Happy birthday Ol' Paint

I would assume it flew for the first time out of KCEA but I looked up former names of that airport and surrounding ones and came up with nothing. :dunno:

Two things came to mind when I read your first post on this thread...

1) Could that be a private Cessna runway/airport identifier from that era?
2) How is it possible that @Pilawt of all people wouldn't know the answer to this question? o_O :eek::D

Too bad they didn't type it. Is it Sierra Zero Romeo or Five Zero Romeo, Lockhart, TX?

I've never used the ICAO letters for my log entries, ever since I learned to fly in the early '70s. Always abbreviations ..."AUB" instead of "S50", "Arl" instead of "AWO," etc. Don't think it made a whole of of difference back then. Flight plans were something you told the FSS operator, not something you typed into three or four letter fields on a computer.

"SOR" is probably an internal company designator, like South Operations Ramp.

Ron Wanttaja

My trusty 172N took flight for the first time 43 years ago tomorrow. :)

Anybody know what the "SOR" refers to? I can't find an airport with that identifier. I thought 172s were built at Independence KS?

Mines a Christmas baby! First flight shows 12-23-77.

Mystery solved. A poster on the Cessna 172 Club message board said “SOR” was the old identifier for Strother Field (now WLD), where Skyhawks were hatched in those days.

I'll bet that information gets archived on one of the upper, ladder-access-only shelves in the library. ;)

Back