Headset needed

And there's me, hanging out in the corner by myself with my Softcomm C-90 headsets. ANR. Paid less than $300 on line for the second pair for my wife when I got my PPL in 2001. Have had exactly ZERO problems with either pair. They work great. And I get the feeling on these boards that I'm the only customer they ever had, although I know that can't be right. :D

Heck, I've still got the Soft Coms I stared flying with, they still work, they suck, but they still work...:D

I tried the X11, an ANR from DC (I think that's the model number) at Oshkosh last year. I was extremely unimpressed by the noise reduction of it.

DC really seems to have missed the target with its ANR headsets. I'm not really sure why. The X11 would have been my next headset if it didn't perform so poorly.

I agree about the X11. It is a real snoozer. But I think the rest of the DC 'ENC' works fine. I compared my Zulus to my DC 13XLs and cannot tell the difference for their total attenuation.

What don't you like about the Zulu, Scott? I've been very tempted by the Zulu (my ears are too small for the Mach 1, I fear), but find it hard to justify spending the money when my SoloCs are still working. As long as they don't totally suck, I might be able to help you part with the Zulus.
I don't find them as comfortable as the DCs. But the big thing is that the Zulus will not work with the marine radio in my plane. So I have to keep switching back to the DCs. With that in mind the only thing that is different is then the bluetooth. Which I really do not use very often. I thought it would be nicer to get my IFR clearance, it is, but I would rather have a headset that does it all. I have not made up my mind yet but I am leaning towards selling them.

I have to say this post is taking a scary turn.
The OP comes on looking for something cheap so that he can fly, and maybe even get a decent deal off somebody on the board getting rid of their 'sets, and pretty soon people are scaring him off declaring he NEEDS a pair of $325 dollar headsets. BS.

Well, since someone sent him a set of freebies, I think that we have already satisfied the basis of the OP. However, I would hazard to say that if they were not freebies, they probably wouldn't be worth buying, I don't know of a set out there under $250 that are worth spending money on, so in a sense, I think the collective was attempting to save him long run money by steering him away from spending money twice. I can even make an arguement for the Clarity Aloft set saving him long run money in that by being hands down more comfortable and clear in communications than any headvise set, that by eliminating the distraction of discomfort and the straining to hear, one can concentrate more thoroughly on learning saving on instructional time, making the higher purchase cost a value.

The manufacturer and I both came to the conclusion that it had something to do with incompatibility between the headset and this particular airplane's intercom system.
Was it a Sigtronics intercom? If so, I'm guessing it was an impedance mismatch.

Okay, I've been reading this thread, debating on whether or not to throw my $0.02 in. Those who know me know that I never miss an opportunity to share my opinion, so here it is.

I presently own two headsets, a PNR set of DC's that I bought for $295 when I first started my training, and a set of Bose X's that were given to me as a gift when I got my PPL. Both work great, and I love the ANR in the Bose (my girlfriend has even joked about grabbing them from my flight bag at night to battle my snoring when I forget to put one of those Breathe Right strips on - those things have saved my relationship). Now, I've had the opportunity to try several other types as well (my mentor has quite a collection).

I forget the brand, but I tried one set of his that was an in-ear ANR headset. Maybe I couldn't get a proper fit or something, but although it was fine on the ground, once I applied take-off power and was climbing out I couldn't hear the radio or the intercom. Fortunately, that was a dual flight with my CFI and I had him take the controls while I grabbed my trusty DC's out of my flight bag. I've tried a couple sets of his Lightspeed ANR's, and I really didn't notice much of a reduction, and those cups were so huge I kept banging them on the window of his Bonanza. Also, while he was on a hiatus from flying while recovering from back surgery, he let me borrow his DC X11's for a while. Those were great compared to my PNR DC's! But, now that I use the Bose, they weren't nearly as good.

Besides being expensive, the biggest criticism I hear about DC's is that they are "head vises", and clamp on really tight. I have a very large melon (to the point that when I buy new sunglasses, I have to search for quite a while to find a pair that fit me right) and I've never had an issue with them being so tight as to cause discomfort, even on my longer X-C flights. I do know that they seal tight because (at the risk of grossing people out) there were times after practicing Touch n Goes or low airwork in the summer I would take them off and sweat would just pour out of them.

About a month ago, I took husband-and-wife friends of mine for a $100 hamburger. On the first leg, the wife sat in the right seat and used my DC's, the husband sat in the back and used a POS ASA rental set from the FBO. They switched seats and thus used the other headset on the way back. After we landed, they both said that they liked my DC's much better.

