Headsets?

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by Chesterspal, May 13, 2019.

1. Chesterspal

Chesterspal Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Chesterspal
    What headsets are good for beginning pilots to purchase?

2. simtech

simtech En-Route

Display name:
    Simtech
    How much are you willing to spend? I personally like the in ear type (qt halo's and the CQ1) as I don't have that squeeze on my head. Otherwise I'd say a bose or a lightspeed from @pigpenracing . I also personally stay away from DC's as we use them at work and I'm having to fix a few everyday...granted they are heavily used. I bought a really cheap ANR to learn to fly in and they sucked and broke so I'd say stay away from really cheap. But that's me.

Eric Stoltz and GeorgeC like this.
  3. CMongoose

CMongoose Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    CMongoose
    I'd stay with a cheap passive headset to get started and spend the $500-1000 on your training instead.

Personally I've owned two David Clark passives in the past and have never had to do anything to them other than update the ear seals in one due to age.

steviedeviant likes this.
  4. Chesterspal

Chesterspal Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Chesterspal
    When I took lessons years ago we never used them.

Are they mandatory for training now? I'd much prefer not to use them unless the CFI forces the issue, which he may not, if we can both each each other.

5. Kansas Flyer

Kansas Flyer Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    James
    There are a lot of old time pilots that never used headsets that don't hear so good anymore.

I have a couple of Kore passive headsets that I bought off of Amazon for $160 apiece. They're good quality and comfortable for a good price. I really like them and everyone I know that uses them does as well.

Skyrys62 and iflyvfr like this.
  6. tsts4

tsts4 Cleared for Takeoff

Display name:
    Auburntsts
    No, but most aircraft no longer have a handheld mic or speakers so expect to buy or rent a headset--you'll be doing your ears a favor. Having done it both ways back in the day, today there's no way I'd not use a headset even if a plane with a mic/speaker was available.

iflyvfr likes this.
  7. pigpenracing

pigpenracing En-Route

Display name:
    pigpen
    I can hook you up with a like New Lightspeed. I have several styles and if you are on a budget the Sierra is fabulous. I do those for $525 shipped.

woodchucker and GeorgeC like this.
  8. busa2r

busa2r Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    busa2r
    I have a set of noise cancelling Bluetooth Sennheiser which are excellent and then got a set of Clarity Aloft with Bluetooth Have not touched the Sennheiser since

Eric Stoltz likes this.
  9. EdFred

EdFred Taxi to Parking

Display name:
    Ed Frederick
    If you aren't going to use headsets, you might as well remove the windscreen so you can get the full experience of freedom that flying can provide.

LB 408A, woodchucker and ircphoenix like this.
  10. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    What's the objection? And, whachew flying?

11. Chesterspal

Chesterspal Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Chesterspal
    Well, it was never a problem back in 1986 when I started taking lessons. The C150 I'm looking at purchasing still has the original stick mic but might be equipped with headphone jacks for two people. I know there were two jacks on the far left side but those may be just for the pilot.

Suppose I can ask my CFI it he has his own... then I only need to buy one set for me.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  12. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Billy
    Headsets are cheap. Hearing aides are very expensive.

I have used headsets since day one. After 27 years I have a little hearing loss in a certain range.

(mostly my wife's voice range)

LB 408A, woodchucker, NoHeat and 2 others like this.
  13. Tom-D

Tom-D Taxi to Parking

Display name:
    Tom-D
    The best noise canceling ones you can afford.

They are expensive, but so are hearing aids.

Zeldman, NordicDave and Ghery like this.
  14. Chesterspal

Chesterspal Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Chesterspal
    Looked at the Kore for $170 on Amazon. Very good reviews. Will see about getting some of those when the time comes.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated, as always.

15. jordane93

jordane93 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Jordan
    Buy your last headset first. Pony up for nice noise canceling one. Your hearing is irreplaceable.

16. tsts4

tsts4 Cleared for Takeoff

Display name:
    Auburntsts
    Well a lot has changed since 1986 (got my PP that year flying a C-152). You can bet your CFI has his own headset -- these days headset usage is probably near 100%. I don't understand your reluctance. If it's cost then you're into the wrong hobby. Just wait until you're an aircraft owner -- the cost of a good ANR headset will be trivial in comparison.

Eric Stoltz likes this.
  17. NordicDave

NordicDave Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    NordicDave
    Training is expensive. This is the last place to skimp. Go buy a set of Zulu 3's or BOSE A20's. While learning to fly, you'll appreciate the quiet while learning all the jargon and fast talking controllers. These headset are much more comfortable, especially if hearing glasses due to reduced clamping pressure.

Next 3 posts are guys who trained with the cabin speaker and handheld mic; or became fighter pilots with cheap headsets.

Topper and Eric Stoltz like this.
  18. tmyers

tmyers En-Route

Display name:
    Tim Myers
    I have a set of QT's I might be convinced to sell.

19. flybill

flybill Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Flybill
    DC One x is a great headset. Doesn’t clamp your head like the older stuff.

Bose is nice also

It’s all preference. Get a good headset if you take more than a couple lessons and have intentions of truly becoming a pilot. You will use the equipment every time you fly. It’s a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.

NordicDave and Eric Stoltz like this.
  20. Datadriver

Datadriver Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Datadriver
    Let's be honest. Most people quit pilot training so statistically the odds are you also will be one of them. Skimp on the headphones, then pour $ into a good pair later if it turns out you have the flying pathogen like most of the other infected here;)

Skyrys62 likes this.
  21. AKBill

AKBill En-Route

Display name:
    AKBill
    Wondering why folks don't talk about Avcom head sets. I still have my original passive set from 1995. My wife uses it and does not complain about it. I can't remember doing anything to it but ear seals, mic cover and cloth covers over the ear seals. I think they a good bang for buck.

edit; my old Avcom has a push to talk built into the ear muff. It's a good back up for your PPT switch

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    jsstevens likes this.
  22. Sinistar

Sinistar En-Route

Display name:
    Brad
    Any instructor will bring their own headset so just buy for yourself.

