Hear your METARs

There's a new feature in the Flight Data Recorder Mobile iPhone/iPad app, that let's you hear current METARs as if you were tuning an ATIS or AWOS wxr frequency.

Check out the short tutorial video:
http://youtu.be/DzNpnP6C4EI

and more information on this site: https://sites.google.com/site/luisgordo2/instructorstation/fdr

Sorry to be critical but this seems 100% useless to me.

If I'm on the ground I can just read it faster than it can speak it. If I REALLY want it read to me many places have a number to dial up the ATIS and then I can be 100% sure I'm getting correct info.

If I'm in the air there's no way I can hear that unless I have my headset tied into the device.

If I'm flight planning I probably am getting the weather in a big chunk from whatever I'm using to plan the flight which likely isn't going to be this app.

Finally, why would I want to have it read off all of the METARs on the page?

Bottom line: Why would I want it spoken to me when reading is faster and I don't have to wait for it to go around again if I missed something? Better tool would be a METAR "translator" for those people who have trouble reading raw METAR output.

However, you do get bonus points for making it "sound" like the ASOS/AWOS, that made me smile at least. But you loose all of that for the SUPER loud intro audio to the video.

P.S. I'm assuming you work on this app. Apologies if you're just posting it.

Last edited:
Good idea ,but don't see the practicality of using it. Having stratus and the I pad works for me.

Thanks for the criticism - all input is certainly welcome.

I can tell you that there are many pilots who are already using it though... must be finding it of use!

Cheers!

Thanks for the criticism - all input is certainly welcome.

I can tell you that there are many pilots who are already using it though... must be finding it of use!

Cheers!

How would you know?

Downloads are not the same as uses. There are quite a lot of aviation apps I've downloaded, tried, and rejected.

I'm not seeing the benefit here, either. On the ground, it's a few too many steps removed from a speed-dial. In the air, I can't hear it, and don't really want to.

Might be good for student pilots or those learning how to read/interpret METARS. would give them practice translating it and then listening to see if they got it right or to get used to what to expect to hear when they tune the AWOS.

I agree - good training tool I suppose but I was reading the METAR while it was talking and I had all the info in about 5 seconds and she's just getting started...

I agree - good training tool I suppose but I was reading the METAR while it was talking and I had all the info in about 5 seconds and she's just getting started...

As we're in the Pilot Training forum, I would suggest that this could be a great tool for students just learning to translate METAR coding. Hearing it spoken, while reading along, could be a real help for anyone feeling challenged by the codiing.

Kudos to the developer who is exploring new ways to utilize technology and bring another tool to the table which promotes the learning experience.

Back