Have the 30-day layoff notices gone out?

comanchepilot

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Joe Farrell, yeah, him
Been widely reported that the FAA wants to close certain towers. Also widely reported that they must give 30 days advance notice to the affected employees.

Does anyone know if the 30 days notices have actually been generated yet?

No, they have not. It may be April before the situation is resolved.

well, then they can't exactly close the towers next month then . . . .at least not until April 20 or so. What an absolute joke. . .

No, they have not. It may be April before the situation is resolved.
Really? What are they waiting for.....hoping it goes away like a bad dream?

Notices already went out (I believe even before the sequester became official) in the DoD.

Our tower manager came to our Pancake breakfast on March 2nd and told us he was handing out notices on Monday March 4th for closure on April 4th.

Our tower manager came to our Pancake breakfast on March 2nd and told us he was handing out notices on Monday March 4th for closure on April 4th.

So why does Ron say 'No,' usually Ron has the inside scoop on this . . .

Is there a way to get a list? How come AOPA/EAA has not published such a list of places where the notices have gone out? Seems like this would be an important list to know.

So why does Ron say 'No,' usually Ron has the inside scoop on this . . .

Is there a way to get a list? How come AOPA/EAA has not published such a list of places where the notices have gone out? Seems like this would be an important list to know.
They probably haven't handed out notices to every tower that was on the initial list....hoping for the best. My guess is that Ron knows of one that hasn't sent out notices and could be assuming that it is the same for all.

I have heard from some ATC types I know that the notices have gone out and schedule changes are being made to those that are staying on.

They probably haven't handed out notices to every tower that was on the initial list....hoping for the best. My guess is that Ron knows of one that hasn't sent out notices and could be assuming that it is the same for all.

that would make sense - its not like you can make a phone call and ask whomever answers the phone if they are getting laid off in 2 weeks . . . I mean you can, but its not very nice.

Then there is this.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/blog/morning_call/2013/03/amendment-may-halt-control-tower.html

An amendment put forth by two Republican senators could stave off the closings of 200 control towers at smaller airports around the U.S. — at least two in Central Texas are in danger of being shut down.

U.S. Sen. Jerry Moran, R-Kansas, and Sen. James Inofe, R-Okla., co-sponsored an amendment to a continuing resolution that seeks to restore about $50 million in funding for the contract control tower program that was cut in the Federal Aviation Administration's response to the sequester's automatic spending reductions, the Pittsburgh Business Times reports. It also would take away $50 million of the FAA's research and capital funding.

well, then they can't exactly close the towers next month then . . . .at least not until April 20 or so. What an absolute joke. . .

Because many hope that once a budget or another continuing resolution (whichever) is passed to take effect at the end of the current CR on March 28, the language will modify the sequester legislation allowing agencies to reallocate spending priorities to address the reductions instead of the thousand cuts approach - something that is largely not available to agencies at the moment.

Last edited:
Been widely reported that the FAA wants to close certain towers. Also widely reported that they must give 30 days advance notice to the affected employees.

Does anyone know if the 30 days notices have actually been generated yet?

They have.

Isn't the FAA still evaluating the "here's why we deserve to stay open" replies that were sent from all the condemned towers? I think they said they weren't publishing an official list of closures until the 22nd? Doesn't seem appropriate to send out notices before that.

Anyone know if the contract towers also have a 30 day notification requirement?

Word from e Maryland airport managers meeting last week is "stand by" and they may not have any word to put out before the end of the month. They might still close them on April 7 with less than 30 days notice of the final decision. OTOH, the emergency legislation introduced in Congress a few days ago exempting those towers from the sequestration may pass and the towers will all stay open. It's really all "up in the air" at this point, and nobody really knows what will happen or when. And I heard that from both airport managers and controllers at different airports.

Notices already went out (I believe even before the sequester became official) in the DoD.

Maybe that is because DoD is the only branch of government that knows how to follow orders.

Maybe that is because DoD is the only branch of government that knows how to follow orders.

I work for the Army. We were told our notices are coming this Friday (22 March). Our first furlough day will be 26 April and furloughs for FY13 end 22 September.

But...that's just us.

Those notices were likely the required union notifications. There was a couple week union negotiation period prior to the letters going out to the DOD workforce. That starts the 30-day clock for us.

I'm wondering if this is real money cuts or something like we have 8 slots, but one vacancy, so that 1/8 = 12 percent money we're not spending so we can say we're saving our percentage by furrowing that vacancy.

I'm wondering if this is real money cuts or something like we have 8 slots, but one vacancy, so that 1/8 = 12 percent money we're not spending so we can say we're saving our percentage by furrowing that vacancy.

It depends on the agency. As i understand it, the FAA is planning full time furloughs for employees of designated facilities, while the DoD is doing a one day a week furlough for all civil servant employees across the board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It depends on the agency. As i understand it, the FAA is planning full time furloughs for employees of designated facilities, while the DoD is doing a one day a week furlough for all civil servant employees across the board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For the FAA the furloughs for Inspectors are one per pay period but since they are essential personnel they still have to work that day, so in essence a pay cut.

Not sure what will happen with the non essential personnel. As with most things government believe it when you see it. While I was at the agency I went through a couple of these gyrations with the budget and CR's.

Back