Have your airplane taxes gone up or down?

John Baker

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John Baker
In another thread, someone mentioned that the value of used GA aircraft has dropped by fifty percent since the start of the recession. I know I tried to sell my Warrior last year for half of what I paid for it, not counting the thousands I've put into it ,and I did not get one taker, or offer, just a few nibbles.

What I did notice was that my personal property tax on my plane did not only not drop, but went up a few dollars this year.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

In theory, since I had no offers, is not my airplane worth nothing now? Shouldn't my tax bill be about zero?

John

Property tax? In Maine we pay Excise tax plus registration fee. For years my 1971 Skyhawk has been at $63.90. $53.90 Excise tax, $10.00 registration fee. I'm told it
will remain that, permanently.

HR

John, you have to remember that you live in the fine State of CA. This bloody state is so freakin' broke that they are trying to get money anyway they can!

What I did notice was that my personal property tax on my plane did not only not drop, but went up a few dollars this year.

Pull the planes current valuation using Vref and dispute your counties assessment.

I used to live in Connecticut, you pay property tax on your car there :eek: (the latin words on the state seal translate to 'if it moves, or not, we tax it') . To make matters worse, the township used some silly blue-book valuation for my vehicle. I went to the tax assessors office, disputed the valuation and got the property tax adjusted.

Airplane Tax?

In another thread, someone mentioned that the value of used GA aircraft has dropped by fifty percent since the start of the recession.

Boy, not according to the listing prices of any 182's I've been eyeing. I'm starting to conclude I'll never own an aircraft. :sad:

Airplane Tax?

Personal property tax.

Couple of states charge it on aircraft. In VA, you may have twice the property tax on aircraft from one county to the next.

I declaired my 24 as unairworthy and do not pay the wa. state tax on it. that is how it works in Wa.

Well I haven't verified 100% yet, but it looks like Wisconsin hasn't changed for a bit. Sales tax, 5% of the sale price, unless the same or greater % was paid elsewhere. Then there is the annual / biennial registration. The registration depends on the gross weight of the plane. In my case, should I find a Cherokee 6, it would be 70$/yr.

Wisconsin Aviation DOT form (PDF)

So I guess Wisconsin treats planes the same as cars and bikes. Kind of nice actually. Probably has something to do with EAA ;)

Even in the terminally depressed state of Michigan we don't have an airplane tax. Not as a recurring yearly tax, anyway. They rip us off once per airplane: the year you buy it, there's a 6% use tax. There's also a minimal annual registration fee that's some percentage of your max gross weight. For my Cardinal it works out to $22, which is a lot less than I pay on my car.

In Illinois we pay a use tax when acquiring the plane and then only a biennial registration fee of $20. I have not seen nor heard of the registration fee increasing at all.

Taxachusetts just has the use tax, which I paid back in '94.

And of course the annual registration ($165/year for my cherokee)

So, airplanes taxes have stayed the same this year

Indiana has a state registration fee of $10 and yearly excise tax based on gross weight. It still sucks but at least they don't have property taxes levied against planes, boats and cars yet.
Frank

I don't have the bill in front of me, but it is around $350.00 a year for my Warrior. I receive a form every year that asks for the purchase price, general condition of the exterior, interior, and overall appearance. They want a list of all avionics, when purchased, and the cost. ( An equipment list )

This is every year, they ask the same questions in the hope they can catch you lying I guess is the purpose. They probably get even more money from liars. I get this bill from the City of San Diego.

My Warrior, overall, is an average looking Warrior equipped with steam gages.

John

I don't have the bill in front of me, but it is around $350.00 a year for my Warrior. I receive a form every year that asks for the purchase price, general condition of the exterior, interior, and overall appearance. They want a list of all avionics, when purchased, and the cost. ( An equipment list )

This is every year, they ask the same questions in the hope they can catch you lying I guess is the purpose. They probably get even more money from liars. I get this bill from the City of San Diego.

My Warrior, overall, is an average looking Warrior equipped with steam gages.

John

What price is the plane assessed at ?

The property tax bill on my home just went down because it is now assessed at a price close to what I paid for it and not at the moon-price it was assessed at during the 2007 tax assessment.

no taxes on aircraft older than 30 yrs in Kansas. Let me know if any of you need my address.

Sales tax here when you get it, annual registration based on the number of seats. $60 for me. Sometimes they send me a nice map.

Back