Headset chin strap

biskeyboy

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
biskeyboy
Unless I hallucinated it, there is a chin strap on the market to secure your headset in inverted flight. I'd like to avoid the cloth helmet if possible. Had a set of bose ANRs fly off in an inverted spin today (low clamp pressure) and I'd prefer not to repeat that.

I'd be tempted to take up a collection to pay for that sumbitch if you'll promise to post of picture when you're wearing it. All I can conjure up is a dog with one of those muzzle leashes. :rofl:

Unless I hallucinated it, there is a chin strap on the market to secure your headset in inverted flight. I'd like to avoid the cloth helmet if possible. Had a set of bose ANRs fly off in an inverted spin today (low clamp pressure) and I'd prefer not to repeat that.

On another forum:

"Aerobatics - Principles and Practice" by David Robson, who, on the subject of headset security, recommends that "a cat's collar (it has an elasticised segment) can be attached to a headset and functions well as a chin-strap

So Wayne was on to something.

that's a great idea. I'll have to figure out how to stick it to the headset. Can't decide on the pink one with inset rhinestones or the heavy leather one with the iron studs. :yikes:

David Clark makes a velcro strap for their headsets, but it is stiff, broad, and uncomfortable. Best luck I have had is with a hockey helmet strap that I looped through some REI type nylon cord. It really didn't look too bad, and the straps were really mostly useful when doing negative g, anyway. They were cheap, strong, and nearly disposable.

You don't have duct tape available???

You don't have duct tape available???

haha.
I took the cat collar suggeston. Cut it into a strap, velcroed it onto the ear cups. It's just a simple (red) adjustable band with the clasp in the center...should work well. We'll see if it holds. thanks.

I was going to suggest some nice ribbon... you then could have different colors to match whatever you want :D .....

Hmmm, now, I'm pondering how I'll deal with that...
let us know if the cat collar works and post a picture of how it's attached to the headset :yesnod:

Of course, if you have your headset secured to your head then you'll have to add - "undo buckle" to your bailout practice routine

or maybe it would just be "rip velcro off side"..... easier than fiddling w/ a buckle

On another forum:

"Aerobatics - Principles and Practice" by David Robson, who, on the subject of headset security, recommends that "a cat's collar (it has an elasticised segment) can be attached to a headset and functions well as a chin-strap

So Wayne was on to something.

And if you get the right collar you won't have to worry about fleas and ticks for 3 months!!! :rofl:

-Skip

Do you have a tinkly bell to hang off the strap??

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

When I flew with Bobby Younkin, we used giant rubber bands attached to the David Clarks.

I should have had one to awaken the Bruins in the waning moments. Congratulations! It was a terrific year. But Boston "got even" to a degree on the parquet floor. Bring on Orlando!

HR

I should have had one to awaken the Bruins in the waning moments. Congratulations! It was a terrific year. But Boston "got even" to a degree on the parquet floor. Bring on Orlando!

HR

Be careful what you ask for! Orlando is HOT.

Just go to a hardware store and by a roll of 5/8" - 3/4" wide velcro tape. Cut a couple of inch long or so pieces off of the hard loop side and stick them on the outside of the ear cups. Then take a proper length of the soft side (about 16 - 18" or so) and double it. Stick two lengths of the soft side together back to back making a strap that is soft on both sides. Put the headset on and stick the strap on adjusting until it's tight. Works like a charm and you didn't have to spend aviation sized dollars to get 'er done.

Just go to a hardware store and by a roll of 5/8" - 3/4" wide velcro tape. Cut a couple of inch long or so pieces off of the hard loop side and stick them on the outside of the ear cups. Then take a proper length of the soft side (about 16 - 18" or so) and double it. Stick two lengths of the soft side together back to back making a strap that is soft on both sides. Put the headset on and stick the strap on adjusting until it's tight. Works like a charm and you didn't have to spend aviation sized dollars to get 'er done.

thanks Pitts driver. After I made one with a cat collar, I decided the buckle wasn't as good as velcro (and was a little uncomfortable under my chin) and I found some semi-elastic velcro bands that allowed me to do essentially what you suggested. I can't wait to try it out. Seems like it should be good to far more neg G's than the wings.

A "leash" used to keep your sunglasses on (or hangin' from your neck) works well too. The one(s) I use are cloth and have a wooden slide on it...
Tie one end to each earcup...if your're not doing acro you can put the leash behind your head/neck.

Lots of styles, colors (even sequines if you just gotta' have em'):eek: and sizes at the sunglass section of Wally World.

YMMV;
Chris

When I flew with Bobby Younkin, we used giant rubber bands attached to the David Clarks.
You didn't happen to be with Bobby Younkin when he came to the Dexter, Mo. Airshows during the 1980's. He gave me my check out for ground up aerobatics . Great man!!!

You didn't happen to be with Bobby Younkin when he came to the Dexter, Mo. Airshows during the 1980's.
No, I didn't know him back then. I flew down to Siloam Springs in the fall of 2005 and had a lesson with him there in his SuperD.

He gave me my check out for ground up aerobatics . Great man!!!
Yes, he was. :) I have never flown with anyone who was more "one with an airplane" than he was. He spent a lot of time with me that day and was very kind, patient, and helpful. He was going to give me more lessons when his schedule allowed, but unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to fly together again.

So, are you still doing aerobatics? Where do you fly out of?

For a very quick fix paracord works great, and thick enough to not be uncomfortable. At a dime a foot, it's hard to beat the price too!

I couldda used a chin strap last weekend.

I wear my Pilot 1776 when mowing - the one with the battery in the earcup, which works great - and they often slide off.

The disaster was when I took of with them on the hood of the tractor while we were clearing the deck. They hit the ground and of course I ran over them with the front wheels - thankfully not the mower deck. At least my neighbor and I rested the temptation to reach down while the blades where spinning.

I'm sure Pilot will fix them, but I'm such a dumass. I'll take these suggestions to make a strap. I certainly have plenty of too-much-stuff to make one from

Back