not practicing enough.
We had to re-cover a lot of things.

It was a huge learning experience. I got my ticket w/ around 130 hours.

I should have not gotten myself sidetracked

This is why you never let you wife know where you are posting on the internet :)

This only works if you're a pretty young girl.

Otherwise, have to get a job like the rest of us.

It's not hard these days. I belong to a club which is the cheapest non-owning flying around Central Florida. Current pricing is: $82/hour tach time dry for the airplane, $50/hour for the instructor. And we use the local FBO full serve fuel (because they handle meeting space and scheduling for "free"). So fuel is ~$6.50/gallon.

Figure 45 hours and 8 gallons/hour. Figure ~10% reduction in hours due to tach time and:
45 *.9 = 40.5
40.5 * $82 = $3321 for the plane
40.5 * 8 = 324 gallons fuel @ $6.50 = $2106 for fuel
30 (dual hours, probably low) @ $50 = $1500 for air instruction
10 (ground hours, not really ground school, but still) @$30 = $300

$3221 + $2106 + $1500 + $300 = $7127 assuming nearly minimum time to PP-SEL. Plus $3-500 exam fee so $7527 total not including books, ground school materials, headset, landing calculator, charts, etc.

And that's about as cheaply as it can be done in my neck of the woods barring some sweetheart deal using somebody else's airplane free.

John

It's not hard these days. I belong to a club which is the cheapest non-owning flying around Central Florida. Current pricing is: $82/hour tach time dry for the airplane, $50/hour for the instructor. And we use the local FBO full serve fuel (because they handle meeting space and scheduling for "free"). So fuel is ~$6.50/gallon.

Figure 45 hours and 8 gallons/hour. Figure ~10% reduction in hours due to tach time and:
45 *.9 = 40.5
40.5 * $82 = $3321 for the plane
40.5 * 8 = 324 gallons fuel @ $6.50 = $2106 for fuel
30 (dual hours, probably low) @ $50 = $1500 for air instruction
10 (ground hours, not really ground school, but still) @$30 = $300

$3221 + $2106 + $1500 + $300 = $7127 assuming nearly minimum time to PP-SEL. Plus $3-500 exam fee so $7527 total not including books, ground school materials, headset, landing calculator, charts, etc.

And that's about as cheaply as it can be done in my neck of the woods barring some sweetheart deal using somebody else's airplane free.

John

That's 100%-200% increase in cost in 30 years. I was just change short of $3500 all in including headset, books, charts, and checkrides.

and buy yourself something nice.

That's 100%-200% increase in cost in 30 years. I was just change short of $3500 all in including headset, books, charts, and checkrides.

Mine cost $12k, but I stretched it over 3.5 years.

Back