Hartzell vs. MT propeller on C172 O-360

cba320

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Clint Bruton
Hello, I am new to this forum and was hoping to get some ‘expert’ input. I’ve been a professional pilot for many years, but have never owned an airplane until very recently.

I now have a 1958 C172 with a Penn Yan O-360-A1A conversion. The airplane currently has a Hartzell C2YK 76” prop that is affected by AD 2009 22 03.

I’m looking to get out of this AD problem. I’ve been considering a later model (non-AD), low-time used Hartzell C2YK 76” prop or a low-time used MT MTV-15-B/205-58.

I’d love to test fly an MT, but don’t have access to an airplane with one installed. I am hoping that any of you that have switched from the Hartzell to the MT would share your experiences.

Is the MT really worth the extra expense?
Is there really that drastic of a difference flying the MT?
How does the stainless leading edge hold up?
ANY comments on the MT vs. Hartzell are welcome.

An additional concern of mine: I like to occasionally operate on gravel. The current Hartzell prop is 76”. The MT is 80” and (as I understand it) can be trimmed to 78”---though I'd hate to have to trim that beautiful prop! Has anyone here used a prop that is > 76” on a C172? Will reducing my prop clearance by 2” have a big effect on how much FOD I pick up.

Thank you in advance for any info you can pass along!

Is the MT really worth the extra expense?
Is there really that drastic of a difference flying the MT?
How does the stainless leading edge hold up?
ANY comments on the MT vs. Hartzell are welcome.

An additional concern of mine: I like to occasionally operate on gravel. The current Hartzell prop is 76”. The MT is 80” and (as I understand it) can be trimmed to 78”---though I'd hate to have to trim that beautiful prop! Has anyone here used a prop that is > 76” on a C172? Will reducing my prop clearance by 2” have a big effect on how much FOD I pick up.
Make sure that MT can be trimmed. The TCDS for the prop will have a limit. The MT we have on the diesel 182 here (SMA) is a wooden propeller with a skin of carbon fiber, and it cracked. Just over 200 hours on it. Had to buy a new blade. $$$. Trimming the prop would expose the wood. The stainless LE dents easily. And yes, 2" less ground clearance will pick up more rocks.

Long live taildraggers! Lots of ground clearance. Very few propeller dings.

Dan

Make sure that MT can be trimmed. The TCDS for the prop will have a limit. The MT we have on the diesel 182 here (SMA) is a wooden propeller with a skin of carbon fiber, and it cracked. Just over 200 hours on it. Had to buy a new blade. $$$. Trimming the prop would expose the wood. The stainless LE dents easily. And yes, 2" less ground clearance will pick up more rocks.

Long live taildraggers! Lots of ground clearance. Very few propeller dings.

Dan

Thanks Dan,

My understanding is that the MT 205cm (80") can be trimmed to 200cm (78"). That would provide 1" less clearance than the 76" Hartzell that is on the plane.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward a newer Hartzell prop.

Is your MT prop noticeably smoother running or quieter than an aluminum prop? Aside from weight savings and a little extra thrust, what is so great about MT?

Clint - are you aware that you can replace your existing hub to terminate the AD? The shop will simply replace your hub with a new hub and use your existing blades & so on. A new hub will cost about $3500, plus the labor.

Clint - are you aware that you can replace your existing hub to terminate the AD? The shop will simply replace your hub with a new hub and use your existing blades & so on. A new hub will cost about $3500, plus the labor.

I was gonna say...

But maybe a low time prop can be had for less than 3500+ labor:dunno:

Thanks KRyan and Duncan,

Yes, I've considered a new hub and have been quoted $3000, plus labor. Then another $1500-2000 for O/H. I'd have a 0 SMOH prop with 30+ year old blades.

While they aren't a dime-a-dozen, there are quite a few non-AD Hartzell props available on the used market. The Husky pilots seem to love the MT prop and are taking some very low time Hartzells off and selling them.

I'm thinking a relatively new, low-time non-AD Hartzell prop is the way to go. It will cost maybe $1500 more but I'd feel better about it in the long run.

I was hoping that someone would chime in on this discussion and tell me how fabulous the MT prop is, that it is the ONLY way to go, and that I'd never want to go back to an aluminum blade. :dunno:

It's looking like I'll stick with the old-school prop! :)

Thanks again for the input, I really appreciate it.

We can stir the pot up more and ask if you have looked at McCaulleys:lol:

We can stir the pot up more and ask if you have looked at McCaulleys:lol:

I did briefly look for a McCauley that was STC'd for this airplane, but the only one I saw was fixed-pitch.

If there is a CS McCauley available for this airplane that I didn't find, I don't want to know about it now!!! :lol:

Back