heating bills

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
January's bill was cheaper than December - you gotta love a warm January!

I paid 215 in December and 190 in January.

last year I paid 170 in January and 117 in February (I don't have my 2004 figures handy but if I remember I will check on them).

How are your gas bills? I have gas heat and stove and etc by the way.

And if you are electric only, how are they comparing?

Pretty much the same as last year. But my electric and gas are combined. I'm not sure how each one breaks down.

i turned the AC on this afternoon. Thats gonna cost me.

New place this year but I've been able to keep the heat down (warm days included) and keep the bills under $100. 3rd floor cold water walkup. But then, I'm keeping it at 60 about 18 hours a day.

Since Oct 20th I have payed $1822.23, for 785 gallons of #2 heating oil.:( :( :(

Last year same time $1307.43, 729 gallons.

Last year in Jan. I payed $1.76/gal, this year it is $2.35/gal.

If I went back another year I would start crying!

Lowest price for unleaded in town right now is $2.26/gal.

I'm going broke fast, there will be no flying this summer:mad: unless it is really necessary. Credit card debt is killing me! I'm hoping to hit the Nenana Ice Classic this spring!:rolleyes:

gas and electric combined
Dec 2004 - $180
Dec 2005 - $330
Jan 2006 - over $400

unfreakin' believable! I just hauled in two truckloads of firewood - the furnace is getting pushed down to 50 and the fireplace is gonna burn 24x7 ... I'm also seriously considering building up a waste vegetable oil/biodiesel unit in the garage for the truck, since diesel is still over $2.50 here.

Mine is all messed up. The utility read the meter wrong in Dec.

Since I have a swimming pool that runs year-round, my numbers will be off...

Good grief. How big of a house do you guys NEED for these kinds of bills? I have electric heat but this year has been real mild. Highest bill has been maybe $90. Even in my worst hot month in Phoenix, though, my bill doesn't go above $150!

Brian Austin said:
Good grief. How big of a house do you guys NEED for these kinds of bills? I have electric heat but this year has been real mild. Highest bill has been maybe $90. Even in my worst hot month in Phoenix, though, my bill doesn't go above $150!

You have a pool?

The pool alone is $150 - $175 a month.....

wsuffa said:
You have a pool?

The pool alone is $150 - $175 a month.....
Heck no. My NEIGHBOR has the pool. I hate taking care of those big bathtubs that get used too little for their expense.

Just paid my first $400+ gas bill. Did not use significantly more gas than last year, but natural gas is just high these days (ask a chemical plant controller how he likes gas prices.... and duck!).

I'm heating 4000K with two furnaces. December was $325.00 and last month was $158.00. Winters in Ohio are not fun. Az is starting to sound real nice.

woodstock said:

I paid 215 in December and 190 in January.

last year I paid 170 in January and 117 in February (I don't have my 2004 figures handy but if I remember I will check on them).

How are your gas bills? I have gas heat and stove and etc by the way.

And if you are electric only, how are they comparing?

I'm trying to figure out how my gas consumption was higher this
year than last for January .. and the temperature averaged about 25
to 30 degrees warmer.

woodstock said:

Oh, am I p!ssed! Yes, I loved the warm January, and I used 15% less therms than December, so I was expecting an equal 15% reduction in my gas bill. So why the heck was it only $4 less? I grab the calculator, and they charged me $1.44/therm in December, but jacked it up to $1.66/therm in January. Interestingly, a 15% increase in gas cost to offset the 15% decrease in usage. Did gas really go up 15% in one month? I'm livid, and calling the rat bastards about this.

How are your gas bills?

Steep, $300 in December, $296 in January, to heat 3300sq ft to the warm warm temp of 68F. And, we turn it back during the day and at night.

That wooshing sound you hear is dollars being sucked from my wallet.

:( :( :(

If energy prices continue to rocket up, I wonder how long it will be until people start downsizing to smaller, more efficient homes as well???

NOrmally our January heating bill is around $125.00. This year it was $279.00. I've reprogrammed the downstairs thermostat to maintain 69 while we are at home and 60 at night and while we are away during the day. Up stairs is set to 69 and 65 respectivly.

We'll see what the next bill looks like.

The joys of owning a small home(1200 sqf) with wood heat, and total electric everything else. Highest electric bill was in January at $101. I buy may wood from a local saw mill at $7 a pickup load, times two loads per month, $14 per month to heat the house. Add in $20 for gas to get to the saw mill and back ups it to $34.00.

