Have you ever seen one of these...

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Significant Weather Prognostic Chart? Scott D., no fair for you to answer.

I don't mean the ones you studied to get your PPL. I mean the real ones that are updated daily. I found them here http://aviationweather.gov/data/products/swl/ll_12_4_cl_new.gif

If you have seen them, do you ever use them? If not, what do you use?

I was just wondering when the FAA questions will catch up with the real world. If you were designing new FAA questions about weather forecasting and reporting, what would you suggest?

Significant Weather Prognostic Chart? Scott D., no fair for you to answer.

I don't mean the ones you studied to get your PPL. I mean the real ones that are updated daily. I found them here http://aviationweather.gov/data/products/swl/ll_12_4_cl_new.gif

If you have seen them, do you ever use them? If not, what do you use?

I was just wondering when the FAA questions will catch up with the real world. If you were designing new FAA questions about weather forecasting and reporting, what would you suggest?

I'd include some questions about in-cockpit weather resources, such as satellite download products, since so many have them on their portable GPS's or built-in MFD's Use of the product: Tactical vs strategic? Age of data: Live vs. Aged? Make sure they understand those concepts.

We covered the Prog charts in prep for the IFR written. More recently, I used these and compared these against other Prog charts from other sources to see if a trend is established.

My tag line says it all about WX

They really NEED to teach the Rapid Update Cycle stuff. They needed that for the last year.

SkewT-LogP interp needs to be at least five questions on the IR exam. Failure of tactics gets you killed.

They really NEED to teach the Rapid Update Cycle stuff. They needed that for the last year.

SkewT-LogP interp needs to be at least five questions on the IR exam. Failure of tactics gets you killed.

Bruce, I do not disagree at all. But before you can teach this stuff you need a large cadre of instructors who know it well enough to teach it. It is a Catch 22 of sorts.

The way to solve the problem is just do it. The good instructors will get the message and get the training.

-Skip

The update rate and geographical dispersion of the datasets seems a bit thin on these products, don't you think?

When I did my weekend workshops, I used to offer instructors a deeply discounted rate and even offered them to attend for free if the flight school hosted my program. Even with a discount and even when free, I never got instructors to attend. It seems as if they didn't want to get training versus making money with students on the weekend when they are the busiest. Go figure.

It's not an excuse, but...

For most flight school CFIs, the priority is mixed: log hours, earn enough to buy more ramen noodles and gas.

EVERYTHING else is secondary -- especially since the students are still figuring out the difference between Cumulus and Cirrus -- anything more than that is just too far out there.

It's not an excuse, but...

For most flight school CFIs, the priority is mixed: log hours, earn enough to buy more ramen noodles and gas.

EVERYTHING else is secondary -- especially since the students are still figuring out the difference between Cumulus and Cirrus -- anything more than that is just too far out there.
Which is not an adequate excuse.

Just like FAA has to start getting Rotax's 4 stroke stuff in the IA refresher courses, so FAA needs to get RUC into their syllabi for everybody, too.

Which is not an adequate excuse.

Just like FAA has to start getting Rotax's 4 stroke stuff in the IA refresher courses, so FAA needs to get RUC into their syllabi for everybody, too.

Well, there's rules and there's reality.

Only way to make it happen is to cause enough pain or reward (Humans 101).

Are you speaking about the Skew-T log (p) charts or the SIGWX charts? I'd agree that the update rate on the SIGWX charts are a bit slow, but the Skew-T log (p) charts are refreshed/updated hourly for the RUC model and are available at a 20 km resolution (10.8 nautical miles). Personally, I think that's a pretty high resolution in time and space.

That's the resolution of the output, but what's the distribution of the sensors?

dan,

the RUC soundings are forecasts, not observations.

Back