Hannah the Hurricane plans to visit... argh

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Hi all

I understand Hannah the Hurricane is going to visit my 'hood starting Friday (just my luck, I was supposed to fly down this weekend).

I have hurricane panels for my SC house. What category storm is necessary for the panels - if Hannah never goes beyond a Cat 1, are the odds decent that I won't head down next wkd to a soggy house? I could probably find someone today to put them on, but I don't want to bother anyone if it's probably not necessary.

If you've been through this drill before - how powerful does the storm need to be in order for you to be certain to put your panels up on your windows? I know they are already calling for evacuations of Beaufort County starting tomorrow.

I know this is nothing compared to what others have had to deal with! I just hope I don't lose windows due to this. sigh.

Cat 3 is where you really want to start watching out. That is if you are not right at the coast and have elevations above the predicted storm surge level. Most of the Cat 1 and 2 storms casue damage from all the rain. In the pics I am attaching it was the last Hurricane I was in, a cat 2 and even the motorcycle in the parking lot did not tip over, but we lost a section of fence and a tree.

Cat 1 and 2 are like big rain storms with a lot of wind. I have seen people go out driving in them to wathc the storm. But cat 3 is really where I start to worry, get the shutters up, start to think about an exit strategy. Cat 4 and higher get the heck out of the way!!!

I have only been in one Cat 3 and was hold up for the night. I did go outside once and the wind was so strong I could not even walk against it.

Attachments

• IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0439.jpg
    IMG_0439.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0446.jpg
    IMG_0446.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0445.jpg
    IMG_0445.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
Beth...

Assuming that you've got double-pane windows and decent doors, a Cat I may not be that bad. Sliding doors are a potential problem, as they're bigger targets. The biggest danger in a Cat 1 to glass is flying objects.... if you don't have a lot of trees or stuff in the yard (and the neighbors don't either), the risk is lower.

I've spent the night in a trailer (in the woods, atop a mountain) as a decaying storm came by (TS winds). Survived fine with no damage.

The other question is storm surge & flooding: how high are you above sea level, and how far are you from a body of water?

Thanks Bill and Scott!

I think I'm at 25 feet above sea level, give or take, and about a mile from the river and maybe 5 miles from the intercoastal waterway - and a half mile or so beyond that (if that?) is the ocean.

No sliding doors, and, the only windows I'd be worried about are the ground floor front and back ones - the side windows should be fine.

I'm trying to contact a neighbor to see if they are going to bother putting up theirs or not.

I just called my HOA and she, and her neighbors (who live in my hood) aren't going to bother with the panels unless it goes above a Cat 1. I do have a guy I can call however... I'll wait and see.

Back