Having a Miss

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
What does it sound like? What is the range of flyability afterwards (zero to nearly fine)? What is the proper course of action depending on the circumstances?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like someone you don't want your wife to find out about.

Based on the initial question, not enough info to answer.

Depends largely on what's causing it. Vapor lock, typically NBFD. Bad mags, could be cause for grounding.

Is a miss as evident as a miss in any engine? Is it often just a rhythmic diminishing break in power or do you have to look/listen for other evidence?

A miss is what happens when you don't hit the target. :dunno:

All engines miss once in a while.

Care to elaborate? :dunno:

A miss is what happens when you don't hit the target. :dunno:

All engines miss once in a while.

Care to elaborate? :dunno:

OK, let's hypothetically say off and on misses, like sputtering. You've checked that you haven't flooded the engine nor over-leaned it.

OK, let's hypothetically say off and on misses, like sputtering. You've checked that you haven't flooded the engine nor over-leaned it.

Check individual mags.

Are you on the ground? In the air? What's the frequency of said sputtering? What does the engine analyzer display?

I had an issue like that. CHT low, EGT high on one cylinder - the other five all read normal. Sputtered more when I grounded one mag. Came to the conclusion it was a fouled plug on #1, bottom side. I flew it back the 20 minutes to home base.

Last edited:
You're screwed. All of the witness reports from NTSB accident reports include sputtering engines.

My engine was missing for a while, but I found it again.

Bad mags.

Water in the fuel

Carburetor / intake manifold problems.

Sticky valves.

or flying over open water, or over woods at night

It's amazing how wonky all the gauges get when you do that!

All of the sudden, the oil pressure seems low and the CHT seems high, even when it hasn't changed....

Back