Help for my hearing impaired pilot friend ...

txflyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly it like you STOL it ♦
I have an old friend who has hearing-aids. He has his medical, and he owns and fly's an old straight tail 172.

Now he wants his tailwheel endorsement and has his eye on a 170. But he couldn't hear the instructor behind him in a Citabria, so he dropped himself out of training.

Can you guys think of a quieter trainer or maybe a special headset or one that is really loud for the hearing impaired? He has a set of Bose ANR's and it's still no joy for him in a 7GCBC citabria. Thanks in advance. :)

Is his CFI talking through the intercom system or just yelling at him?

-Skip

You'll have to explain further? Is there too much ambient noise in the microphone, in the cabin, ? I can't imagine a citabria with a functioning intercom being too odd. Now an open cockpit of some sort where you get wind noise not only into the microphone but also it buffets the earpieces of the ANR headphones which can cause some very odd noise-producing side effects.

I took him flying in my 180 today, and gave him a cheap pair of ANR headset I have.

We experimented with it, and he said he could actually hear better with the ANR turned off.

I had the Icom turned way up, his headset was maxed out, and of coarse I had to turn my Zulu's way down unless I wanted hearing problems... but he could hear me good. I'll talk to him some more and try to get more specific details what was going on in the citabria.

We can take care of him. We are getting great results with ours. Here's one of our customers feedback:

(Sorry it's in all caps, because that's the way he wrote it.)

"SHANE: I AM THE GUY IN BENSON, AZ WITH THE FLAG PAINTED CHALLENGER II...USING THE FLAG PATTERN ARCUS HEADSET. I NOW HAVE ABOUT 50 HOURS ON THE SET AND I CAN HONESTLY SAY THAT THEY ARE BY FAR THE BEST, MOST COMFORTABLE HEADPHONES THAT I HAVE EVER USED. I WEAR HEARING AIDS AND THE ARCUS CAUSES NO INTERFERENCE AND THE SOUND IS CRYSTAL CLEAR. I HAVE WORN THEM FOR UP TO 4 HOURS AT A TIME (HAVE TO STOP AND PEE) AND THEY STAY COMFORTABLE. THANKS AGAIN FOR A GREAT PRODUCT. DAVE THOMPSON"

Let me know if we can help. We have a completely different ANR system, so we don't have the problems with our mic or ANR systems with hearing aids, noisy or open cockpits.

Last edited:
We can take care of him. We are getting great results with ours. Here's one of our customers feedback:

(Sorry it's in all caps, because that's the way he wrote it.)

"SHANE: I AM THE GUY IN BENSON, AZ WITH THE FLAG PAINTED CHALLENGER II...USING THE FLAG PATTERN ARCUS HEADSET. I NOW HAVE ABOUT 50 HOURS ON THE SET AND I CAN HONESTLY SAY THAT THEY ARE BY FAR THE BEST, MOST COMFORTABLE HEADPHONES THAT I HAVE EVER USED. I WEAR HEARING AIDS AND THE ARCUS CAUSES NO INTERFERENCE AND THE SOUND IS CRYSTAL CLEAR. I HAVE WORN THEM FOR UP TO 4 HOURS AT A TIME (HAVE TO STOP AND PEE) AND THEY STAY COMFORTABLE. THANKS AGAIN FOR A GREAT PRODUCT. DAVE THOMPSON"

Let me know if we can help. We have a completely different ANR system, so we don't have the problems with our mic or ANR systems with hearing aids, noisy or open cockpits.

Thanks. I will pass this along to him. :)

Back