If you can afford active noise reduction (ANR) I would suggest buying a set from @pigpenracing. If you end up not finishing lessons you can probably sell them within $100 of what you paid. If you complete your lessons you've just bought your last headset first. If you can't afford the $525 up front then pick up a old used set of David Clarks' and spend about $16 on the new really cushy ear cushions.

My vote is buy the Lightspeed Zulu 3's from @pigpenracing...they are quite nice and love the cord and controller too.

LB 408A and pigpenracing like this.
  23. simtech

simtech En-Route

Display name:
    Simtech
    Yep I have a pair of bose X and lightspeed Sierra and I feel the CQ1, which I like better than my halo's , are just as quiet and more comfy to wear than the bose and lightspeeds. My wife uses the halo's and I use the CQ1's and pax get relegated to the bose and lightspeeds. Hahaha all are great headsets though don't get me wrong

24. rk911

rk911 Line Up and Wait PoA Supporter

Display name:
    rk911
    agree. find a good, used passive David Clark. put the $ saved towards your training.

25. ateamer

ateamer Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    ateamer
    Buy a great headset and take good care of it. If you don’t stick with flying, you’ll be able to it without taking too much of a loss. But more likely, you’ll complete training. If you buy a cheap headset, you’ll be upgrading quickly.

Buy once, cry once.

Oh, and not using a headset is foolish.

26. Greenhead

Greenhead Pre-takeoff checklist

Nflightmic with Ebay QC25s. Purchased two for passengers and find myself wearing this set over the Bose A20s. Lighter weight and comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

27. murphey

murphey Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    murphey
    No one can tell you definitively what headset to buy. Everything depends on your comfort and preference. Most of the major manufacturers and retailers offer a 30 day tryout period. Try out 2-3 of them, see which you like best, then buy that one. Don't go cheap. It's your hearing and health. Sitting in a noisy airplane for hours really is tiring and the impact of sound is part of it.

28. Chesterspal

Chesterspal Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Chesterspal
    First, for those that expect me to quit...

1) Did that 33 years ago. Got to solo and dual-cross country and had to stop for business reasons. This time, at 65, I expect to complete what I started.

2) I am buying a small two-seater plane or at least I'm in the process of doing so.

BTW: I'm not reluctant to purchase a set but from these replies it's obvious there are many good ones to choose from.

Wish there was a store one could go to try all these out. Any aviation stores in NY like a B&H Photo-type place that sells this stuff?

As suggested, might be best to buy a used DC or similar to train with. As I meet other pilots I can see what they have and go from there.

Eric Stoltz likes this.
  29. AKBill

AKBill En-Route

Display name:
    AKBill
    Good luck on your PPL. Sounds like you are committed to complete a dream you started 33 years ago. I would get you medical before you get to far into the training. After that basic med works. Do you still have your old logbook? Some of that time may help in finishing your certificate.

I know a fellow with a C150. Lands on beaches and deer hunts here in SE AK, works for him.

30. chemgeek

chemgeek Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    chemgeek
    If you value your hearing, get a good pair of headsets. ANR headsets are boss. Bose and LIghtspeed both make popular, quality models. For passives, it's hard to beat the DC H10-13.4 for durability and service. But really, once you go ANR you will never go back.

31. cowman

cowman En-Route PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Cowman
    I bought a Bose A20 for my first headset. Later I got a Lightspeed Zulu2 for my wife.... in hindsight I'd have just got the Zulu2 for myself as it's just as good of a product and cheaper than the A20. For long cross country flying the noise canceling models are the way to go.

LB 408A likes this.
  32. TommyG

TommyG Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Tom
    Pick up some good David Clark’s for a few hundred dollars, then when you get your license upgrade to Bose or something nicer. Reason I say is, I have seen many new student pilots spend $1200 on a pair of Bose, and the. Stop flying for whatever reason. Also the money you save now on the David Clark, can be a few hours of flight time.

33. jsstevens

jsstevens Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display name:
    jsstevens
    The closest I’ve seen to the stores is going to a major fly in like Oshkosh or Sun n Fun. The vendors all bring stuff and you can at least try for a couple of minutes.

Let me add here: how a headset fits you is a critical factor. David Clark makes a wonderful passive headset but I can’t wear them for more than a 1/2 hour before it kills my head. There’s a ton of folks who’ve recommended various things. I use AVCOMM passives when I trained. I’ve got some old Telex ANRs that I bought off eBay and use now. But be prepared to try in the plane for extended flights before being sure.

34. Eric Stoltz

Eric Stoltz Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    ES
    I wish there was a B&H in AK. Googlefoo has turned up https://www.readingair.com/Pilot_Shop which isn't NY, but looks close-ish. (Close for my AK comparisons, at least you can drive there from there) And this place: http://richmorflightschool.com/pilot-shop. Great thing about the expensive Boze and Litespeeds is that they can be quickly Ebay'd for somewhat the same as what you bought them for.

I'm very happy with my Uflymic QC15, ClarityAloft, DC Pro-x, and A20, and the 1991 model DC 13.10. They all have their applications, this airplane or that, her head or mine. I thought that I'd just get rid of one once I found another, but I guess it didn't work out that way. I wore out a few cheapies back in the FI days, and I still have them for some reason or another. Don't tell anyone that.