Hawkeye down in Arabian Sea

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
http://www.navytimes.com/news/2010/03/navy_hawkeye_crash_033110w/

"Engine oil leak" doesn't make sense to me. The (older) Hawkeyes flew just fine single engine, and the newer models have had horsepower and now or soon 6 blade prop upgrades. Of course, they've gained significant weight in the years since I flew. (looking down ... oops, guess they're not the only thing that has) ...

Anyway, 1 crewman still missing. Bailout on a Hawkeye is a rare, rare event.

that's true ... altho if I recall correctly (and that's been a long time ago) the props were auto-feather ... loss of oil/hydraulic pressure and they "should" auto-feather?

Could also explain the 1 crewman missing ... in single engine ops with the other not in feather, you're gonna get one hell of a ride once the PIC lets go of the controls and tries to fight his way back to the main hatch. It's a very tight fit thru the equipment compartment when you're wearing your chute and seat pan - not easy even in straight and level...

George was infamously unreliable back in the older models, but don't know if it could hold anywhere near straight flight in those conditions long enough for the PIC to get out.

Last edited:
got this today from a friend of mine - retired E2/C2 pilot
----------------------------------------------------------
I haven't heard anything about this but a windmilling prop would prevent a trap or barricade due to vmc issues. Auto fx was used in approach configuration. It had to be armed, throttle greater than 75 degrees coordinator and loss of thrust on engine and I think weight on wheels was also required. Do you know how long it has been since I even thought about this????

Controlled bailout was last resort and I can only believe that they were experiencing control issues...ie, VMC. They could also have had a pitchlock. But I think that was with the old prop config...never flew the new 8 bladed prop.
----------------------------------------------------------

Back