Harrier goes down

Would be interested to know what exactly happened.

Why do they need to say crap like "...who both cried at the sight outside."

Would be interested to know what exactly happened.

Why do they need to say crap like "...who both cried at the sight outside."

single engine jet with a pretty bad track record of losing that one motor......they don't call it the north carolina lawn dart for nothing. At least that would be my outsider's guess

Not good. I think this is the second AV-8 that Yuma has lost in a month.

single engine jet with a pretty bad track record of losing that one motor......they don't call it the north carolina lawn dart for nothing. At least that would be my outsider's guess

I understand that, I'm just really curious what he was doing. He wasn't near a base so he probably wasn't landing or taking off, and because he ended up in somebody's house he probably lost that engine at a low alt, otherwise he would have picked a safer crashing spot. I know those guys do quite a bit of low altitude ops but when I lived around there I don't remember seeing them fly low over towns very often.

I understand that, I'm just really curious what he was doing. He wasn't near a base so he probably wasn't landing or taking off, and because he ended up in somebody's house he probably lost that engine at a low alt, otherwise he would have picked a safer crashing spot. I know those guys do quite a bit of low altitude ops but when I lived around there I don't remember seeing them fly low over towns very often.

Article says he went down in Imperial, CA. That's right next to NAF El Centro. They get Navy / Marine jets there from all over the country. Could've easily been on final to rwy 26 and lost his engine.

My guess would be trying to make the runway at El Centro from the east, which takes you directly over Imperial (where the jet went down). There is a lot of Harrier activity in the El Centro ranges, so that would be the closest divert if something went wrong out in shade tree or loom lobby (both bombing ranges within a few miles of el centro)

edit: McFly beat me to it. what he said. also, this is pure speculation on my part

Article says he went down in Imperial, CA. That's right next to NAF El Centro. They get Navy / Marine jets there from all over the country. Could've easily been on final to rwy 26 and lost his engine.

My guess would be trying to make the runway at El Centro from the east, which takes you directly over Imperial (where the jet went down). There is a lot of Harrier activity in the El Centro ranges, so that would be the closest divert if something went wrong out in shade tree or loom lobby (both bombing ranges within a few miles of el centro)

edit: McFly beat me to it. what he said. also, this is pure speculation on my part

Okay I'm an idiot, disregard my comment.
I forgot about El Centro, was thinking of the proximate to Yuma.

Glad it wasn't a real disaster,property can be replaced.

Back