Hardy Heron?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
So it looks like Ubuntu 8.04: Hardy Heron is released. Anyone have any experience with this yet? I'm in the midst of downloading the UbuntuStudio image now...I'm curious if its a big difference from Gutsy Gibbon.

I've heard (through a couple of forum posts) that they're working a couple of things out. I'd wait a week or two to see how that goes.

Mind you, I don't really know what I'm talking about...but I was researching something last night and just read this line...

I've got 8.04 installed on my laptop just to see how it goes, but since the problems with Hardy have been reported I decided to stay at Gutsy on my desktop for awhile.

I usually wait a while, unless there's some must-have feature or fix that I need.

Rich

Well...there's some bugs for sure....biggest one being that after installing the restricted driver for NVidia, the X server actually freezes, and never crashes. Cannot switch terminals, cannot restart, can only force the computer off by holding the power button. Yikes. There is a possible work around by installing the new beta NVidia drivers, which I'm trying now, but that's a giant PITA. If it works, woohoo, because 8.04 looks and feels awesome minus this one problem.

Did you upgrade or did you install fresh?

Did you upgrade or did you install fresh?

Fresh install. The upgrade failed horribly and made the system unstable. This might be the first build that has been more problematic than useful right off the bat....

But I am not giving up. I have a dual boot of Feisty Fawn and Hardy Heron now. Until Hardy works right, I can at least switch back to Feisty for a bit to research :D

Fresh install. The upgrade failed horribly and made the system unstable. This might be the first build that has been more problematic than useful right off the bat....

But I am not giving up. I have a dual boot of Feisty Fawn and Hardy Heron now. Until Hardy works right, I can at least switch back to Feisty for a bit to research :D
What's with these names? What's the next one, Indignant Iguana?:rofl:

And my ATI drivers in my Vista box cause the same problem when watching Media Center! Between the two, I think I'd prefer Ubuntu!

Well...there's some bugs for sure....biggest one being that after installing the restricted driver for NVidia, the X server actually freezes, and never crashes. Cannot switch terminals, cannot restart, can only force the computer off by holding the power button. Yikes. There is a possible work around by installing the new beta NVidia drivers, which I'm trying now, but that's a giant PITA. If it works, woohoo, because 8.04 looks and feels awesome minus this one problem.

Nick, check this out...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=783119

It has been a few years--but I used to always compile the kernel, Xfree86 (before Xorg), and the nvidia drivers from scratch. It's actually a pretty simple process once you understand the workings.

It has been a few years--but I used to always compile the kernel, Xfree86 (before Xorg), and the nvidia drivers from scratch. It's actually a pretty simple process once you understand the workings.
What the hell did you just say??? :dunno:

:goofy:

Well, there's a bunch of updates released today. Some look like they may help. I'm installing those, and then the restricted nVidia drivers, and we'll see what happens!

Back