Help! Logbook Lost/Stolen; How to Reconstruct it?

Catfish47

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Catfish47
The worst has happened. I've spent two weeks going through everything and everywhere, but I'm pretty sure my flight bag was stolen out of my truck while I was at work the morning before a flight.

I could spend paragraphs going over how deeply I've looked for it, called around, etc, but I think it's time to start thinking about what to do if it really is gone. I need to reconstruct my logbook as best I can.

The only AOPA page I can find on it dates from 2000 and the FAA resource they point to is long taken down. Does anyone have any knowledge or first hand experience with this and how to go about reconstructing it as best as possible?

I have my Private and was working on Instrument. Got Covid a month and was out of it. Once I was up and ready to go again, I found my flight bag was nowhere to be found (and thus my logbook). I feel so stupid that I let this happen. I have a muscle memory to lock my truck when I get out, but I must've forgot. I should have never left it in there, and I should have had multiple copies and backups of every logbook page. Suffice it to say, I'm learning this lesson the hard way, but I'm not giving up. I've come too far.

Any help or pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. So far I've found an old AOPA page (link: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2000/january/02/lost-logbooks )

As well as this page: https://coastprivate.com/lost-pilots-logbook-what-should-you-do/

This gives me some idea of what I need to do, but has anyone out there dealt with this and have any pointers on who to contact and what to do?

I have all of my hours, number of landings, flight locations, etc in my old Private Pilot syllabus, luckily my instructor was smart enough to write everything in there. The place where I do my instrument training has the aircraft logbook to help me document hours there as well. But I want to make sure I dot my i's and cross my t's with this where everything is properly done so as not to cause any problems down the road.

I can't sleep at night, I have a pit in my stomach. I know I messed up.

I don't know, but just brainstormin'

seems to me that between the records you have mentioned + the instructor's own log you've got what you need.....or at least as good as it's going to get

As far I can figure, it's not really so important that you have every single flight logged and every single event. That's really more interesting for your own reminiscing.... It's really more about documenting that you meet the requirements.
You can probably get from your PPL test records the hours you had at that point in time. You want to make sure your records line up with theirs....and that could be your line item 1. Then build from there what you've worked on with your instructor and any cross country or time logged through your rental records.

Doesn't have to be perfect or complete as far as I know....so that might take some pressure off of your shoulders if I'm correct.

Last edited:
Not sure how it works with you but my insurance company needs records from me for the renewal process every year. If yours does you could at least get that information from them.

As a Sport Pilot I keep a photo copy of all my endorsements on my phone (and a copy on the home computer).

I have feared what you are going through ...

and moving forward....you're probably sure to do what I've always done....
I used to burn a photo copy each time I'd fill a page in the book, and add it to my logbook copy stored in my firebox at home.
More recently, I maintain a digital scanned copy
and more for personal interest I transferred everything to a spreadsheet. It was a fun project that lets me look at all sorts of data.... listing the aircraft I've flown, time in each, etc....
a more "modern version" would be something like myflightbook.com...which seems to be pretty great.

FAA Order 8900.1, Vol 5, Chapter 1, Sec 8
I had found this earlier, but when I go to the page for it, it says "The FAA Order 8900.1 Flight Standards Information Management System (FSIMS) document type has already been decommissioned."

It links to drs.faa.gov , but I can't find anything on there about lost logbook reconstruction.

and moving forward....you're probably sure to do what I've always done....
I used to burn a photo copy each time I'd fill a page in the book, and add it to my logbook copy stored in my firebox at home.
More recently, I maintain a digital scanned copy
and more for personal interest I transferred everything to a spreadsheet. It was a fun project that lets me look at all sorts of data.... listing the aircraft I've flown, time in each, etc....
a more "modern version" would be something like myflightbook.com...which seems to be pretty great.
Absolutely. If nothing else, I'm certainly learning a lesson. I will have multiple copies of each page, both physically and digitally. I can't believe I didn't already do that. I've done that with almost all of my other aviation-related documentation. For some reason it just didn't occur to me to do it with my logbook. I feel so stupid.

Stop googling and use the navigation bar in DRS. But in the meantime, here's a direct link:

https://drs.faa.gov/browse/excelExternalWindow/25B3E5500BF6DAF98525734F00766653.0001
Thank you. I did find that browser, but I hadn't found that yet. This is exactly what I needed, I can't thank you enough.