The bottom line is that you could probably get a decent set for <$295, but don't just go for the cheapest out there, because there is definitely a difference in quality. Also, whatever you get, make sure that it has a flexible "gooseneck" style microphone booom and not an articulating wire one. The screws at the articulations get loose and the mic keeps falling away from your mouth until you can find a small screwdriver to tighten them again. This isn't an issue with the goosenecks.

And now for a (somewhat) related story:

Last month at the museum, the Wings & Wheels theme was Cessna Day. One of our board members brought his C210RG in for the day. I didn't notice it when he came in, but when he left, I noticed that he didn't use a headset. He had a boom microphone that came down from the roof that he positioned in front of his mouth, and I guess he just used the cabin speaker. I had never seen anyone do that before. I also noticed that he didn't put any kind of earplugs in. Well, we were monitoring tower on a scanner (like we always do for these events so we know when someone is going to be parking on our ramp), and he responded promptly and you could hear him clearly while he was on the ground. As soon as he took off, the tower had to give him every call twice before he responded, then when he responded it was, "Say again, please." But, that was barely readable because you heard so much of his engine noise broadcast over the frequency too! It kind of scared me, to be honest.

...PJ's Headset Comparisons...

That's awesome that you have a chance to actually TRY so many different types of headsets. It's one thing to read reviews, but it's another to actually get to try them out yourself. Thanks for sharing your insights.

One thing about the in-ear sets: They do provide different sized foam plugs to snap on-and-off easily. Just something to think about if you get a chance to try them again. ;)

While I haven't had sweat "pour out of them" after flying, my Telex ANR's are usually sweaty after flying with them in the summer, but they're not quite as 'clampy' as the few pairs of DC's I've flown with. I think the foam vs gel ear cups make a big difference in that regard -- I'll take gel over foam any day!

That's awesome that you have a chance to actually TRY so many different types of headsets. It's one thing to read reviews, but it's another to actually get to try them out yourself. Thanks for sharing your insights.

One thing about the in-ear sets: They do provide different sized foam plugs to snap on-and-off easily. Just something to think about if you get a chance to try them again. ;)
I second the thanks! I'll point out another thing about the in-ear sets, though. To the best of my knowledge, NONE of them are ANR, they're all strictly passive. They get their noise reduction by physically blocking the sound from entering the ear canal. I know this is true for the Clarity Aloft and the Mach 1. Nonetheless, they do claim noise attenuation on par with the ANR vice grip sets and much better than the PNR vice grip sets.

And now for a (somewhat) related story:

Last month at the museum, the Wings & Wheels theme was Cessna Day. One of our board members brought his C210RG in for the day. I didn't notice it when he came in, but when he left, I noticed that he didn't use a headset. He had a boom microphone that came down from the roof that he positioned in front of his mouth, and I guess he just used the cabin speaker. I had never seen anyone do that before. I also noticed that he didn't put any kind of earplugs in. Well, we were monitoring tower on a scanner (like we always do for these events so we know when someone is going to be parking on our ramp), and he responded promptly and you could hear him clearly while he was on the ground. As soon as he took off, the tower had to give him every call twice before he responded, then when he responded it was, "Say again, please." But, that was barely readable because you heard so much of his engine noise broadcast over the frequency too! It kind of scared me, to be honest.
I don't know how to tell ya Junior, but THAT was how it worked in my lifetime. As in, when I flew with my brother in a Bellanca Viking out of Midway, prolly in the late 1970's. Take a look at Sky King, for example, although it was probably slightly less of a problem win a twin.

Some of the mics were noise canceling where you had to hold it right against your lip - they even have a lip bar on them. You see that in some WW II era movies.

Ron and others can let us know when civilians started using headsets.

Come to think of it those headsets they had on WW II planes probably didn't block much noise either.

WHAT??????

I second the thanks! I'll point out another thing about the in-ear sets, though. To the best of my knowledge, NONE of them are ANR, they're all strictly passive. They get their noise reduction by physically blocking the sound from entering the ear canal. I know this is true for the Clarity Aloft and the Mach 1. Nonetheless, they do claim noise attenuation on par with the ANR vice grip sets and much better than the PNR vice grip sets.

Correct, none of the earbud systems I know of are ANR, and therefore require no batteries. I found when I was wearing the Bose that I wasn't able to get many of my sound cues (mostly low freq) that I seem to rely on when flying both for engine and airframe energy monitoring.

Last month at the museum, the Wings & Wheels theme was Cessna Day. One of our board members brought his C210RG in for the day. I didn't notice it when he came in, but when he left, I noticed that he didn't use a headset. He had a boom microphone that came down from the roof that he positioned in front of his mouth, and I guess he just used the cabin speaker. I had never seen anyone do that before.

