Hearing Aid

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi All,

Would wearing a hearing aid affect my class 3 medical?

I am getting older, 64, and my hearing is not as good as it used to be. I just passed my medical in October, and with no problems. I basically hear okay but I notice I need to be facing my wife to hear normal conservation and have to ask for things to be repeated.

Thanks,
Terry

Say again all after "uhhh"?

Hi All,

Would wearing a hearing aid affect my class 3 medical?

I am getting older, 64, and my hearing is not as good as it used to be. I just passed my medical in October, and with no problems. I basically hear okay but I notice I need to be facing my wife to hear normal conservation and have to ask for things to be repeated.

Thanks,
Terry

Terry,

I'm no expert on this topic by any means but the guy who taught me to fly was in his '70s and had hearing aids. So, I'd speculate that the answer is no...it won't have a negative effect on your class 3 medical.

Terry, we certify you in whatever configuration you have to be in to pass the 8500-8 3rd class exam. "Must wear hearing amplification" is a common restriction on medical certificates. After all, we are all getting old. Sigh.

Terry, we certify you in whatever configuration you have to be in to pass the 8500-8 3rd class exam. "Must wear hearing amplification" is a common restriction on medical certificates. After all, we are all getting old. Sigh.

JOOC, does a headset connected to an intercom and radio with volume controls qualify as "hearing amplification"? If not, why not?

Doc, would a headset be considered hearing amplification by the FAA?

It does qualify. We can even specify that. However it's really poor. What you need for speech recognition is more high frequency amplification than midrange, and even Bose sucks at that.

Last edited:
I have rather severe hearing loss and I have a pair of the most powerful CIC (completely in the Canal) hearing aids available. I really need a set of behind the ear aids for every day use because they have more power. I had to have one of the channels on my little "in the ear" hearing aids programmed so that I can put on a headset without feedback. Even as advanced as my hearing loss is I do ok in the cockpit. I haven't gone to the behind the ear type yet because I am afraid they would interfere with the fit of the headset cup. So far, the technology of the CIC aids has kept up with the deterioration of my hearing. I come from a long line of stone deaf old people. I am getting a pair of Zulus soon and I can't wait to jump into the world of ANR. I am hoping the ANR is compatible with my hearing aids though.

I'm surprised that no aviation headset manufacturer hasn't come out with a "hearing aid compatible" model, e.g. something that delivers audio magnetically to one or two hearing aids like some telephones do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back