It seems I need to write the FAA and request all flight records for me including my 8710-1, which should at least bring me up to when I got my Private. I wonder how to transfer it to a logbook at that point. I take it I'll need to make copies of it and keep it with my new logbook (and copies of everything stored electronically and paper as well).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but other than that I need to obtain copies of aircraft logbooks and receipts of rentals. The airplane that I did my primary flight training in doesn't exist anymore, but hopefully the flight school I got my Private at still has the logs.

I also need to obtain copies of my medical files. I have some of them, but the actual 3rd Class medical certificate was in my logbook.

Thank you. I did find that browser, but I hadn't found that yet. This is exactly what I needed, I can't thank you enough.

It seems I need to write the FAA and request all flight records for me including my 8710-1, which should at least bring me up to when I got my Private. I wonder how to transfer it to a logbook at that point. I take it I'll need to make copies of it and keep it with my new logbook (and copies of everything stored electronically and paper as well).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but other than that I need to obtain copies of aircraft logbooks and receipts of rentals. The airplane that I did my primary flight training in doesn't exist anymore, but hopefully the flight school I got my Private at still has the logs.

I also need to obtain copies of my medical files. I have some of them, but the actual 3rd Class medical certificate was in my logbook.
There's no specified procedure, you just need to do what you need to do to reconstruct it. Then sign and attest that it's accurate. And now switch to electronic and never worry about this again.

That's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm going to use ForeFlight's logbook as @DesertNomad suggested as well as keep a paper copy, and while I'm at it an electronic scan of that paper copy as well stashed in different places.

I guess the only thing I'm not clear on is, do I just re-write the dates and hours in the new logbook? All of the notes in the side had my instructor's name, CFI number, and expiration date, but sounds like I'll just need to rewrite the days and times and use my syllabus from Private to put the number of landings and other information as best as possible.

Thank you all. I was kind of freaking out a bit, but thankfully there's a procedure to rectify this and make sure it never happens again.

The old AOPA page also states:

The airman should begin with a signed and notarized statement of previous flight time as the basis for starting a new flight time record. Such a statement should be substantiated by all available evidence such as aircraft logbooks, receipts for aircraft rentals, and statements of flight operators. AOPA would also suggest statements from previous flight instructors, copies of medical applications, and Airman Certificate and/or Rating Applications (FAA Form 8710), which can all be obtained through the FAA.

I suppose this notarized statement should be kept with the new logbook as the basis for it. I wonder if I should try to get in touch with an AOPA attorney or resource to help construct exactly how I should word this statement, and what to include in it.

I wonder what AOPA thinks the purpose of notarization is. If you want to be extreme, you could include the language from 28 USC 1746 and declare under penalty of perjury the reconstruction is accurate, but you're basically stressing to that when you submit the time to the FAA for your next certificate. For CFI signatures, your CFI should have those entries in his logbook, so he can redo them. But if you don't need them for another rating, it doesn't matter.

FWIW, I've never had a DPE ask for additionally evidence that my logbook entries were accurate.

For CFI signatures, your CFI should have those entries in his logbook, so he can redo them. But if you don't need them for another rating, it doesn't matter.

FWIW, I've never had a DPE ask for additionally evidence that my logbook entries were accurate.

I'm not even sure if my CFI from my Private training is still doing it, but I imagine he'd still have the logbook. I live about 8 hours away from there now though lol. Do you think I'd need him to sign for every log entry in the new logbook for our previous training flights, dual x/c, etc?

I do want to get my Instrument Rating so I at least need to have everything necessary for that.

See if you can log on IACRA to see your hours from your previous application.

Take photos of your logbook in future when you complete a page.

My DPE related that in an interview for a 121 or 135 job, I can't remember which, one of the panelists hounded him about how they knew that his digital logbook was accurate. The first time, he simply replied that he testified that it was accurate. When she asked again, he pointed out that it would be just as easy to pad a paper logbook as a digital one. After the fourth or fifth time, he decided he didn't want to work for a company where someone like that was in leadership.

I wonder what AOPA thinks the purpose of notarization is.
AOPA probably just v thinks it's a good idea to say what the FAA says. The notarization language also comes from FSIMS.upload_2022-9-30_7-18-8.png

AOPA probably just v thinks it's a good idea to say what the FAA says. The notarization language also comes from FSIMS.View attachment 111086

I think the FAA person who wrote that paragraph about notarization is confused about the purpose of a notary as well. There should be no benefit to having your reconstructed logbook notarized with your signature.