I used to fly my Travel Air with a hand mic and cabin speaker, but that airplane was quiet.

I'm not really sure when headsets became common in civilian airplanes but I'm guessing in the early 1980s. I got my private in 1977 and we did not use headsets nor did any of the airplanes have intercoms. I was strongly encouraged to use earplugs by my primary instructor. In fact he said that he always wore earplugs to preserve his hearing and was going to turn up the radio so that he could hear it. Therefore, unless I wanted to get blasted by the radio I had to wear earplugs in self-defense. I'm glad he instilled this habit in me because I think I can still hear.

I bought my Lightspeeds via the best method possible: I went to Sporty's (yes, the real physical location at I69) and tried 'em all. (You can do the same at OSH, etc. I think it's the Gulf Coast/Pacific Coast Avionics booths.)

I ended up spending more than I'd originally intended, but the headset I thought I wanted didn't have ear cups that were quite big enough to be comfortable...

I'll take gel over foam any day!

...and also allowed me to see what the heck Lightspeed's "Comfor-Foam" was all about. It actually works very well.

BTW PJ, your head-banging in the Bo wasn't the fault of the Lightspeeds being wide, it was the fault of the Bo being narrow. :yes: ;)

IIRC, the set of in-ears that I was using did have ANR. I'm going to email my mentor and find out for sure and see what kind they are...

I don't know how to tell ya Junior, but THAT was how it worked in my lifetime. As in, when I flew with my brother in a Bellanca Viking out of Midway, prolly in the late 1970's. Take a look at Sky King, for example, although it was probably slightly less of a problem win a twin.

Some of the mics were noise canceling where you had to hold it right against your lip - they even have a lip bar on them. You see that in some WW II era movies.

Come to think of it those headsets they had on WW II planes probably didn't block much noise either.

WHAT??????

Mike, I guess I'm just one of these spoiled kids with all of this modern technology ;).

BTW PJ, your head-banging in the Bo wasn't the fault of the Lightspeeds being wide, it was the fault of the Bo being narrow. :yes: ;)

Kent, I see your point. Even when using my DC's or Bose, I have to slouch in the right seat of the Bo because the top of the headset will hit the ceiling. However, I haven't had the cups hit the side window like the Lightspeeds do.

IIRC, the set of in-ears that I was using did have ANR. I'm going to email my mentor and find out for sure and see what kind they are...
Please do and let us know. I certainly don't know about all of the headsets/earsets out there!
Kent, I see your point. Even when using my DC's or Bose, I have to slouch in the right seat of the Bo because the top of the headset will hit the ceiling. However, I haven't had the cups hit the side window like the Lightspeeds do.

That's been addressed with the new Lightspeed Zulu's. I agree, the Thirty-3Gs I have are almost as wide as I am!:D:rofl:

WHAT??????

My great uncle was a pilot and IP in WWII, P-47s, P-38s, P-51s and P-39s. After the war he started a flying service in So LA for the inshore oilfields with float planes (185s & 206s by the time I was old enough for a ride) he didn't wear headsets. He now wears hearing aids and a headset over them just to watch TV. Conversations with him leave me hoarse from yelling. When I first started flying his words to me were "GET A REALLY GOOD HEADSET AND ALWAYS WEAR THEM".:eek::eek: "OK uncle Lloyd, will do" Lot's of the old WWII pilots I know are similar.

My advice, once you figure out what you are looking for. Buy them online, you'll get a better price.

There are a bunch of reputable online stores like skygeek.com, spinnerspilotshop.com, and AviationLogs.com.

Most online shops carry the same stuff (David Clark, AvComm, Etc.). If you go with Lightspeed or Bose you'll be paying for their spiffy ad campaign, but they are both still a good product.

I have had my David Clarks for 16 years and have never taken good care of them. They have taken great care of me though.

ANR is a great feature, but unless you're flying all the time, it might not be worth the money.

I have heard the best headset for the money is ASA's HS-1.
http://www.asa2fly.com/AirClassics-HS-1-Headset-P24_product1.aspx

I have heard the best headset, period, is the david clark X11 (but it hums if you have windshield heat in a 737...)

You can find those at any of those online shops at a much better price too.

Good Luck.

I have heard the best headset, period, is the david clark X11 (but it hums if you have windshield heat in a 737...)
i like David Clark a lot. I own two of them and love my H10-13XL. But I have not ever heard anything good about the X11. My own limited experience with them left me underwhelmed as well.

You were probably wearing the X11 when you heard that, because you didn't hear it correctly. I haven't heard ANYONE say that! I tried it at OSH last year and literally had to ask if the ANR was turned on.

Back