Hello all...

JoeH

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JWH20
Hello all. I'm 65 years young and have been interested in becoming a pilot for decades. I'm not really sure why it's taken this long but I guess the answer is that life just happens.

My mother became a pilot in 1965 which was a time when women flying was quite uncommon.

So at this point I am really feeling the urge to get going on this and get my private pilot license but I have some concerns. The first one is the medical exam. I've been trying to find out what the actual requirements are but am probably not looking in the right place. What are the issues that can disqualify me from passing the medical exam?

Thanks!

This would be better in the POA Medical subforum. The mods can move it.

I suggest you spend some time perusing that subforum. There are MANY things that can cause you a problem.

The best advice I can give is for you to fill out the medical application form, print it out, then cut off the number at the bottom. That prevents it from being submitted inadvertently. Make an appointment with an Aviation Medical Examiner (AME) for a consultation ONLY. Review your form and medical history with the AME to learn if there are any show-stoppers. DO NOT go live with a submitted application until you are certain you will pass.

If it looks difficult or impossible to get the medical, you can still become a Sport Pilot as long as you have a driver’s license. Sport Pilots can fly light sport aircraft: fixed gear, simple, lightweight planes. You’d be limited to daytime VFR and no more than one passenger but that’s sufficient for many pilots.

BUT if you apply for a medical and get denied, you can no longer do Sport Pilot.

never too late to start, Joe. I originally started in 1982 and then life got in the way...for 30-years! earned my Sport certificate at age 62. it's never too late.

regarding the medical...

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/become/medical

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/standards/

https://landing.redbirdflight.com/posts/student-pilot-medical-certificate

a word...ok, three words. first, don't take the medical exam unless you're certain you will pass. if you take the exam and do not pass the door to flying is just about closed. you're essentially grounded. second, find an AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) that will do a "practice" exam. Essentially an unofficial exam that is identical to the official exam but it doesn't ground you if you fail. lastly, an alternative to the Private certificate is the aforementioned Sport Pilot certificate. google that and see if that would be a good Plan B, or even a Plan A, for you. but if you fail a medical exam the Sport Pilot path is closed to you. the major obstacle to Sport Pilot may be a lack of training opportunities where you live.

good luck!

My mother became a pilot in 1965 which was a time when women flying was quite uncommon

I got to meet a very uncommon woman pilot fro that era last Christmas. She is one of the last 2 surviving members of the Mercury 13 program.

Me and Wally Funk.
8F2BCC52-79EF-40D6-8102-5D1B78EDF135.jpeg

As a 70 yr old, some advice. If you are denied a 3rd class, you are prohibited from obtaining an LSA license using your valid State driver’s license as you “medical.” However—and this is a strange quirk, if you never ask the FAA that question, you can fly LSA on your DL doing a self-check for fitness. (Of course, there are waivers if you are denied a 3rd class, but none are automatic and nothing happens fast at OKC).

As a former Army L-19 driver, & 1000-hr (50-year), private pilot, now exercising the privileges of a Sport Pilot & using my DL as a medical, I’ve been thrilled flying my Bushcat LSA both locally & on cross countries. It’s all the plane I want or need. (Right now, LSAs are 2-place, fixed gear & prop, no more than about 120 mph, & 1320 gw., but some changes are on the way, I read.)

if you are intent on obtaining a 3rd Class & a PPL, do not fill out the on-line form at the FAA medical site. Instead, schedule an “informational” examination with an AME & determine you fitness before you officially apply for the medical. You’ll end up paying for two AME visits, but you’ll avoid disappointment of being prohibited from flying &, alternatively, the hassle of fighting through the FAA process to review every medication, surgery, or procedure you’re had in order to “maybe” being issued a 3rd Class.

join the AOPA at the higher level to get assistance & advice from their medical experts. Be proactive, not reactive. Know before you’re trapped.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back