Helicopter intro lesson in CA?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
I am trying to find a way for my son to get a helicopter intro lesson in CA. How do I find the nearest place near Lancaster, CA?

He is thinking about quitting his good paying, stable job to make a living at flying helicopters, but hasn't even been in one yet. :eek:

We have had a long talk about this and I suggested an intro lesson first before he makes any drastic decisions (like living in poverty for a few years, or more). He is now worrying that he will live his life having regrets that he never learned to fly a helicopter.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Hi Diana:

Natl Assoc of Flight Instructors has a website with searchable database of instructors by state: http://www.nafinet.org/
Not as good as a personal recommendation, but at least it's a place to start.
www.whirlygirls.org is the association of women helo pilots, you might find a recommendation there too.
In the greater Chicago area, which could arguably be called one of the "aviation capitols" of the world, I know of only 2 places to get helicopter training. I keep seeing the ads in the av mags for Univ of North Dakota helicopter training program but the ads seem to imply an Army commitment that goes along with that. Good luck,
Elizabeth

EHITCH said:
Hi Diana:

Natl Assoc of Flight Instructors has a website with searchable database of instructors by state: http://www.nafinet.org/
Not as good as a personal recommendation, but at least it's a place to start.
www.whirlygirls.org is the association of women helo pilots, you might find a recommendation there too.
Good luck,
Elizabeth

Thanks Elizabeth, you've given me a place to start. :)

EHITCH said:
In the greater Chicago area, which could arguably be called one of the "aviation capitols" of the world....
"Arguably" is the key word here.

gibbons said:

I don't know if I ever mentioned this before, but I was once stuck for many hours at Midway Airport in Chicago, waiting for a flight, and while there, I had to stare at the many many signs that said something to the extent of "Mayor Daley, A Hero to Aviation" or something like that.

Made me want to puke.

My ex boss lives in Cal City ( a bit father up the road from Landscatter). She's helo rated, she recommends Group 3 at VNY.

Thanks Steve and Dee. Now I can give him a few more places to check out.

Steve said:
If he decides to go the rotorhead route, he may want to train where the airspace is a little less "occupied"
I'd love it if he would move closer to home. MS isn't nearly as far as CA. :)

Diana,

I left a good paying business to fly helicopters for a living, so your son isn't all crazy just yet. :)

I agree he needs to go up for an intro flight first, maybe even the first 5 lessons or so, to really get the feel for it...

If he's still in love with it at that point, then he should go for it. Not following your dreams and living a life you don't want is a terrible waste of a life...

In my own personal opinion anyway. :D

Whirlwind said:
Diana,

I left a good paying business to fly helicopters for a living, so your son isn't all crazy just yet. :)

I agree he needs to go up for an intro flight first, maybe even the first 5 lessons or so, to really get the feel for it...

If he's still in love with it at that point, then he should go for it. Not following your dreams and living a life you don't want is a terrible waste of a life...

Thanks Jason, I'll pass this info on to him, as well as your philosophy (which I happen to agree with). :)

gibbons said:

If I could figure out how to post pix, I'd show you one of what Meigs looks like now. Make you cry.
EH

I you want to come to Northern California Oakland, Concord, or Hayward I can set you up with someone that will take you up and provide some good information as well. Send me an e-mail and I will make the arrangments.

Stache

Stache said:
I you want to come to Northern California Oakland, Concord, or Hayward I can set you up with someone that will take you up and provide some good information as well. Send me an e-mail and I will make the arrangments.

Stache

Thank you! I'll pass this on to my son. :)

Back