Hawaii next stop

I love seeing these flights. Some will ho hum that its no big deal, but I disagree!

He's going out the hard way too!

oh man. 13 hours and 48 minutes of terror or boredom. I hope the pilot is making good money if it's a ferry flight.

granted it's a twin, but it seems like taking a Twin Star on a flight like that with no outs might not be the best idea... maybe in a couple years, but so soon after the Twin Start came out?

i think that right after the twin star was released in Austria one was flown across the atlantic for Oshkosh.

I think it'd be fun.

i think that right after the twin star was released in Austria one was flown across the atlantic for Oshkosh.

I think it'd be fun.

I guess that makes sense... they gotta get them out of Austria somehow, might as well fly it out.

Version 1.0 for me? No thanks, I'll wait a few years...

i dunno steve, i havent heard of any reliability problems with the diesel engines. save for the FADEC issue associated with dead battery, i havent heard of any mechanical problems on the engines.

not a single DA-42 on the NTSB website. I know I know that doesnt mean there werent any engine failures.

i dunno steve, i havent heard of any reliability problems with the diesel engines. save for the FADEC issue associated with dead battery, i havent heard of any mechanical problems on the engines.

I agree... maybe I'm just more risk averse than most, but assuming I had the cash (and the Multie-engine rating), I would hold off on buying one for a few years to make sure there we no "un-documented features"...

IIRC, the FADEC issue was a seriess of bad decisions on the part of the pilot including doing something that went against the POH...

My 5-year old daughter keeps telling me she is gonna buy me a Twin Star... but it hasn't happened yet :goofy:

you recall correctly on the FADEC.

in 1993 my grandpa bought an Artic Cat with Electronic Fuel Injection. Dad bought a carbureted. after that Grandpa went to Polaris. Dad loved his Cat. I know where your logic is coming from.

I still want a DA42

you recall correctly on the FADEC.

in 1993 my grandpa bought an Artic Cat with Electronic Fuel Injection. Dad bought a carbureted. after that Grandpa went to Polaris. Dad loved his Cat. I know where your logic is coming from.

I still want a DA42

me too... I'm just waiting for my daughter to buy it for me :D

I just wouldn't fly it to Hawaii on it's maiden voyage....

granted it's a twin, but it seems like taking a Twin Star on a flight like that with no outs might not be the best idea... maybe in a couple years, but so soon after the Twin Start came out?
Fortunately you weren't around when Lindy made his hop.

by the time lindbergh flew the spirit across the conus, it was a pretty proven design for long distance flying. and there was plenty of people who thought he was nuts.

Fortunately you weren't around when Lindy made his hop.

no doubt... I wouldn't classify myself as a trail-blazer when it comes to risking life and limb... like I said, maybe I'm more risk-averse than most...

by the time lindbergh flew the spirit across the conus, it was a pretty proven design for long distance flying.
Nuh uh. Charley danged near built this one off design himself because the boys at Ryan weren't building what he envisioned and he thought they were taking too long. He had a perceived deadline to adhere to (he thought if he delayed any longer someone else would beat him to Europe) so there was hardly anytime on the design when he flew into history.

yea, except for that whole trip across the country...if it could do that it could do the atlantic.

Don't confuse shorter over water with easier. Consider, for example, the time, distance, and cost to get a GA twin to the jump off point in AK.
All good points, but if it were me, rather than spend the extra 2-3 hours enroute, I'd much rather spend the extra time and cost to take the plane up to Kodiak (over land and safety) and then down.

Its only about 15nm shorter, but the difference in winds makes all the difference in the world.

All good points, but if it were me, rather than spend the extra 2-3 hours enroute, I'd much rather spend the extra time and cost to take the plane up to Kodiak (over land and safety) and then down.

Its only about 15nm shorter, but the difference in winds makes all the difference in the world.
Having been in both regions, the water temp makes all the difference in the world...Gulf of AK vs East Pacific.

I love seeing these flights. Some will ho hum that its no big deal, but I disagree!

He's going out the hard way too!

And throttled way back... 140 knots! :eek:

I hope he brought a good book or something. And I wish I could understand the flight plan.

MQO GATES 3342 12500 3250 12730 3200
13000 3115 13230 3020 13500 2927 13730
DIALO 2730 14230 DEROK 2525 14730 DANKA
DUFFE MKK

What's the stuff between GATES and DANKA mean anyway? Are those lat/longs?

And throttled way back... 140 knots! :eek:

I hope he brought a good book or something. And I wish I could understand the flight plan.

MQO GATES 3342 12500 3250 12730 3200
13000 3115 13230 3020 13500 2927 13730
DIALO 2730 14230 DEROK 2525 14730 DANKA
DUFFE MKK

What's the stuff between GATES and DANKA mean anyway? Are those lat/longs?
MQO is a VORTAC. GATES is a fix way out there past W-airspace....As are the other names. The numbers sorta look like Long/Lat. MQO is approx 120*46' 35*20'.

KWVI Watsonville aprt is approx 121*45' 36*55'.

Last edited:
Back