The purpose of a notary is just to prove that the person signing the document is who they say they are. The notary isn't checking the validity or accuracy of what's being signed. Since you're the one presenting your own logbook, of course it's you attesting that it's the truth. Normal logbooks aren't notarized, why would replacement logbooks, or statements of aeronautical experience be? Or am I missing something?

I think the FAA person who wrote that paragraph about notarization is confused about the purpose of a notary as well. There should be no benefit to having your reconstructed logbook notarized with your signature.

The purpose of a notary is just to prove that the person signing the document is who they say they are. The notary isn't checking the validity or accuracy of what's being signed. Since you're the one presenting your own logbook, of course it's you attesting that it's the truth. Normal logbooks aren't notarized, why would replacement logbooks, or statements of aeronautical experience be? Or am I missing something?
In some (most? many?) states, notaries can also administer oaths. So the FAA may be thinking the statement would be sworn, but they don't specify any particular form, so who knows. The FAA guidance is also a little different from what the OP seems to be contemplating. More like a statement such as, "As of September 30, 2022, I had accumulated 389 hours of total flying time, 68 hours of dual received, 120 hours of PIC, 98 hours of solo, etc." If instead you recreate the individual flights, no one would necessarily even know it was a reconstruction.

Necessary or not, I'd rather go beyond what is required than risk falling short of it. The way I'm imagining this in my mind is that I basically need copies of all aircraft logs, my 8710-1, statements from operators and instructors, and any other supporting evidence that supports my claim that the hours put in my new logbook are indeed accurate and truthful, have it notarized (whether necessary or not, couldn't hurt), and have multiple copies for my flight bag, a safe at home, and digitally.

Even with all that there's still a nagging thought in the back of my mind that something about all this might come back to cause trouble.

@Catfish47 , first, stop beating yourself up. It's an unfortunate event but is recoverable, and I'm sure you'll take better steps in the future. So get past feeling like an idiot - it happens.

But I think you're making the reconstruction more complicated than it necessarily needs to be. For example, there is no real NEED to recreate each flight of your Private training. You can get the IACRA form which tells you how many hours you had at the time of the checkride. So all you really need to do is make one entry in your logbook with those hours. Some categories of time aren't reflected on the IACRA form but can probably be estimated, or at least a minimum number arrived at because of the regulations.

For example, going for your Private checkride, maybe your IACRA form says you had 58.6 total hours. If you know it was all in a Cessna 172, that's what you enter. Also on that line, you know you had at least 10 hours of solo time, and 8 hours of XC time (3 dual and 5 solo). Obviously if you know you had more, use those values. And so on for the rest of the requirements in 61.109. Unless you had some unusual training (like you started in a glider for part of the training, or had helicopter time or something like that), this will get you pretty close.

For the instrument rating work so far, your instructor should be able to help with that.

For other flying, do your best to reconstruct the total. But if all you can do is estimate then that's all you can do.

And remember, the purpose of a logbook is to show two things:
- Currency - this is easy, you'll just document this going forward anyway.
- Eligibility for ratings - you don't need to prove that for your private certificate since you already have it, and for your instrument rating your current instructor should be able to help.

Or am I missing something?

You’re missing the part where a government organization is involved. Therefore things don’t have to make sense.

I think this thread gives a valid reason to keep a digital logbook, at least as a backup.

You are not missing anything, I was only answering the question about why AOPA said it. That paragraph has been there for a looong time.

And yes, this subject can be overthought in the extreme. But that's what pilots do. Kind of like cross country endorsements :D

First, that sucks.

My personal thought would be to get a new logbook and on page one put something like:
Previous logbook was stolen on or about <date> The following entries are reconstructions based upon other records.

Then enter your long entries as best you can, noting CFI name / certificate / etc

When you're caught up with your recreated entries I would then add something to the effect of:
This ends the reconstructed entries. Date: <today's date> Signed: <your signature>

And if you really want, leave room for notarizing.

At this point I'd say you're done.

I'd also consider maybe removing following pages from that logbook and then getting a new logbook for ongoing entries. Same thing as if you'd completed a previous logbook and are now on logbook 2.

As a point of interest, let us know how this works out for you.

Good luck.

@Catfish47 , first, stop beating yourself up. It's an unfortunate event but is recoverable, and I'm sure you'll take better steps in the future. So get past feeling like an idiot - it happens.

