hello?

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
sure is quiet in here about now... anybody here? I know you're here, I can hear you breathing... 'sides that, the tattle tale on the home page says that there's a buncha y'all lurking here... :p

OOH! A reason to post a reply! MORE POWER MR. SCOTT! I need posts! LOL

sshekels said:
OOH! A reason to post a reply! MORE POWER MR. SCOTT! I need posts! LOL
Here's some power bait... how's the weather in Orono, Mr. Shekels?
If you head NE for about 100 miles, you can wave at my birthplace... :D

I think we should talk about springtime. Yeah, it's almost here! The Spring Peepers are out and singing down by the creek! Such a happy sound. Before long it will be time to mow runways! Yeah!

It's about that nice here, too! mid-50's and sunny. Heck with work - I'm going flying!

Diana said:
I think we should talk about springtime. Yeah, it's almost here! The Spring Peepers are out and singing down by the creek! Such a happy sound. Before long it will be time to mow runways! Yeah!

March winds soon to give way to April showers. And pollen. Don't forget pollen. :(

On the positive side though, it's far more fun to fly in the cool temps of Spring before Summer's suffocating heat starts.

"It's about that nice here, too! mid-50's and sunny. Heck with work - I'm going flying!" posted in what I thought was directly under your thread... looks like "Quick Reply" posts directly to the parent thread... doesn't matter, 'cause I'm still going flying! :p

Just came back from "lunch". 1.2 hours in 6524R, the local rental Cutlass. It ain't pretty, but complex time is complex time. Cold up here in South Central PA, but pretty up at 3000. My procedures, in a plane I haven't flown since January, were rusty. Scraped some of that rust off though.

Jim G

Ran to Fry's Electronics for parts and picked up Extreme Landscape for FS2004 on a whim. Now I want to go home and re-install FS2004 (wiped from a cleanup a few months ago).

Went to the airport for lunch (CHD). Watched a lot of takeoff/landings. Saw a nice Fairchild take off. I hope to see that one tomorrow in Casa Grande, at the Cactus Fly-in.

I hate slow Friday afternoons. Have to keep reminding myself why I'm here...and try very hard not to fall asleep in my quiet little corner.

grattonja said:
Just came back from "lunch". 1.2 hours in 6524R, the local rental Cutlass. It ain't pretty, but complex time is complex time. Cold up here in South Central PA, but pretty up at 3000. My procedures, in a plane I haven't flown since January, were rusty. Scraped some of that rust off though.

Jim G
OK, I can't stand it anymore. All this talk of flying is making me nuts! I'm calling FSS to issue a NOTAM to activate the aerobatic practice area, then running out the back door to the hangar, throwing my parachute on and doing some acro.

Diana said:
OK, I can't stand it anymore. All this talk of flying is making me nuts! I'm calling FSS to issue a NOTAM to activate the aerobatic practice area, then running out the back door to the hangar, throwing my parachute on and doing some acro.

What I know about aerobatics couldn't fill an envelope. Do you really have to activate an aerobatic practice area before you go out and invert the plane? I always wondered how those sorts of practice areas work. I am visiting Jet Warbirds in Sante Fe in April (40th birthday present to both my wife and I) to fly L39s, and they have a practice area with defined boundaries, that goes almost up to FL18. I was wondering how they worked that airspace.

Call me curious

Jim G

grattonja said:
Do you really have to activate an aerobatic practice area before you go out and invert the plane?

Jim,

Since Diana is out looping and rolling I'll try to field your question.

Diana has filed an application with the FAA establishing an aerobatic practice area above her farm because there would be a problem flying acro there otherwise. There is a victor airway within 4 nm of the farm and it is a no-no to fly acro in that situation. The application asks for a waiver of that specific rule at her area. In addition, she has some friends who have low level waivers for acro and use her farm for practice on occasion. Below 1,500' agl requires another waiver of the rules. Diana has asked for and received waivers on both of these rules.

But the aerobatic practice area at Twin Oaks isn't always open. To "open the box" she has to call the FSS and notify them. They issue a local NOTAM that the area is open for aerobatic activity so the folks flying into area airports can be on the lookout. When she finishes, she'll need to close the box with the same agency.

The rules for flying aerobatics are as follows:

Sec. 91.303
Aerobatic flight.
No person may operate an aircraft in aerobatic flight--
(a) Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement;
(b) Over an open air assembly of persons;
(c) Within the lateral boundaries of the surface areas of Class B, Class C, Class D, or Class E airspace designated for an airport;
(d) Within 4 nautical miles of the center line of any Federal airway;
(e) Below an altitude of 1,500 feet above the surface; or
(f) When flight visibility is less than 3 statute miles.
For the purposes of this section, aerobatic flight means an intentional maneuver involving an abrupt change in an aircraft's attitude, an abnormal attitude, or abnormal acceleration, not necessary for normal flight.

Flying acro (legally) when any of these conditions exists requires a waiver.

Chip

Other people are still free to fly through the box while you're doing acro, though, so it's still see and avoid for the acro pilot. You're not protected by the boundaries.

Toby said:
Other people are still free to fly through the box while you're doing acro, though, so it's still see and avoid for the acro pilot. You're not protected by the boundaries.

Ah. Good point. Thanks Toby.

Greg - this thread passed me by quickly, but I'm curious where you were born? The weather in Orono is crummy - 35 rain/sleet/drizzle, but in sunny AZ (where I am) its quite nice! 75 partly cloudy! :)

gibbons said:
Jim,

Since Diana is out looping and rolling I'll try to field your question.
Flying acro (legally) when any of these conditions exists requires a waiver.

Chip
Thanks Chip, I couldn't have explained it better. :)

I also have to call Kansas City ARTCC prior to conducting aerobatic activity.

Here's how the NOTAM read today:

KLLU
Data Current as of: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:04:00 GMT

03/039 - AEROBATIC AREA 1500-6000 3 NMR LLU180005/08MO AVOIDANCE ADZD 04 MAR 21:30 UNTIL 05 MAR 00:01

Chip actually did most of the work writing up the waiver and making the different maps required for the application (thanks again Chip!).

Jim,

You're going to enjoy the L39. Not terribly fast for a jet but close enough to get all the sensations you're looking for. Larry is very well thought of in the jet warbird world and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. I'll be flying in a somewhat larger acro box South of you during that time do maybe I'll catch a tail number on VHF. Did you get the LOM NDB info I sent you?

gkainz said:
"I'm still going flying! :p

Was supposed to do an hour with an instructor doing simulated instruments for the 3rd part of my Wings training...no instructors available so I took a '99 172R for a 1.5 hr hop from 48V-FNL-GXY-48V just for the fun of it. Theraputic! :D

Back