He BFRs me, he BFRs me not...

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I was hoping to do my BFR today! For the first time since I got my license, my BFR lapsed (10/31) before I had the confluence of time and funds to get it renewed.

I called the FBO yesterday to see if anybody could do my BFR on Saturday or Sunday, and was scheduled for today from 4pm to 7/7:30pm (get my night landings current too).

Then last night, at dinner with my wife, the scheduled instructor called to say he didn't know WHY they'd scheduled HIM, as he had marked that night off on the computer, but now of course the computer wasn't showing him as being 'off' but with me. He was very nice, said he'd make some calls and see who else might be available, I told him I was wide open all weekend and totally flexible on when I could fly this weekend. He promised to call me back by noon Saturday to let me know "the plan."

Well, noon passed, 1:00 came and I'd not heard, so I called back and spoke to the original scheduler (the one who put my name on the board), and HE said that I WAS (STILL) on the schedule, and that they'd talked after the CFI talked to me, and had decided he'd just do it anyway. He said I could smack the CFI for not calling to tell me.

Whoo-hoo! I get to fly today!!

Three minutes after I hang up, the phone rings again, this time the CFI, and HE tells me that the SCHEDULE GUY is wrong, that I'm NOT flying (sure enough, my cell phone texts me at that moment that it's been removed from the schedule) with him that night, and in fact he was over 250 miles away and couldn't fly per his original statement.

He said that one other CFI (Ben) might be able to fly tonight from 4:30 to 7:30 (the planes are available, it's finding a CFI that's tough!), but they were having trouble reaching him... they'd call me if Ben can fly... if I don't hear anything, then I'm NOT flying.

(sigh)... and I SO wanted to get this done today! This school is closed on Sundays and after 5pm weekdays (?!??!) so that makes it a bit tougher. Some of the instructors WILL work those hours, if you pre-arrange it with them, but the office and building are closed.

I'm curious - what's the downside if it lapses, besides not being able to fly?

My first BFR is due by 12/31, and I'm wondering what would happen if weather / plane availability / CFI availability prevents it from getting it done by then.

We just lost our chief instructor to an airport management job, and the only other full time instructor to Dornier jet flying - the ranks are getting thin.

I'm curious - what's the downside if it lapses, besides not being able to fly?

My first BFR is due by 12/31, and I'm wondering what would happen if weather / plane availability / CFI availability prevents it from getting it done by then.

We just lost our chief instructor to an airport management job, and the only other full time instructor to Dornier jet flying - the ranks are getting thin.

Other than your pilot liscense self destructing in your wallet, nothing bad really. :goofy::goofy:

I'm curious - what's the downside if it lapses, besides not being able to fly? ...

Nuttin. You can even still fly, just not as solo PIC.

Rathole: Do you log PIC when you fly dual with a CFI? I think so.

You could start the Wings certificate by taking the 3 courses online, but as posted before it's a lot easier to go with a BFR.

Nuttin. You can even still fly, just not as solo PIC.

Rathole: Do you log PIC when you fly dual with a CFI? I think so.

You could start the Wings certificate by taking the 3 courses online, but as posted before it's a lot easier to go with a BFR.

Just to clarify this "you can even still fly, just not as solo PIC." You can't fly at acting PIC, period. If you have another pilot who can act as PIC, you can log PIC as sole manipulator of the controls. Solo or not (carrying passengers), you're no longer legal to ACT as the pilot-in-command of an airplane.

And yes, you LOG PIC when flying dual with a CFI for the BFR, as sole manipulator of the controls. The CFI/II gets to log PIC automatically, per the CFRs, whenever giving instruction.

I SO wanted to get this done today! This school is closed on Sundays and after 5pm weekdays (?!??!)

Is there only 1 FBO in the Ft. Worth area?

If you went somewhere else (more accomodating), could you not get a checkout at the same time and have another fleet of aircraft at your disposal?:yes:

Is there only 1 FBO in the Ft. Worth area?

If you went somewhere else (more accomodating), could you not get a checkout at the same time and have another fleet of aircraft at your disposal?:yes:

No, there's more than one FBO around here... but I won't rent just anywhere... maintenance standards, etc. are important to me, and this outfit excels in that regard. Plus, I have limited flying funds right now, and can't keep up with two FBO's currency requirements (they seem to have a "must rent/fly OUR planes xx hours every xx months or fly with an instructor to get current" requirement, above and beyond the FAA's requirement).

Therefore, I rent from this place, and scheduling usually doesn't have these snafus there. Fortunately, one of the POA board members could tell from the one name I dropped which outfit I fly with, and knows one of the instructors there that has a more flexible schedule. He called that instructor, got permission to give me his direct email, and we're all set for next Saturday afternoon, 3pm to 7pm. Going to get my BFR, night currency, and instrument currency all reset. Should be a challenging, busy and rewarding flight!!

Back