Heart Murmur

• Thread starter You Broke My Heart
  • Start date
Y

You Broke My Heart

Yesterday during a routine physical my doctor noticed a slight heart murmur. This is the first time this has been observed, including when I got my most recent medical a few months ago (although he didn't seem to be paying much attention). He said that most likely it's nothing, but suggested that I get an echo cardiogram, which has been scheduled for Friday.

Before going and getting the test done, I'm wondering two things:

1) How does (or doesn't) a heart murmur impact my medical?
2) How does (or doesn't) getting an echo cardiogram impact renewal of my medical?

The above two questions assume the test shows no problems. If it's something serious, then obviously that will have greater ramifications.

I have a second class medical which I need to keep. I'm otherwise healthy and in my mid-20s. No problems whatsoever getting my medical at this point, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Thanks in advance for advice from the gurus.

Before going and getting the test done, I'm wondering two things:

1) How does (or doesn't) a heart murmur impact my medical?
2) How does (or doesn't) getting an echo cardiogram impact renewal of my medical?

The above two questions assume the test shows no problems. If it's something serious, then obviously that will have greater ramifications.

If you are asymptomatic and its not causing you a problem should be a non issue. These murmurs USUALLYaren't problems that are" associated with sudden incapacitation (the kind of thing the FAA grounds people for), and very well may be what is called an "incidental finding".. fancy speak for "you are great, but we also noticed xyz...".

BUT.. the echocardiogram will give some information (some of which will validate the physical exam, and some of which will be new data). The fact that the examining physician heard the murmur means that any good, thorough AME would hear it too. Dr Bruce would have to say whether the FAA wants Echo's for asymptomatic murmurs, but I do seem to vaguely remember him saying in a similar case that if an Echo is done, the test results (or even the entire study raw data) have to be presented to the AME for review.

The echo will identify which valve or valves are leaky (the typical cause of heart murmurs are leaky heart valves), and to what degree, and if its causing abnormally elevated pressures in the heart or lungs (the ultrasound gives readings of structure size and bloodflow velocity, which allows them to estimate pressures and determine if they are abnormal or not.

Dr Bruce would have to say whether the FAA wants Echo's for asymptomatic murmurs, but I do seem to vaguely remember him saying in a similar case that if an Echo is done, the test results (or even the entire study raw data) have to be presented to the AME for review.
Stop. You have nothing so far, that is how you want it.

"incident murmur noted" if you feel you must report it; the AME will listen to it as well.

If your exercise tolerance is good, it's not a concern at age 25.

So the advice here is that I should cancel the test? Playing devil's advocate, if this doctor heard it, then chances are the AME will hear it (although he didn't hear it 4 months ago - so it either developed in that time frame, or the AME wasn't paying attention). What I'm looking for is a bit more in terms of why I should or shouldn't get it done. If it comes back negative, then how does it present a problem?

I have good exercise tolerance and am asymptomatic. The doctor said he didn't figure it was a problem, but seemed a bit concerned about what he heard, hence requesting the test.

If it comes back negative, then how does it present a problem?

It's a problem because the FAA may require a boatload of expensive tests - just to be sure. Think "deferral" too. Every time you get a medical.

Wait for Dr. Bruce's reply to your recent email and FOLLOW HIS ADVICE!

-Skip

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back