Flyboy said:
NOrmally our January heating bill is around $125.00. This year it was $279.00. I've reprogrammed the downstairs thermostat to maintain 69 while we are at home and 60 at night and while we are away during the day. Up stairs is set to 69 and 65 respectivly.

We'll see what the next bill looks like.

how can you have such huge bills in Charlotte NC? I didn't think it would get so cold down there, especially this year?

Bill Jennings said:
Oh, am I p!ssed! Yes, I loved the warm January, and I used 15% less therms than December, so I was expecting an equal 15% reduction in my gas bill. So why the heck was it only $4 less? I grab the calculator, and they charged me $1.44/therm in December, but jacked it up to $1.66/therm in January. Interestingly, a 15% increase in gas cost to offset the 15% decrease in usage. Did gas really go up 15% in one month? I'm livid, and calling the rat bastards about this.

Steep, $300 in December, $296 in January, to heat 3300sq ft to the warm warm temp of 68F. And, we turn it back during the day and at night.

That wooshing sound you hear is dollars being sucked from my wallet.

:( :( :(

If energy prices continue to rocket up, I wonder how long it will be until people start downsizing to smaller, more efficient homes as well???

well, if there is a mass stampede to downsize, there is going to be a massive glut of really cheap BIG houses on the market.

woodstock said:
well, if there is a mass stampede to downsize, there is going to be a massive glut of really cheap BIG houses on the market.

Yes, I've wondered about that, with everyone taking advantage of cheap interest rates and mortgaging up to the biggest house they can possibly afford.

Have the FED increase the rates, hurt the ARM and interest only buyers, then add higher heating costs on large homes...is this the end of the housing boom?

Bill Jennings said:
Have the FED increase the rates, hurt the ARM and interest only buyers, then add higher heating costs on large homes...is this the end of the housing boom?

Well Toll Brother's (luxury home builder) stock took a hit yesterday. The boom is slowing, but I don't know if its over. There are a few overheated markets like Las Vegas and parts of the east and west coast. Real Estate is very localized and markets like these will slow, but I don't see a national real estate bubble bursting anytime soon. It will be interesting to see the next ten years or so as Baby Boomers retire and go from their McMansions to something single level and possibly smaller.

Anthony said:
It will be interesting to see the next ten years or so as Baby Boomers retire and go from their McMansions to something single level and possibly smaller.
Just turn the kids' rooms into the library, billiards room, and workout room. No problem, mon.

Why would someone in Florida have HEATING bills?
(I keep my house at 60 degrees, 65 when I am awake.)

I had a new more effiecent gas furnace installed in Oct. My gas usage went down over previous years but im still paying more. 1625 sq. foot home cost 206.00 in Dec. and 198.00 in Jan. My highest bill last year was 170.00. and I used a lot more gas.

N2212R said:
Heh, I used to think the same thing when I moved down here from Michigan (right next door to you, Ed!). It actually DOES get cold here in AZ, especially at night. High 30's this morning but normal is in the 20's. And January should normally top out in the 60's to low 70's vs the 80's we've been seeing.

It's a much different type of cold here, too, I've found. Much drier (duh, it's the desert) makes for a cooler 'perceived' temperature compared to Michigan. A 60 temp in MI would have me in short sleeves but that's darn near flannel weather here. ;)

N2212R said:

So speaketh single man. I remember my batch days, keeping the heat low, saving money. Now, its "Hey, turn up the heat, I'm cold" as she's on her way out the door to Ann Taylor...

Bill Jennings said:
Now, its "Hey, turn up the heat, I'm cold" as she's on her way out the door to Ann Taylor...

Yeah they love that place (Ann Taylor). Do they sell crack there? And don't forget Talbots!

rent: $450 per month. two bedroom. that includes heat.

electric is about $25 a month.

...Flying ..on the other hand....is a bit more.

Last edited:
Just got my bill for January. $135.00. It was a far colder month but I had reprogrammed both thermostats for lower temps.

Best way to make a cold (68 degrees) house feel warm is to take a 2 mile walk in the 30 degree weather. :yes:

One of the nice things about living in a condo in the relatively mild San Francisco East Bay climate is that my utility bills stay constant year round – about $30 a month. This is partly because my building has radiant floor heating and the woman upstairs leaves her heat cranked up all the time. She heats her floor (my ceiling) so I only have to turn my heat on maybe six times a year. The money saved is much better spent on flying.

Taylor

Back