Hard core! Deadstick landing at Aspen. No prop.

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
ASPEN — Four people emerged unscathed from an aircraft Wednesday after a pilot glided it 8 miles, without its propeller, to a safe landing at the Aspen-Pitkin County Airport.

I’ve never actually heard of a propeller fall off,” Cox said.

Cox’s Piper Malibu dates back to 1988, but the Continental engine was a recently re-manufactured model with just 147 hours in the air.

Cox believes it was a metallurgical defect where the propeller meets the crank shaft in the nose of the plane that caused the problem, and said he hopes the repair will be covered in a warranty.

http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20071227/NEWS/27569632
:hairraise:

First, Bravo Zulu for the great job in piloting and staying cool. I wouldn't relish landing at Aspen in CAVU with a functioning engine.

As we recall Senator Inhofe also lost the prop on his Mooney(?).

Gotta love those Continentals. Cirrus had a run of new Continentals that had crankshaft breaks. We had one that landed in a field and was trucked in for a new engine in the hangar at home.

man - what that must have done to his CG? (not to mention his boxers/briefs) ...

As we recall Senator Inhofe also lost the prop on his Mooney(?).
It was a Tiger, and the prop had been improperly installed. And he did a fine job gliding it to a nearby airfield where he landed in the grass.

This is one of my Malibu customers. It lost the whole crankshaft end ( flange, studs, and prop de-ice slip ring. The TSIO550 engine had about 150 hrs since factory rebuild. I hope this isn't the beginning of a new crankshaft AD. The owner has a lot of time in his malibu and did an excellent job of flying the aircraft. He said oil on the windshield started him turning back then a big bang.

Regards, Kevin

some pictures i got in an email. pretty amazing

Attachments

• malibu1.jpg
    malibu1.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 44
  • malibu2.jpg
    malibu2.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 40
  • malibu3.jpg
    malibu3.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 29
  • malibu4.jpg
    malibu4.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 36
  • malibu5.jpg
    malibu5.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 33
Wow. Not only deadstick..at Aspen...but with an oil covering the entire windshield? Bravo Zulu, indeed.

Somehow, I'm not surprised that the engine only had 150 hours on it. Probably replaced a perfectly good engine with this one.

-Felix

The pilot did a great job getting back on the ground. I'm glad he had the altitude and glide range to the airport.

I'll be interested in hearing more on that engine.

Back