But I think you're making the reconstruction more complicated than it necessarily needs to be. For example, there is no real NEED to recreate each flight of your Private training. You can get the IACRA form which tells you how many hours you had at the time of the checkride. So all you really need to do is make one entry in your logbook with those hours. Some categories of time aren't reflected on the IACRA form but can probably be estimated, or at least a minimum number arrived at because of the regulations.

For example, going for your Private checkride, maybe your IACRA form says you had 58.6 total hours. If you know it was all in a Cessna 172, that's what you enter. Also on that line, you know you had at least 10 hours of solo time, and 8 hours of XC time (3 dual and 5 solo). Obviously if you know you had more, use those values. And so on for the rest of the requirements in 61.109. Unless you had some unusual training (like you started in a glider for part of the training, or had helicopter time or something like that), this will get you pretty close.

For the instrument rating work so far, your instructor should be able to help with that.

For other flying, do your best to reconstruct the total. But if all you can do is estimate then that's all you can do.

And remember, the purpose of a logbook is to show two things:
- Currency - this is easy, you'll just document this going forward anyway.
- Eligibility for ratings - you don't need to prove that for your private certificate since you already have it, and for your instrument rating your current instructor should be able to help.
You're right, I need to just do my best to reconstruct the logbook, learn from it and make precautions for it not to happen again, and move on. I gotta remember that it could be a lot worse. I've never had any infractions, incidents, accidents, etc. No one is hurt and no aircraft has ever been damaged by me... could be worse, this is recoverable.

I'm going to contact the FAA and request all my submitted applications and flight time, that will at least provide irrevocable proof for the vast majority of my flight time. I'm also fortunate in that I had a dedicated instructor who wrote everything in my Private Pilot Syllabus (which thankfully I didn't leave in my flight bag) that he wrote into my logbook.

Getting the proof for my more current training should also be easy, I'm already working with the flight school to obtain all records. The majority of my hours are cut and dry and easily substantiated by direct evidence. Other than that I just need proof of my Third Class Medical, since that was in my logbook as well.

First, that sucks.

My personal thought would be to get a new logbook and on page one put something like:

Then enter your long entries as best you can, noting CFI name / certificate / etc

When you're caught up with your recreated entries I would then add something to the effect of:

And if you really want, leave room for notarizing.

At this point I'd say you're done.

I'd also consider maybe removing following pages from that logbook and then getting a new logbook for ongoing entries. Same thing as if you'd completed a previous logbook and are now on logbook 2.

As a point of interest, let us know how this works out for you.

Good luck.
Excellent points, I'll definitely format it like that. Keeps things clear cut with a defined beginning and end. And yes, I'll definitely keep this thread updated with how this goes. It might take some time but I'll definitely keep tabs. Hopefully this can help someone else out in the future, or at least inspire those with their original logbooks to make copies both digital and paper and take extra care not to lose their logbook.

Normal logbooks aren't notarized, why would replacement logbooks, or statements of aeronautical experience be? Or am I missing something?
FWIW: The notary requirement is mainly due to how the system is set up. There are also notary requirements for certain aircraft records and FAA forms. In very general terms, the system requires an unbroken chain of continuity from start to finish for various records, etc.. And since a majority of those chains are created/maintained by private individuals vs public entities, when that chain is broken or missing links there is guidance provided for the custodian/creator of those "chains" to reestablish the continuity in the chain. The notary simply gives a legal confirmation of the who and what just like with any other document. The FARs handle all the other details.

Do you rent?

The FBO should have records of every rental you did.

Do you have a copy of your 8710 from your PPL Check Ride? Check with the DPE if they can get you a copy.

For any dual, talk to your instructor, they should be able to help from their log book.

I lost my previous log book in a crash. I found I had not been keeping up my electronic log book, so lost about 2 years of flying. I could reconstruct some, as I knew some longer trips I took. But I probably lost between 50 and 100 hours of time.

I now use Safe Log Pro as my primary, and leave my paper logbook at home.

Safe Log Pro stores your data on every device you use (mine is on 2 desktops, 2 tablets, and 1 phone), plus they store the data on the cloud. Except for dual, I log on my phone or tablet, then later update my paper logbook.

