He just LEFT?

Machias is a tough short, obstructed strip because it's crowned in the middle (and I mean a LOT of crown). the 26 feet difference over the 2909 feet do NOT tell the whole story. It's a perfect strip to have two guys collide departing 18 and 36 simultaneously. If you don't touch in the first 250 feet, you will be heavily braking going downhill....either direction. I used to live in Maine......ask me how I know that....

The strip is unattended. Had he been injured, there is a good chance he would have died there.

Last edited:
How very interesting... those "orange boxes" sure look like ELT's!!! One in a tree, and one on the roof of the plane... He sure wanted to be found...

How does an ELT get in a tree? And how many Pipers carry 2 of them on board...?

"There was an orange box sitting in a nearby tree and another orange box sitting on top of the plane."

And this absolutely has to be the most colorful description of a plane crash ever.... I wonder if the reporter moonlights as an interior decorator or a gardener... (maybe s/he is paid by the word...)

"beyond the red and blue runway lights, through tall grass and a patch of purple and pink lupines,"

Last edited:
Thank God he wasn't hurt.

How very interesting... those "orange boxes" sure look like ELT's!!! One in a tree, and one on the roof of the plane... He sure wanted to be found...

How does an ELT get in a tree? And how many Pipers carry 2 of them on board...?

And this absolutely has to be the most colorful description of a plane crash ever.... I wonder if the reporter moonlights as an interior decorator or a gardener... (maybe s/he is paid by the word...)

"beyond the red and blue runway lights, through tall grass and a patch of purple and pink lupines,"

One ELT (dunno how or why he removed it from the plane) and one PLB? My PLB is yellow.

Guy runs off the runway, survives, and then just leaves the plane and tells no one? I bet he was drunk or something....

A long time ago I watched a Beech Sport porpoise badly enough on a botched landing to collapse the nosegear. During the subsequent slide, the nosewheel caught fire. The pilot scrambled out of the plane, sprinted to the parking lot, climbed into his car and drove away. A lineman from the FBO and I put the fire out. Turns out the pilot was a student on his first solo and the instructor was watching from the FBO. AFaIK the student quit flying. I don't know what happened to the CFI.

Guy runs off the runway, survives, and then just leaves the plane and tells no one? I bet he was drunk or something....

http://www.bangordailynews.com/news/t/downeast.aspx?articleid=151465&zoneid=177
People showed up to investigate. Unattended airport. Lets think positive. Perhaps he left the airport to get to a phone to call it in, and get medical attention. It was obviously not a runway obstruction, where it ended up. That would be OK, right?

But then again, likely something else like drugs, alcohol, past due BFR, expired medical, wanted to report the plane stolen so not responsible, etc. etc. Thinking positive did not last very long.:D

A long time ago I watched a Beech Sport porpoise badly enough on a botched landing to collapse the nosegear. During the subsequent slide, the nosewheel caught fire. The pilot scrambled out of the plane, sprinted to the parking lot, climbed into his car and drove away. A lineman from the FBO and I put the fire out. Turns out the pilot was a student on his first solo and the instructor was watching from the FBO. AFaIK the student quit flying. I don't know what happened to the CFI.

The image of this really got me to LOL:yes: :rofl:

Ya, lets hang him. Since we all KNOW what the situation really was.
Quick get a rope!

So fast to judge with only the "all knowing" media report. Can't we just ONCE give the pilot the benefit of the doubt instead of playing Monday morning quarterback with NO facts?

Mark B

Ya, lets hang him. Since we all KNOW what the situation really was.
Quick get a rope!

So fast to judge with only the "all knowing" media report. Can't we just ONCE give the pilot the benefit of the doubt instead of playing Monday morning quarterback with NO facts?

Mark B

I doubt it:no:

Back