Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy, an actual hanger topic

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy, an actual hangar topic

Just got off the phone with the airport that I have a hangar at, 10C. They are finishing up a runway widening and lengthing project. I took it as an opportunity to talk to the guy who does all the real work to see if they could also come in and pave my entire hangar. I only have an asphalt pad for the wheels to sit on and then rocks all the way around.

Well they just finished it and also repaved the appron that goes form the hangar to the taxiway for me. Cool! it will be even nicer than it was before. When it would rain the water would sometimes seep through from the dirt and gravel and make the hangar a little musty, this should keep it drier in there now.

Last edited:
Sa-weet!

I have to swing by 10C sometime, check the place out... I grew up and my folks still live in Woodstock. And once I (finally) finish my PPL, I'd like to fly out there.

smigaldi said:
Just got off the phone with the airport that I have a hanger at, 10C. They are finishing up a runway widening and lengthing project. I took it as an opportunity to talk to the guy who does all the real work to see if they could also come in and pave my entire hanger. I only have an asphalt pad for the wheels to sit on and then rocks all the way around.

Well they just finished it and also repaved the appron that goes form the hanger to the taxiway for me. Cool! it will be even nicer than it was before. When it would rain the water would sometimes seep through from the dirt and gravel and make the hanger a little musty, this should keep it drier in there now.

[note: bold added for empasis]

You keep your hanger at the airport? I usually keep mine in a closet.

Pave a hanger? Pave it completely? If you pave a hanger doesn't the asphalt's weight cause the wire hoop to pull open and then your shirt falls on the closet floor? What's the difference between partially paving a hanger and completely paving it? Asphalt on both sides of the wire?

If you move the hanger to another closet doesn't that mess up the whole hanger-taxiway alignment and then the paved apron is worthless?

Not sure what relationship paving the hanger has to do with water seepage through the hanger and keeping things drier, but I understand why musty would be bad--who likes foul smelling shirts.

hang·er (h
abreve.gif
ng
prime.gif
schwa.gif
r) n.

A contrivance to which something hangs or by which something is hung, as:
  1. A device around which a garment is draped for hanging from a hook or rod.
han·gar (h
abreve.gif
ng
prime.gif
schwa.gif
r, h
abreve.gif
ng
prime.gif
g
schwa.gif
r) n.

A shelter especially for housing or repairing aircraft.

:rofl:

The above offered in total jest--personally I think the spelling and grammar Nazi's need a life.

Last edited:
Ed Guthrie said:
hang·er (h
abreve.gif
ng
prime.gif
schwa.gif
r) n.

han·gar (h
abreve.gif
ng
prime.gif
schwa.gif
r, h
abreve.gif
ng
prime.gif
g
schwa.gif
r) n.

The above offered in total jest--personally I think the spelling and grammar Nazi's need a life.
oopps

I must say though you do have 'flare' with grammar :D:D

Ed Guthrie said:

Pave a hanger? Pave it completely? If you pave a hanger doesn't the asphalt's weight cause the wire hoop to pull open and then your shirt falls on the closet floor? What's the difference between partially paving a hanger and completely paving it? Asphalt on both sides of the wire?

If you move the hanger to another closet doesn't that mess up the whole hanger-taxiway alignment and then the paved apron is worthless?

Not sure what relationship paving the hanger has to do with water seepage through the hanger and keeping things drier, but I understand why musty would be bad--who likes foul smelling shirts.

hang·er (h
abreve.gif
ng
prime.gif
schwa.gif
r) n.

han·gar (h
abreve.gif
ng
prime.gif
schwa.gif
r, h
abreve.gif
ng
prime.gif
g
schwa.gif
r) n.

Excellent insight!

Ed Guthrie said:

hang·er (h
abreve.gif
ng
prime.gif
schwa.gif
r) n.

han·gar (h
abreve.gif
ng
prime.gif
schwa.gif
r, h
abreve.gif
ng
prime.gif
g
schwa.gif
r) n.

Just as an historical BTW, didn't they used to actually hang off the floor by wires the early fabric aircraft when storing to prevent mice from gnawing and nesting at the doped fabric? Hence, "hang-garage" was shortened to the common term we use now?

cherokeeflyboy said:
It's It is
Yeah, and "it's" is a contraction for "it is" . . . where folks go wrong is to use "it's" for the possessive of "it" : It has three feet. Those are its [not it's] feet, right there.

No grammar nazi, here - I only bring it up after someone else does!! :D

At any rate...

I went out to my hangur today to see the finished work. It was great, the hangir no longer had a musty smell. I can already tell that there is less seepage of moisture coming from the ground. This is really going to make my hangor much nicer than it has been!!

I am glad I did this. No if we can just get the airport reopened, sigh!

Last edited:
smigaldi said:
At any rate...

I went out to my hangur today to see the finished work. It was great, the hangir no longer had a musty smell. I can already tell that there is less seepage of moisture coming from the ground. This is really going to make my hangor much nicer than it has been!!

I am glad I did this. No if we can just get the airport reopened, sigh!
Glad you got the HANG of it!

A real question about the hangar. Now that it is all asphalt for the floor, how long should I wait until I seal it? Or should not I not seal it at all?

Back