I'm going to contact the FAA and request all my submitted applications and flight time, that will at least provide irrevocable proof for the vast majority of my flight time.
I assume you mean irrefutable proof, but there's no such thing. The information you get from the FAA will just be whatever you submitted to them, so if you already know that, getting it back from the FAA adds nothing. It isn't independent evidence that those times are accurate.

The accuracy of logbooks is based entirely on the honor system; the FAA's simple guidance on reconstructing them reflects that. Yes, on extremely rare occasions, the FAA has compared pilot logbooks to airplane logs and students' to instructors'. I can almost guarantee that isn't going to happen to you unless you're already engaged in something nefarious.

There's no way on this green earth anyone could verify most of the times in my logbook, even if they wanted to. The planes I fly now don't even have Hobbs meters, so I go by the clock. I don't check them out and there's no written record that it was me flying them on any given day. Sometimes I will even estimate times based on average duration of certain operations rather than tracking actual time. But it's close enough, I document everything I need for currency, insurance, and ratings, and no one cares about millimeter precision.

I used to have a file with all the receipts from my rentals, flight lessons, etc....
& I also used to keep all my old daytimer pocket calendars that I used primarily for work but basically noted trips, meetings, appointments, and everything in.
At some point probably during a move I asked myself "why am I keeping all this stuff, I never look at it....haven't for years."

Sometimes as I try to remember a person, a trip, or some event I sure do wish I still had all that info.

Check with the AME that did your medical certificate; they may be able to re-issue the medical certificate. If not, the FAA can process a replacement: https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/request_copy#
The thing is, I've been flying under BasicMed for the past year while I get some medicine stuff worked out, so I was keeping my expired 3rd Class Medical in my logbook along with all the BasicMed stuff to have proof that I was eligible for BasicMed (having been issued a 3rd Class Medical at some point prior).

I'm also going to have to see about getting all the BasicMed stuff re-done.

You have to do the Basic Med training every 2 years, so not a huge loss.

If you go back to the doctor, they may have a copy and supply one.

FAA has records of your Class 3 medicals.

You have to do the Basic Med training every 2 years, so not a huge loss.

If you go back to the doctor, they may have a copy and supply one.

FAA has records of your Class 3 medicals.
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/media/MedicalRecordsRequestForm.pdf

This is the form I need to use to get my Class 3 medical records, right?

The form asks for a FAA Medical Reference Number (App ID, MID, PI). I'm not even sure where that would be other than on the actual medical certificate, which is gone.

Last edited:
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/media/MedicalRecordsRequestForm.pdf

This is the form I need to use to get my Class 3 medical records, right?

The form asks for a FAA Medical Reference Number (App ID, MID, PI). I'm not even sure where that would be other than on the actual medical certificate, which is gone.
FWIW, BasicMed does not require you to hold an expired medical certificate. You just have to have held one at some point after 7/14/2006. If the public FAA airman inquiry page shows your last medical certificate, then the FAA knows that you held it.

FWIW, BasicMed does not require you to hold an expired medical certificate. You just have to have held one at some point after 7/14/2006. If the public FAA airman inquiry page shows your last medical certificate, then the FAA knows that you held it.
That would be great. That means I'd just have to get another copy of my BasicMed stuff. The class itself is still good, I just need to get another card issued, and talk to my Doctor and see if I can get another copy of what he gave me after the last exam.

EDIT: I was able to reprint my BasicMed class certificate. Now its just a matter of the copy of the exam papers in terms of the Medical side of things.

I'm not even sure the doctor made a copy, let alone has one. I guess if not we'll have to do the exam all over again?

Last edited:
That would be great. That means I'd just have to get another copy of my BasicMed stuff. The class itself is still good, I just need to get another card issued, and talk to my Doctor and see if I can get another copy of what he gave me after the last exam.

EDIT: I was able to reprint my BasicMed class certificate. Now its just a matter of the copy of the exam papers in terms of the Medical side of things.

I'm not even sure the doctor made a copy, let alone has one. I guess if not we'll have to do the exam all over again?

Something someone suggested, and I have adopted, was to just get an updated BasicMed every year at your yearly physical. The benefits include:
- Most doctors would just included it in the price of the physical since most if not all of that is tested anyway
- You don't have to remember two dates, one for the online testing portion and one for the exam portion, you take both every year
- If you no longer see your doctor due to changes in either your doctor's or your life, you will have plenty of time to find a replacement doctor

So, I say that to say why not go ahead and get a new updated BasicMed?

Back