Helicopter Hell

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Now the pilot of this helo is pretty damn skilled.

Attachments

• LandThisWhere.wmv
    7.2 MB · Views: 210
Just a little crosswind, what's the problem?

Notice the down force on the rotors once the gear is on the deck. Fully compresses the gear struts. STICK it to the deck!!

I saw that, cool video

Notice the down force on the rotors once the gear is on the deck. Fully compresses the gear struts. STICK it to the deck!!

There is also a spear/hook at the back of the cabin that extends down shortly after he touches down (2:07 in the HD version) and locks the helicopter to the grid portion of the heli-deck.

Hell? Heaven is more like it. Really just another day in the life of helicopter pilots. If they wanted a boring job they would fly airplanes.:rofl:

Hell? Heaven is more like it. Really just another day in the life of helicopter pilots. If they wanted a boring job they would fly airplanes.:rofl:

HEY! Flying airplanes isn't all fun and games! Why just yesterday I had to shoot a VOR approach to a 5000 foot runway in LIGHT RAIN!! And the worst part: the FBO was out of COOKIES! The horror.

Bet thats no sweat for Laurie:D

Thanks for the vote of confidence Adam, but I'm flying a much larger machine to much larger drilling ships and rigs that give me the option of at least landing mostly into the wind. It's really easier than it looks most days. Just need a little patience and a little rhythm to time the landing with the heave, pitch and roll.

Looks like a can of window cleaner and a Garmin portable up on the dash.

HEY! Flying airplanes isn't all fun and games! Why just yesterday I had to shoot a VOR approach to a 5000 foot runway in LIGHT RAIN!! And the worst part: the FBO was out of COOKIES! The horror.

My God man! The Huge Manatee!

It has to be interesting staying level while looking at the back of the boat rolling like that. Not hard just a little odd in the video the first time when half the visual horizon you're looking at is rolling.

I like the guy standing there with the flags not moving. "Yep, rolling all over the place, good luck with that. I'll just stand here and watch for a while."

Thanks for the vote of confidence Adam, but I'm flying a much larger machine to much larger drilling ships and rigs that give me the option of at least landing mostly into the wind. It's really easier than it looks most days. Just need a little patience and a little rhythm to time the landing with the heave, pitch and roll.

Translation: "Yep, it's no sweat." ;)

It has to be interesting staying level while looking at the back of the boat rolling like that. Not hard just a little odd in the video the first time when half the visual horizon you're looking at is rolling.

I like the guy standing there with the flags not moving. "Yep, rolling all over the place, good luck with that. I'll just stand here and watch for a while."

Yea, I was wondering about that guy myself. And I'd say that guy standing there had balls nearly as large as the crew on the helicopter. I know a woman, Commander, USN (Retired) who flew SH-60s off of destroyers. She said that deck crew have been killed by the rotor blades.

OMG when I met Troy I pulled out my free FBO chapstick from Monterey Jet Center and thought of you. Thanks again for the pilot pep talk that morning and reminder about those funny things called clearance deliveries. The little jet plane on the chapstick is awesome, along with all the other free goodies..... hoping to fly to another FBO in March (San Luis Obispo).

There's actually a little claw that comes out and grabs the deck grating and pulls down on the helicopter to anchor it to the deck. You can see it extend right at touchdown.

--Carlos V.

Back