Have you figured it out yet?

Hard choice.... but I think I would have to say Tucker.... but don't tell Goulian I said that! (I'm still trying to get a ride!)

Patty still blows them all out of the water. She flys low and with such percision that it's hard to beat her.

I prefer Julie Clark. She has class and style, grace and beauty in the air.

My favorite this year at OSH was the Beech 18, followed by the Red Bull helo and the F22.

Of all time, Bob Hoover still gets the vote, and Franklin's Jet Waco is close behind. That thing was just sooooo cool.

Tucker is a better showman, Goulian is the better pilot. Tucker is a Rocket League pilot, Goulian is a Red Bull pilot.
Kind of like comparing Champ and IRL. I'll take IRL.

I have never flown with any of them, but I have flown with Diana, so she gets my vote.:D:D:D

My favorite this year at OSH was the Beech 18, followed by the Red Bull helo and the F22.

Of all time, Bob Hoover still gets the vote, and Franklin's Jet Waco is close behind. That thing was just sooooo cool.

What Tim said. :yes:

Out of the two choices I would have to vote for Shawn Tucker as the better "Airshow pilot" (read:) Showman.
Mike Goulian is a fantastic pilot and air racer...

I grew up on Art Scholl, Harold Krier, The Cole Brothers and Bob Hoover. The shows they did were more graceful and less repetitious than today's endless parade of Extra/MX/Edge 400HP-400*per second roll 50-snaps-on-the-45* downline shows prevelant at airshows today. And it's not that the planes are all the same; it's that the SHOWS in those planes are all the same. Radical 3F (Flip Flop Flying) is fun for one act, maybe two but past that I'm off somewhere to look at airplanes...!

My favorites still flying today are:
Svetlana Kapanina
Klye Franklin
Matt Younkin
Julie Clark
Greg Koonze
Shawn Tucker
Gary Boucher*

*( Gary is a local guy that does a low energy show in a stock Super D that is graceful and beautiful!)

All airshow pilots have my utmost respect. They are all true professionals.

I just like airshow acts that are more Ballet and less Rap...

JMPO
Chris

Last edited:
I cannot remember his name, but my favorite aerobatics display in recent memory was the guy doing acro at osh 2007 in a stock stearman. 220hp continental with no inverted fuel system. It wasn't flashy, and he didn't tumble all over the sky, but it was some of the best/ballsy stick and rudder flying i'd seen in a long time.

I cannot remember his name, but my favorite aerobatics display in recent memory was the guy doing acro at osh 2007 in a stock stearman. 220hp continental with no inverted fuel system. It wasn't flashy, and he didn't tumble all over the sky, but it was some of the best/ballsy stick and rudder flying i'd seen in a long time.

As I said above--that is John Mohr.

That was cool.

I think my favorite acro show at OSH this year was Matt Younkin in the Beech 18. That was AWESOME.

John Mohr

I'll give a third to that. I saw in at Oshkosh '05 and last week at Oceana...the guy can make that airplane do some crazy stuff. And his demo at Oshkosh was the first time I ever heard an entire airshow audience gasp during a routine.

I can't answer the question very well because I haven't seen an actual show of Goulian's yet, just video clips so I have to go with Tucker. My favorite performer that I have seen live has to be Jim Leroy. He flew an awesome show and just had alot of good energy to his show and himself. Plus there is something about biplanes I can not get over!!!

Back