Hello Everybody

COFlyBoy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
COFlyBoy
I've been lurking for a while, and just started posting, so I thought I should introduce myself. Besides we have a snow day here in Denver, so no work.
My name is Joel. I am an Aerospace Systems Engineer and I live in Aurora, CO. I've got three cute kids and a beautiful (and understanding) wife.
I fly my Dad's Cherokee 6 out of Van Aire Airpark, just north of DIA. I started formal flight training when I turned 16, and completed my PPL at 19. My Dad was very kind and paid for the flight time right up until I got my license, then he said I was on my own, so that was the end of my flying for quite a while. I was way too poor in college to even think about flying. Then about a year and a half ago it dawned on me that I could now afford to waste my money on flying again after a 13 year hiatus.
Now I'm dragging my family all over the high plains.
picture.php

Hi Joel. Welcome to POA! I live SE of Denver and dug myself out this morning. We had our company picnic this summer at Van Aire, which was the first time I had been there. Nice place!

Welcome to PoA. I live near New York and don't fly as often as I wish. Still working on my IFR and helping Hubby learn to be a CFI. Visit kids in CA and OK from time to time in our C-172. Hoping for Oshkosh this year.

Welcome.... Great people here, excluding me.. I am the part that's in a washing machine.. the ' agitator'. :lol::yesnod:.. I am up here in Jackson Hole and you guys are getting all our snow,,, dagnabit.

Tailwinds.
Ben.

Welcome, Joel! Glad you've decided to give up your lurking ways! :) I'm sure you know by now that this is one of the (if not the) best aviation boards out there!

Welcome! I'm Austin living in Evergreen CO and I'm always willing to bum rides :D

Hey Joel, Welcome to POA. Glad you came out of lurker status. Jump right in to any post like you have been here for years! Hope to see you at one of our flyins. And if that is your Six we MUST insist on pictures including panel:D

Welcome. Nice Six, good airplane, I only recently discovered it had a front baggage compartment. Does yours have club seating?

Thanks All for the hearty welcome.

Lot's of interest in the 6, so here's the skinny.
Its my Dad's plane. He's owned it since '83 or '84.
1966 PA-32-260
~2500 TT ~600 SMOH
It has the original interior, which is in great shape for being 44 years old. It has forward seating, and a pretty basic panel. It is IFR, but I'd never trust my life to what is there. So, before I do any real IFR flight there will be some upgrades.
Here are a couple of pictures that I do have:
picture.php

picture.php

Also, last weekend I installed the Alpha Aviation shoulder harnesses. Man, they went in really easy. All told it took me, my Dad, and our A&P about 3.5 hours to get them in. I'll pick up the log books this weekend. They look like a factory install.

Wow. Other than the tail number, that looks exactly like my Six. It's a great plane.

Welcome Joel. I mostly lurk, but chime in once in awhile.

Joel

It appears as though you keep your 260 out in the country on a grass runway, how do you like that, how long a strip? i have always wonder how a cherokee would handle on grass, the nose gear seems to be built strong enough.

Willie,
Actually, just the space between my Dad's hangar and the taxiway is grass (weeds really). My folks live at an airpark, so the hangar is in the back yard, and all the houses have a taxiway running behind them. The runway is 3800 paved.
I've never landed on grass. I know the smaller Cherokees get flown off grass a lot. I think the 6 would have no trouble as long as it is well below gross. 3400lbs gross, 1750lbs empty, and 1650lbs useful. This leaves a lot of room for extra performance when you need it. Just have to be light on the nosewheel.

Ha! Cute kids is right! Howdy, I used to be based at Front Range, KFTG and know Van Aire, up near Brighton?

The Six is a great plane!

Back