Have any of you done this course?

The FAA made Inspector take the class. Even had to pass a test at the end and print out the results to get credit at least on the version we took. It was a good class.

Stache

I have.

I thought it was pretty informative, especially the story that is the introduction to the ground icing course. Interesting how they figured it out.

The biggest change I am reading is the FAA is pushing to start the boots cycling at the first sign of ice, not after 1/4" or whatever we might have read before, accumulation.
And the tailplane stall issue.... geez I wonder if most pilots would a recognize it and b take the correct action! Flaps UP? ReDUCE thrust? Pull!

I learned a couple things, such as the fact that I've been confused as to which was clear ice and which was rime. At low accumulation levels it seems the biggest differentiator is that clear will form two ridges on the edges of the stagnation zone of the wing leading edge vs one with rime. Also I was unaware of the rotation speed limits of the various types of deice fluid and didn't know that light planes shouldn't use types II-IV.

BTW, when I got to the end it got "stuck" and I couldn't go on. There was really no indication that I was at the end other than the lack of any way out except the exit button which was present all along.

Back