Hearing protection for children??

drizzt76

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Scott M.
Thinking about taking our 19 month old daughter with us in an Archer II. She will not wear earmuffs or plugs...does anyone have any other suggestions. Truthfully I've never flown without a headset so I don't know how much noise is in a cockpit, never thought of it until now.

back seat of an archer is not too bad as far as noise.

All three of my now-middle school age kids have been flying since before they were born and were in an airplane within a month of being born. At 19 months, your daughter is old enough to learn to keep the headset on. Just make it non-negotiable, like being in a car seat. I found it quite easy to train my kids to wear them. If you don't have a kid-sized headset, that might be part of the problem, as they not only will fit a small head better but also don't clamp as tight.

If she absolutely will not cooperate and you are willing to give in, I don't see the harm in occasional flight with no hearing protection. I learned to fly in the days before headsets, and it's not really all that bad in a light single -- unless you do it all the time.

Thanks guys...I'll look into childs headsets. My son who is 8 will not have a problem at all but our girl is little hellian. It's good to know that if she flicks them off it will not be too much noise for her. Come to think of it...she isn't napping yet and when she screams....well it's louder than the Archer will ever be. Any more comments or advice about flying with kids are welcome....I'm venturing into unknown territory. Tony, just for your information we still have a sitter for the Ames trip.:yes:

flying with kids - take someone along to take care of the kid. believe you me, its tricky to get the 7 yr old to open the sic sac and get it in front of the 3 yr olds mouth before they blow. trying to coordinate that activity and keep airplane on some resembelance of safe flight can get a little hectic.

get a sitter if you want. you would hear no complaints from me if you brought the kids, i like them, probably cause im about 8 going on 23.

Are the Pilot Cadet headsets still on the market? They are kid-sized units in kid-desired bright colors, and come with a back-pack carrying case which (I am told) kids get really excited about wearing to/from the airport.

Back