Hangar roof leaks

linuxjim

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JJ
Hello,
I have a hangar that is part of an association. The roof is getting in rough shape (unfortunately it only leaks in my hangar). Where the screws are in the metal is a little concave and therefore water has pooled and rusted. In fact, some of the rusted holes are up to a 1" diameter (bigger than the screw head).

We've had it patched (sanded and new epoxy) 3 times in the last year by a contractor. The contractor has said our only options are either to replace part of, or the whole roof.

Wondering if any of you have dealt with this and know of other options to seal, fix or replace the roof in a more reasonable way than simply replacing all the sheet metal?

Sheet metal isn't particularly expensive. Just have it replaced. If the rest of the roof isn't showing signs of the metal fatigue/corrosion, then leave it be and just replace the damaged panels. Otherwise just replace it all.

I have a roofing company. Shoot me a PM and I will see if I can help you.

not sure what you mean by association, but if you're renting like i was and had this problem, I just got a bucket of the silver roofing tar stuff (can't recall what it's really called) and i got up on my roof at night with my bright work lights aimed up. I slathered some of that stuff anywhere i could see light, which was around many of the screws. it didn't leak anymore for the 2 years afterward that i had that hangar.

Back